PDA

View Full Version : Moderators

Tourist
29th Oct 2015, 07:59
I have just been banned from chatting on the thread about the marine who shot the injured man.

I don't really have problem with that, it's your trainset and I wind people up. It's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.

I do however have a problem with your then selectively deciding which posts are left to make a more anodyne discussion.

I don't think that any of us were being too offensive, and I think that the discussion was relevant to the point.
Yes we had moved on to the Geneva convention, but is that too much thread drift to a case about an illegal killing in a war?

I don't normally whinge when banned, but I think the thread is lesser for the redactions and gives a false impression of the variety of feelings on the matter.

Just This Once...
29th Oct 2015, 08:05
In fairness to the Mods, you do have form for rather extreme and aggressive contributions. More forum-friendly members have been banned for a one-off infraction so perhaps you should be thankful for another gracious warning.

:ok:

Fareastdriver
29th Oct 2015, 08:09
You're lucky. I was thrown off the Scottish Indy thread a year ago and I have never found out why.

tucumseh
29th Oct 2015, 09:29
I agree with JTO!

But I think Tourist is right. I didn't have a real problem with anything he said. The issue was not black and white. The very fact there are rules of engagement make it very different from ordinary criminal cases. There has to be a question of degree and extenuating circumstances. The longest running thread on this forum was, in a way, all about military law being different. It revealed numerous cases of serious offences having been committed that led to scores of deaths of our own men; but, so far, no action has been taken against these 2, 3 and 4 Stars who, it seems, are above the law. I don't like the double standards. I think that silence is far worse than any outspoken views Tourist may have.

melmothtw
29th Oct 2015, 12:18
I put your silence down to me winning the argument Tourist ;-)

I agree that sometimes the Mods can be a bit ban-happy, but your repeated prompting of your fellow PPRuNERs to stick their opinions up their back passages probably didn't help your cause (and interestingly, it seems to be these posts that have been removed along with your good self).

exuw
29th Oct 2015, 12:45
If people can't play the ball rather than the man then they have no business stepping onto the pitch.

Otherwise a red card will be the inevitable result.

Chugalug2
29th Oct 2015, 12:58
tuc:-
I think that silence is far worse than any outspoken views Tourist may have. Absolutely agree, tucumseh. The irony is that Tourist would no doubt condemn my support of your proposition as proof of me being your lapdog. :E

Bottom line is that discussion requires varied outlooks. Complete agreement is a death-knell for a thread, and by extension for this site. It just needs us to play nice, as exuw so rightly says. :ok:

Tourist
29th Oct 2015, 15:04
Just as a point of order, I believe it was a concept I suggested could be stuck somewhere, rather than your opinion of it.

Not quite the same...:O

I will fight to the death for your right to be wrong....

I also feel that I should point out that I was the receiver of most of the personal attention. Lots of "My god man were you never trained!" and "I cant believe you ever served!" type posts.....

walter kennedy
29th Oct 2015, 15:05
mmmmm
I have been suspended from making any more posts on a thread I just started recently (Bliar Revelations).
I thought a post I put there was entirely reasonable but ....

exuw
29th Oct 2015, 15:36
walter

I think you will find that the whole thread has been closed by the moderators and the reason for this may not necessarily be as a result of any post of yours.

Fareastdriver
29th Oct 2015, 16:48
mad_jock, who started the Scottish Indy thread has been banned from it so he cannot get on to it to delete his opening post which would close the thread.

The Old Fat One
29th Oct 2015, 17:00
this thread will be gone soon, so I'd like to point out quickly that pprune has a checkered history of moderation when it comes to "democraticness" (a word I just made up).

On another huge global site (nothing to do with flying) I frequent there is a part of the forum for raising moderator issues and it is very open, democratic and reasoned.

To my knowledge (I may be wrong and happy to be told if i am) no such facility exists on pprune.

Tourist
29th Oct 2015, 17:05
To be fair, I'm normally not that upset by them, even when I get banned (in fact on occasion I have been impressed with their even-handedness in ignoring calls for my banning), I just think that on this occasion they have been a bit overzealous.

ShotOne
29th Oct 2015, 17:28
I disagree with a lot of what you say, tourist but defend your right to say it. That said, the mods have the lawyers on their backs and, as you say, it's their train set.

MPN11
29th Oct 2015, 20:36
As a former Mod on a certain Army website, I would just say ...

"Suck it up and move on, it's only a f***ing Internet bulletin board" ;)

Brian 48nav
29th Oct 2015, 21:07
As you and minigun were calling one another the P***k word, I guess that has something to do with it!

My golden rule is, if I were standing at the bar with a guy I disagreed with, would I risk being rude and then being decked? Not now at my age!

Tourist
30th Oct 2015, 05:41
I think you'll find that he called me the p word, and I merely hinted that I considered him an oik....

I don't think either of us were even slightly upset by the exchange, though others were slightly more faux horrified.