PDA

View Full Version : Col Tim Collins OBE - ECHR on the battlefield

Basil
19th Oct 2015, 06:05
Getting rid of the Human Rights Convention on the battlefield is a victory over terrorists and legal vultures - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11938986/Getting-rid-of-the-Human-Rights-Convention-on-the-battlefield-is-a-victory-over-terrorists-and-legal-vultures.html)

By Col Tim Collins OBE 18 Oct 2015

. . . the UK government is drawing up plans to suspend the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) on the battlefield. It’s about time. The UK, having made possible the liberation of Europe by standing firm against the Nazi tsunami and then spent its treasure and the blood of our young people in liberating Europe, sought to create a charter that prevented the same abuse against which we had fought. It was made more urgent by the fact that the majority of European nations, . . . also had no small hand in collaborating with the perpetrators.

what was supposed to be a protection for the vulnerable has been used by unscrupulous lawyers to line their pockets in spurious inquiries that have cost millions

The collapse of the Al Sweady inquiry last year was the high tide of abuse of the UK’s legal system when a bunch of now discredited lawyers recruited any Iraqis who would volunteer to claim abuse by UK soldiers. Many, many applied. Millions were spent. Public Interest Lawyers alone gobbled up £90million.
The case was thrown out as a pack of lies (except for the comical findings that the detainees weren’t fed properly, didn’t get enough sleep, were shouted at and were on occasion afraid. Which ironically is exactly what infantry soldiers experience on every single operational deployment).
Sir Thayne Forbes, the former High Court judge who chaired the inquiry, found that the men allegedly mistreated were not innocent farmers, as they claimed, but enemy fighters . . (That last bit makes me laugh out loud)

Wensleydale
19th Oct 2015, 08:18
Am I one of the few people who seem to notice that the majority of those who loudly scream that their Human Rights have been violated are those who give not a single jot about the human rights of anyone else?

SASless
19th Oct 2015, 11:47
Does this mean Squaddies can shout at the enemy now?

We would not want to hurt Jihadi John's Self Esteem would we?

Pontius Navigator
19th Oct 2015, 12:00
Remember, maintain the shock of capture.

"Tea Sir? Sugar? Milk, skimmed, semi or full fat? I know you won't want ham and cheese, would you like cucumber sandwiches?"

That would do it, shocked to the core, wrong footed and in mortal dread that this is the last supper.

mopardave
19th Oct 2015, 12:45
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read Tim Collins' eve of battle speech.......what an amazing orator. An inspirational man.

Now let's get Alexander Blackman out of prison......another stain on this sanctimonious, bottleless country!!

Politicians and those who threw him under the bus in the spurious name of justice and human rights..........shame on you!!!!! Same goes for the gutter press that propagated all the lies and misinformation during our recent "campaigns"!!!

Apologies for thread drift and rant!!

Taxi for mopardave!:ugh:

Hot_LZ
19th Oct 2015, 13:22
I can breath now that my IED laying friend from Helmand won't be able to have me and my guys for breaching his human rights after ripping him out of his local chai shop In front of his chums and giving him some goggles and cuffs to put on.

I'd say he was pretty lucky in the end as while he was being hosted by our torchlight colleagues, the ambush intended for him that night was never triggered.

A complete farce that so much money has been spent defending false claims of treatment against insurgents!

SASless
19th Oct 2015, 13:29
The Money is a trivial cost compared to the price those accused had to pay!

Look our way as Bergdahl gets off with no Prison Time, gets promoted, and loses no money or benefits.....but an SF Trooper gets the Boot because he thumped a Child Rapist.

Wander00
19th Oct 2015, 15:21
Sounds a brilliant move, a tadge late