PDA

View Full Version : FE renewal

Dennis Kenyon
23rd Oct 2015, 20:55
Hi Lads ... I'm frequently in awe at the level of expertise here, especially on the more technical items. My query today is more down to earth.

DRK received his first CAA appointment as a TRE (Now FE) in 1976. As too many of you know I keep threatening to retire but this wonderful old business keeps luring me back and for sure I can't get it out of my system. So I fly on! I'm still a current FI and CAA DAE.

SO ... I've decided to attempt just another couple of years (I passed 83 earlier this month - still Class One) The TRE/FE lapsed in 2006 and I'm asking the authority to renew. They accepted the application advising I was suitable for the rating and would simply need to compete a 'standardisation course' and Flight Test with an approved examiner.

The problem is there doesn't appear to be any guys available who can conduct this on the Enstrom 28/280 series to which I have access. The option is to do the course on a 44, but where I am not type rated. Overall I'm being quoted something in the region of £4,500, an amount I can't really justify for the work I'd be doing. Come on lads ... ideas wanted?..

Nigel Osborn
23rd Oct 2015, 21:33
REIIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

FLY 7
24th Oct 2015, 08:24
Yesterday, along with about a dozen other pilots, I attended an informal day of relaxed chat, Q & As, and general discussion, hosted by Dennis.

Absolutely brilliant! We were all gripped by his experience, wisdom, humour, advice, warnings, and softly spoken guidance. I'm sure everyone left, a better pilot, from having been in Dennis's company for six hours.

The longer Dennis can continue to be an active part of this industry the better http://www.pprune.org/images/infopop/icons/icon14.gif

Hughes500
24th Oct 2015, 10:58
Dennis

The same happens to me every 3 years. As you know the person testing you has to have the same or higher licence than you.
In my case as a TRE only the authority can test. But Fred and Richard do not hold the 500 on their licence. Fred's solution he would observe a test from the back seat of a 500 ( not sure he could see much ! ) while i tested another pilot !
Set me back £ 1300 ish plus paying other pilot etc etc
Speak to Fred very accommodating

flight beyond sight
24th Oct 2015, 10:59
Dennis renew my 280 rating then I can undertake your Examiner Standardisation course in it and I wont have to fly with you in an R44 !!
I could then renew your FE if the Authority approves

simples !!

Regards

Leon

Dennis Kenyon
24th Oct 2015, 12:06
Good morning Flight BS.

Yes, that sounds a sensible route. So if I pitch up at WAP in the 280C, I take it we'd need another FE on board to get you back on type. Perhaps MG? That would be a runner. My Enstrom owner gets back from business around the 3rd/4th November for me to arrange the hire. Meantime could you clear the path with the authority? Den will be in touch again soon. I have the standard CAA acceptance letter, which require 'Flight Testing; to be advised. DRK

Dennis Kenyon
24th Oct 2015, 12:07
Oh and before I forget ... thanks to the other guys with offers. Much appreciated. DK.

flight beyond sight
25th Oct 2015, 09:46
I don't know another FE who has the 280 perhaps Tim Price can help

HeliAl
25th Oct 2015, 10:07
I can do the FE part. seeing Leon this week.

TOT
25th Oct 2015, 17:28
Hi Guys, yes ENSTROM FE'S are very scarce.

The only ones I know of are:

TIM PRICE - 480 and 280 based Shoreham

AL GWILT - 480 and 280 based Stapleford

and myself

RAY JONES 480 and 280 based Gloucester, Swansea and Pembrey

Thomas coupling
25th Oct 2015, 22:57
Dennis - I thought you'd be more interested in qualifying on the Hughes 500?:suspect:

heli1
26th Oct 2015, 13:40
Same problem with the Brantly.....no one left to examine the examiner?

timprice
26th Oct 2015, 22:25
Presume BEYA fixed now Dennis, glad you have started training again, as long as you are capble of doing it thats great.
Good luck.
Tim:ok:

Dennis Kenyon
29th Oct 2015, 20:12
Thanks Tim, Al and Ray,

Presently working on the basis I 280C fly in to WAP with an FE for LS. Waiting for the G-BEYA owner to return from vacation to arrange the Hire. And for TC ... we 'old uns' cannot afford the posh MD 500 stuff Thomas, so confine myself to the pistons unless somebody else is paying! And DRK passed the 15,000 mark earlier this year so almost 20k with the RAF fixed wing added plus the civvy stuff. Already working on the numbers for my head stone !!!!

Take care all. Dennis K.