PDA

View Full Version : Passing the time on long transits

mopardave
30th Oct 2015, 10:05
Gents.....and ladies.

This may be a dumb question, but how did you used to pass the time during long flights/patrols etc? Were there times when you could relax a little.....maybe enjoy a bit of banter? I'm sure back in the '80's, I saw a documentary that showed a tornado crew inserting an audio cassette and listening to dire straits on the way to Akrotiri.....did I dream this or was it the norm?

MD:ok:

Peter G-W
30th Oct 2015, 10:23
Quite the norm on the GR1. The F3 boys trialled it in Akrotiri to stave off the boredom between coming off the flag and crashing on the main runway, I believe.

Wensleydale
30th Oct 2015, 10:45
Who needs a tape when you can go live!!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/398456_152276174914671_1126006035_n.jpg?oh=785c919cbaa697a26 fb12afe4bcf9571&oe=56B7675F

Evalu8ter
30th Oct 2015, 10:59
P G-W,
Fleetwood Mac wasn't it? One of the most entertaining accident reports I've ever read.....

John Botwood
30th Oct 2015, 11:01
In the days of the Shackleton, time was spent looking out of observation ports. In excess of 30% of sightings were made in transit.
Mo

camelspyyder
30th Oct 2015, 11:03
Playing "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" on Trails.

"Chris Tarrant" on the Tanker (along with "phone-a-friends")

"Contestants" in the FJ

"The Audience" on the SAR Nimrod.

"Your next question for 8000lbs (of F34)..."

I have to admit the Audience used to have a quick conference and often chose the wrong answer on purpose.:ok:

INT_QRU
30th Oct 2015, 11:25
BBC world service on the HF, a snooze in ordnance or on top of the liferafts and lots of food.

Wensleydale
30th Oct 2015, 11:30
"For practice, for practice. There is smoke coming from......"

binbrook
30th Oct 2015, 11:41
Synchronising the engines by ear. Listening to the Light Programme on the radio compass (as long as the GH wasn't on). Counting Consol if over the ocean out of Gee cover.

Wan Wei Luke
30th Oct 2015, 11:44
Who needs a tape when you can go live!!

Wensleydale, I noticed that the rest of the crew kept their ear defenders on, but surely that sort of thing is banned under the Geneva Convention? :E

Stanwell
30th Oct 2015, 11:45
Down the back of a 'bou: Musical chairs - 'cept few could tell when the music stopped.

Dougie M
30th Oct 2015, 11:46
Directional Consultants had plenty to keep them occupied during off airways transits in certain places on the lonely planet

Willard Whyte
30th Oct 2015, 11:55
I was the 1997 S. Atlantic Scrabble champion (air).

Didn't have much serviceable nav. kit to keep me occupied, so just set course for S. Georgia and glanced up at the E290 after a couple of hours.

Pretty much the same technique from Bellingshausen Is. back to MPA, c'ept I didn't need to look at the radar for over 3 hours.

StickMonkey3
30th Oct 2015, 12:30
On the hourly position reports to Greek ATC, we used to make them with alternating words from the pilot and nav, in perfect cadence. Especially fun when the crew had different regional accents. Confused ATC no end!

Courtney Mil
30th Oct 2015, 12:37
For F-4, Hawk and F-3 I made patch chords that allowed me record from the I/c to a pocket cassette player and playback from it. A pocket full of tapes made for some in-flight entertainment. Not all back sweaters like Pink Floyd, though.

StickMonkey3
30th Oct 2015, 12:41
Needed to be in mono for correct playback, IIRC.

camelspyyder
30th Oct 2015, 12:48
re The Guitarist above.

I didnt know TOFO was on E3's ;)

Wander00
30th Oct 2015, 13:41
Three and a half hours Northern Cal - flying the bl@@dy aeroplane - no autopilot on the Canberra!

Pontius Navigator
30th Oct 2015, 14:32
Kit accuracy 3nm/hr, radar fix once per hr, 55 min kip/hr.

As TTN said elsewhere, the R88 camera head rest was brilliant as you could appear to be working.

On the Shack AEW, Charlie position was good for a snooze and lovely seats.

JW411
30th Oct 2015, 15:24
I can remember having a four for bridge on the Belfast flightdeck on several occasions.

Pontius Navigator
30th Oct 2015, 15:29
I understand on Beverleys they followed the oil slicks and went train spotting as the trains passed them.

hoodie
30th Oct 2015, 15:32
Via the Benny Cummerbund Appreciation Society, I give you: Games Played on Cabin Pressure (http://www.scoop.it/t/benedict-cumberbatch/p/1500079600/2012/03/28/games-played-on-cabin-pressure)

MPN11
30th Oct 2015, 15:47
In the past ... My string hammock slung above the ramp, watching the ice crystals forming.

In the present ... My seat reclined fully-flat, under a lightweight duvet ... after a nice meal, copious wine and a large port to go with the cheese course :cool: :cool:

Motleycallsign
30th Oct 2015, 16:36
I can remember having a four for bridge on the Belfast flightdeck on several occasions.

JW surely you had time for many rubbers of bridge on a Belslow transit.........

brakedwell
30th Oct 2015, 16:58
A little cuddle with the (lady) loadie, but only when it was dark :E

Courtney Mil
30th Oct 2015, 17:16
In the dark, you sure you got the girlie loadie?

goudie
30th Oct 2015, 17:29
Wot! No mention of ukkers? On Brits there was usually a game going on down the back. Especially when coming home from the Hong Kong dets.

mopardave
30th Oct 2015, 17:36
Who needs a tape when you can go live!!wensleydale, re your #3.........there's a man who looks like he's been caught doing something he shouldn't!

Love the "who wants to be a millionaire" jape.......priceless!! I've often wondered what you got up to? Having spent 30 years working with (almost without exception) men with too much time on their hands......I was just grateful to draw my pension. In fact, I did consider kissing the ground when the golden eagle sh*t into my bank account!!

Being a little bit naughty at work....whilst remaining professional and focussed of course, helped many a long shift pass by a little quicker!Keep 'em coming!

Lyneham Lad
30th Oct 2015, 19:36
I understand on Beverleys they followed the oil slicks and went train spotting as the trains passed them.

I can only comment as mere SLF, but the technique as explained to me on a trip from Seletar to Kuching was "dead-reckoning outbound, follow the oil slicks on the return leg."

NutLoose
30th Oct 2015, 19:42
We had a used condom found under the seat of a Jag after it transited back from Red Flag, I suppose it beats having an in flight movie. It was returned at a mess dining in night.

Fox2long
30th Oct 2015, 20:34
Remember the Eagles being played in an F3 on a transit across the Indian Ocean. On the cassette deck provided!! And remember being half way over the pond before nose gunner realised the world service was on HF!! Mind you he had no autopilot so he was pre occupied

vernon99
30th Oct 2015, 23:39
Had the movers arrange some DAC so we had a "card table and four chairs" - plenty of time for "hunt the *unt" from Belize to Lyneham.

Warmtoast
31st Oct 2015, 11:49
C.130 somewhere over the Indian Ocean 1979. At least you wake up refreshed at the far end ready to sample the Watneys Party Seven after landing as seen in the second photo being cooled by the Ground Engineer!

Non-service issue blanket in photo 1 I think.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Far%20East%20Trip%201979/WelltheIndianOceanisratherlarge.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Far%20East%20Trip%201979/EngwithParty7.jpg

Herod
31st Oct 2015, 15:23
Actually, my six-pack (not that I ever had one) has now become a Party Seven. The trouble is, no-one over a certain (advanced) age knows what I mean.

sharpend
31st Oct 2015, 15:37
Telling outrageous war stories. Now part of my book: Never fly faster than your Guardian Angel'

Lima Juliet
31st Oct 2015, 16:24
Take this...
http://website.lineone.net/~tomcats.place/Pictures/2sqntorngr1a.gif

and this allegedly being played by some involved and not looking out of the window...
http://www.8-bitcentral.com/images/nintendo/gameBoy/mainImage.jpg

Plus a mix up by the tanker lead on Mag/True...

And you get this and a very cold night after a dunking in a cold lake in Canada...
http://goflightmedicine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/US-Navy-ejection-seat-e1402987939473.jpg

http://www.ukserials.com/pdflosses/maas_19940801_za397.pdf

LJ (that's what I heard, anyway) :ok:

smujsmith
31st Oct 2015, 20:46
I reckon my 5000 plus hours of "air experience" in Albert were mostly passed in my hammock tied across the ramp. Safely ensconced in my "green maggot", a ready supply of snacks to hand and a good book, even a 12 hour leg was "doable"? I do remember a 14 hour trip from ASI to MPA where we played trivial pursuits for six hours, over the radio with the tanker crew we would take fuel from. Here's the prod from the bubble;

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/250d1f0db2efadd1366ae45e48dd90cc_zpsm7lrdrpo.jpg

ISTR that the tanker crew won on the day, but it certainly made half the trip enjoyable.

Smudge :ok:

newt
31st Oct 2015, 21:00
LHR-NBO spent four hours in the bunk with my girlfriend who was the CSD on the flight! Mile high for four hours!:ok::ok::ok:

Sorry but no pictures! It was dark!

mopardave
31st Oct 2015, 23:23
Good god.....the Watneys Party Seven! It was because of one of those, I had my one and only taste of corporal punishment at (primary!!!) school!

Back to the thread though.......I bet there just isn't the "scope" for aircrew to pass the time in such creative ways these days?

O-P
1st Nov 2015, 01:26
If I flew with a QWI, I'd ask an esoteric question about the radar/missile. Close my eyes, and listen to him blather on (You had to chuck in the occasional "OK" to keep him motivated).

I guess the same would be true with a QFI, only the question would be about the secondary effect of something boring.

Flying with a Flt Cdr, I'd ask about promotion prospects...same result.

Flying with the boss, close eyes shortly after take-off...they needed no invitation to blather.

Flying with a mate, talk about girls and beer for 8hrs.

Trackmaster
1st Nov 2015, 03:46
There are reports that a remote controlled helicopter set a record for the highest altitude attained in Australian airspace in the back of an empty C-17, returning to Amberley from Singapore. :bored:

BEagle
1st Nov 2015, 07:27
On the VC10 C Mk 1, quiet moments in transit would often lead to the words "Sooooo, co-pilot....." in a Scottish accent, followed by some obscure requirement from a certain training captain......

Dougie M
1st Nov 2015, 10:44
Sometimes on a transit when the freight bay was empty there were several uncorroborated "world records" down the back.
The height record for unicycle riding - strangely enough by the captain.
The highest altitude for a pipe band playing, tap dancing (which nearly threw the autopilot out) and many more. I'm sure there are some interesting ones out there as yet unknown.

Surplus
1st Nov 2015, 10:59
The heady thrill of throwing a double leaning jowler.

jindabyne
1st Nov 2015, 11:14
Aden - UK ferry. Battleships.

thunderbird7
1st Nov 2015, 14:01
Playing Battleships on the mighty 'rod in transit across the US. After some time, confused admin wallah and padre passengering in galley stops a passing crewmember and asks "where are all these ships you lot are talking about on the intercom, I can't see any?"

Same padre visits P3K cockpit later on same det to be shocked at the low level 'greeny (;))' entertainment at 250' in the cockpit....

smujsmith
1st Nov 2015, 18:33
Surplus #44,

Something that might attract the interest of the current PM on long distance transits, although "makin bacon" might be more fitting ;)

Brian W May
1st Nov 2015, 18:41
I pretended to be the flight engineer so I could have a window seat and hot food . . .

smujsmith
1st Nov 2015, 18:50
Someone must have taken the bait Brian !!!!

Dan Winterland
2nd Nov 2015, 02:12
A travel Scrabble board would fit nicely on the fuel panel of the Victor. But you needed fuel in the fuselage group to do that, or the switches would be pointing down and the board wouldn't stay put. The fuselage was usually the first to be emptied for fatigue management reasons, so it needed some careful and non-SOP fuel management to play. I've no idea how many FI units were wasted on these games.

Manandboy
2nd Nov 2015, 09:11
The introduction of tankers with windows down the back introduced a whole new level of stress into AAR trails. I remember a trip back across the pond where each bracket would see every window packed with sympathetic "mates" doing everything in their power to put you off, because obviously a "miss" was a sign of weakness. The tanker crew were obviously open to bribery, because the last bracket was supposed to be discretionary, and in spite of the fact that we had more than enough to get home they insisted on "one more plug"! Still didn't miss though!
Fond memories of GG, who could be relied on for a call of "Adnams flowing" and pigeons to Southwold from the most obscure parts of the world!

condor17
2nd Nov 2015, 11:19
393 staff pax , congering around a Tristar . On the last Caledonian L1011 flt DUB - LGW . Farewell day out at Fairyhouse racecourse Dublin .

rgds condor .

PTR 175
2nd Nov 2015, 12:22
My experience is only as Kipper fleet ground crew.

Mostly standard stuff really, trying to get some sleep in vinyl seats, ugh or using the engine intake blanks to sleep on.

Doing as much of the After flight servicing as possible before it lands, to gain some extra drinking time, (easy for us comms people),

Copious amounts of coffee and tea drinking, smoking, avoiding the pipe smoking Flt Engineer who was banished down the back if he wanted a quiet puff, plenty of cards going on as well.

Trying to make honkers stew and failing miserably, Eating tinned strawberries and chocolate ice cream because the crew were on task and too busy to eat, Honest it did happen.

Wondering why we were all feeling queasy and seeing a FLM in the LH seat at the front with a headset on and a massive grin trying to keep the aircraft straight and level and failing.

Taking photos out of the window by the HF crate. I have a few good ones of the Slava.

One long and boring flight I replaced a lot of the intercom illuminating lamps. I must have been very bored.

My favorite one was using the kit in flight and learning a lot from the crew about the differences between testing on the ground and use in the air.

Yes going to Gib for the nth time that year was a pain but I would give my Rt Testicle to do it now. :ok:

Rocket2
6th Nov 2015, 16:25
Always time for bridge during the many transits that I did in the wonderful 115 Andovers, great time, great team & so many happy memories :ok:
R2

QTRZulu
6th Nov 2015, 17:40
Tac FM with the resident house DJ aka Flight Eng

Bernoulli
7th Nov 2015, 22:04
Back of the Canberra. Take out long Perspex nav rule and put one end on the nav table directly in front of you where it met the instrument panel. When safely wedged in place lean forward and put the other end of the rule up against the brow of your helmet and then continue to move forward gently until the rule becomes jammed between the helmet and it's visor. Thus braced one could doze happily for an hour or two.

Particularly useful on West Drayton PIs.