PDA

View Full Version : Checking in online for US destination for non USA citizens no longer possible?

pumpkin
30th Oct 2015, 12:44
Just tried to check in online for Cat C Firm flight to US and get a message after putting in the API, that system unavailable and have to check in at the airport... Called EK and they say new regulations (US Govt) state we have to check in at the airport, to have documents checked... This sounds like b.s. to me as they check passports anyway at the bag drop. Also a nightmare if tight connections within North America, coming back. Has anyone had this? Is the reason true or is it another IT total fail?

Emma Royds
30th Oct 2015, 14:55
Can you still select a seat or is the whole on line check in system not available?

I know from past experience using my ALT from LAX-DXB that I could select my seat on line but I could not create my own boarding pass since my credentials had to be verified at check in. That was no problem as I had a bag to drop off. EK unlike many other airlines, doesn't ask if you will be checking in bags when checking in online. There would be nothing to stop someone with hand luggage, checking in online and going direct to the gate, where only a cursory glance of you passport is often made.

pumpkin
30th Oct 2015, 15:12
No I couldn't seem to do that. As soon as you hit send after updating API info , it tells you some sort of unavailable system message and go to airport basically. Couldn't choose a seat .. When I called them, they assigned me a seat but could not check me in. But my bigger concern is when coming back I will have a tight connection from South America to the USA then on to DXB and now this will mean having to exit security with bags and go to ticketing to check in then re-entering security lines etc etc as I will not have a boarding pass for EK,,, and might miss my connection to EK. I am sure in the distant past could always check in online and choose a seat and get a boarding pass. What a pain in the a@@