PDA

View Full Version : WSOp question (yes I've tried google and RAF website)

CptDesire
5th Nov 2015, 12:02
Guys I have a few questions reference WSOp which I’d appreciate if any current or former serving aircrew could answer. Its specifically about the EW stream, careers website is incredibly vague about the details its giving away, I’m ex regular RAF Regt too and still serving guys I’ve spoken too have no idea about the current restructuring. There was quite a good response to a WSOp post on here last year, however I'm curious if anyone has more current knowledge.

I passed CBAT last week however did not score high enough for my first choice of RPAS, however I am more interested in working with ISTAR specifically UAVs than commissioning, I’ve still scored high enough to carry my application forward for ABM or ATC but I’m interested in a more hands on role therefor I’m going to choose WSOp.

Firstly does any have any idea how long the current EW training is (I’m aware there’s no guarantees I’ll be streamed as such), since itsrecent restructuring no one I know (including the AFCO) seem to have any ideas? I’m booked on a Sqn visit to Waddington so I’ll eventually be able to raise these questions myself in the near future, but out of pure interest I’d like a heads up before I go there.

Secondly, is there now a specific stream for UAV ISTAR within EW or an umbrella skill set that could mean postings to other surveillance aircraft?

Finally any ideas why WSOp salary has decreased? I remember many moons ago when I initially joined up WSOp starting salary was around 36k and now it seems to have decreased to 33k? DO WSOp’s still receive the now renamed flying pay also?

I appreciate any help, PM me or reply on this thread if possible.

Cheers.

betty swallox
5th Nov 2015, 12:36
I have some contacts in that field, so I shall pass on your message. Standby.....

ChristianR354
5th Nov 2015, 12:44
The below news update was posted on the RAF Website not too long ago about a few WSOps who have been training with FAA Observers. Again it's a bit vague but it states that it was a 16 week training programme.

RAF train with the Royal Navy at RNAS Culdrose (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-train-with-the-royal-navy-at-rnas-culdrose-23102015)

I'd take a guess that the WSOps are due to go EW as 750Sqn fly a beefed up King Air (Avenger) with Sensors etc in the rear?

ALM In Waiting
5th Nov 2015, 12:46
I am no expert on the ISTAR side of the WSOp house, but would presume the initial trade training would be at Crantanamo.
I'm sure others will post fresher info.
As for pay, it's currently high band by rank and then add on the appropriate level of Recruitment and Retention Pay (flying pay in old money.
So a level 7 sgt on middle rate RRP would be looking at just short of £43K before tax and deductions.
Hope this helps.

betty swallox
5th Nov 2015, 12:56
Check you pm's...

CptDesire
5th Nov 2015, 14:01
Thanks for the prompt reply guys.

I’m basically at a cross roads between WSOp and commissioning (all being well I pass OASC), selecting WSOp will be heavily weighted by the possibility of working on Reaper/Pred.

GipsyMagpie
6th Nov 2015, 06:14
Thanks for the prompt reply guys.

I’m basically at a cross roads between WSOp and commissioning (all being well I pass OASC), selecting WSOp will be heavily weighted by the possibility of working on Reaper/Pred.

Just be aware that flying pay (aka Recruitment and retention pay (flying)) is going to change before you pass the post. It is going to be shifted right in people's careers to retain people when the military need them rather than early when they are less likely tobleave anyway. I think the timing will be either after the SDSR or next years pay review report.

Whatever you do the job will be great...training for the job occasionally less so.

Just This Once...
6th Nov 2015, 06:42
Corporal rank & pay may also be in the WSOp future.

CptDesire
6th Nov 2015, 08:07
Just This Once, it would be very disappointing if this happens, however it would be in line with RN Aircrew, they've recently opened up direct entry with promotion to leading hand once training is complete. There were a few potential RN aircrew guys on my CBAT.

Just This Once...
6th Nov 2015, 08:19
Funnily enough it was the Navy who headed the review and put forward the recommendation.

CptDesire
6th Nov 2015, 09:56
Fingers crossed it does not take effect then or only affects RN. Direct Entry for RN aircrew is relatively new I think, must have only came in in previous 12 months.

PFMG
6th Nov 2015, 10:24
Since the branch is not exactly overwhelmed with applicants and if we get a future MPA/MMA we will need a lot more, I cannot see how this initiative would have crowds lining up at the doors of the recruiters, especially from currently serving personnel.

CptDesire
6th Nov 2015, 11:21
PFMG, agreed, there would little incentive from already serving airmen/women to remuster and start at the bottom of the ladder again if this were to come into service. I think there would be an a far larger decrease in applicants if this were to happen.

As unrealistic as it is I sincerely hope SAR winchmen eventually returns to the RAF too.