PDA

View Full Version : GPS for Jaguar

Dennis Kenyon
6th Nov 2015, 12:10
Now come on lads ... surely there must be a PC/GPS whizz kid or two on here.

Own an impressive Jaguar XKR ... nicely housed and displayed GPS which includes a choice of voice commands. My favourite is Jane (BBC accent and all that!) Car drives well ... not too horrific on fuel ... and the convertible version is an absolute pleasure when the sun is out.

BUT .... mine is about 2008 as is the installed GPS which is now out of date. Just try asking your fancy Jag dealer to provide an updated GPS disc. (I've tried three) No updates available for that system is all you get! A £70 grand car (new - I bought her SH) but the GPS is now about as useful as a chocolate teapot. (Brendan O Brien's favourite expression)

SO Here's the question ... any whizz kid out there who could programme & update the existing Jaguar disc? ... or supply a new 2015 one that will fit in the existing box housed in the boot. Full system part number and original disc numbers/details available.

AND I'll pay up to a couple of hundred quid plus VAT for a working, up to date disc. Have just purchased the Garmin Nuvi 3598 LMT-D GPS which is fantastic, but it looks horrid glued to the windscreen and an open invitation to get knicked!

HELP ME PLEASE! Dennis K.

normalbloke
6th Nov 2015, 13:05
Hi Dennis,
I can't help you directly. The manufacturers are usually very backwards at supporting the inbuilt systems for more than a few years and have often made them pretty watertight. I would suggest trying a Jag specific forum or the Jaguar section of Pistonheads for a workaround or solution.

Jaguar - Page 1 - Pistonheads (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=85&mid=56825)

I wish you the best of luck

Peter-RB
6th Nov 2015, 13:08
HI DK,

You will possibly be on a fools errand, a couple of my pals have XKE Ht and conv with the same problem, one of them is so bad at direction if he fell into a box of nipples he would surface sucking his own thumb.. so he tried really hard, finished up going the Garmin route, at least with that one you can spend 20 mins and update it every 6 months, my other pal like me in my Jagwah well we have good inbuilt compass and a typical Mans mans ability NOT EVER NEVER to ask directions, I sometime need to cos times money..
My regards Peter R-B Lancashire:ok:

Union Jack
6th Nov 2015, 13:19
2015 Sat Nav update Disc for Jaguar XF and XK £34 (http://www.satnavdiscsale.com/jaguar-2015-sat-nav-update-disc-for-all-xf-and-xk-denso-navigation-108-p.asp) looks a reasonable waypoint, sorry, starting point.

Jack:ok:

Dennis Kenyon
6th Nov 2015, 19:11
Thanks PB & UJ for the pointers. Have made contact but it seems the only update discs around are for the DENSO Nav system ... which I don't have!! I'm rather hoping some PC geek on here as the knowledge/skills to programme mine .... and for money! Dennis K.

heli1
6th Nov 2015, 19:52
Hi Dennis.....my XKR is a one off 2005 model with equipment including the original GPS and Motorola Phone installation.....it's worth more keeping it original I think and buying a Tom Tom if you don't want to use your skills at map reading !

GoodGrief
6th Nov 2015, 20:34
Maybe this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDURKjyx7SQ

Evil Twin
6th Nov 2015, 20:35
Dennis I had a similar issue with my Lexus last year, about the same vintage, Lexus wanted $350 for an up to date disk. I had a sniff around a few GPS and Lexus forums and found that I could download the data file and burn that on to a DVD, needs to be done a certain way as it's an .iso file. Fixed the problem instantly and for the cost of a blank DVD and a bit of time.

I'd come help you out myself but as I'm in Australia it'd be a bit of a trek. However, I will have a look around and see if I can find the file for you. Any 15 year old should then be able to help you out with the rest.

Updated. Have a look at this link http://www.satnavdisc.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=173&product_id=287

Wageslave
6th Nov 2015, 23:40
Dennis, have you lost the ability to read a map or sumpn???

I've just bought an '03 XK8 and was told by various people that the built in satnavs were not reprogrammable though that may not relate to your later model. The various owners fora are loaded with info on such subjects.

I'd consider removing the useless thing and getting a modern unit mounted behind the dash in its place. All you'll see is the screen, no one will be able to tell the difference plus it'll probably be a damn sight easier to use.

I have a tomtom with the cable led behind the dash, thru the centre air vent hose and just the plug showing on the passenger side of the grille. There's enough slack to plug it into the unit when I need it using an air-vent mount. When not in use the slack slides back into the air hose and the head lives in the armrest that the daft motorola telephone handset vacated on it's last journey (to the bin).