PDA

View Full Version : a320 intercepting radial after takeoff

mothergoose1
18th Oct 2015, 12:40
Wanted to know what is the exact procedure to intercept radial after takeoff .like aircraft so and so after takeoff intercept radial 040 to point x and you runway track is 360 .how will you do it on the mcdu .will be it be direct than radial in than (220) there selected. After giving intercepting angle heading like 60 heading selected .just got cleared on a320 so many questions coming up .how much drag does it come with flaps 1 like in approaches to dubai he gets me a speed decrease to 210 I ask for activate approach phase after decreasing the speed on Fcu than ask for flaps 1 .

Nick 1
18th Oct 2015, 13:01
Microsoft flight simulator ?

mothergoose1
18th Oct 2015, 17:32
lol.nope actual flying

Nick 1
18th Oct 2015, 18:15
What about Rose Vor and heading ?

tubby linton
18th Oct 2015, 18:20
Flying away from the station it is radial out.
The radial is always from the station and you can either fly in (towards it) or radial out(away)
You will need to be on an intercept heading for Nav to engage, but it will produce a message in the scratchpad if you are not..
Flap 1 is only slat so it doesn't actually create much drag as you are only creating extra lift. Drag only really starts from taking flap 2.

mothergoose1
18th Oct 2015, 18:40
thanks tubby.so if whenever asked to intercept a radial after dep we need to select a radial out after selection of interception heading

FlightDetent
18th Oct 2015, 22:05
If your waypoint is on the radial, you can program the FMS to follow the reciprocal radial into the fix, which is easier to understand in the FMGC and also this way you will avoid creating a discontiunity.

Task: After departure (Heading 360) turn right and intercept "VOR" radial 040 to "INTRS".

Solution:
1) on F-PLN A select DCT "INTRS" radial in 220, preferably do not execute (Thales FMGS),
2) Dial 070 heading on FCU before take-off. This will preclude automatic NAV when airborne, and keep your chosen intercept heading ready.

Once in the air, observe active lateral navigation mode RWY TRK. Climb straight ahead as required, then pull heading to turn for intercept. Then execute the direct to your waypoint with radial in, and confirm NAV blue. Monitor intercept with raw data "VOR" R040 on pilot monitoring side.

cheers,
FD.

CaptainProp
19th Oct 2015, 08:45
Load FMGC with point/bearing/distance, take off in heading, when on intercept heading push NAV. NAV blue on FMA then green when "captured". If no actual point or distance given in clearance, just the radial, then put in for example 20nm, or whatever seems reasonable depending on further expected clearance, then a flight plan discontinuity followed by next point.

CP

tubby linton
19th Oct 2015, 09:30
Mothergoose you either select radial in if you want to fly to the station or radial out if you want to fly away.

FlightDetent
19th Oct 2015, 10:15
CP: agreed, this simple scenario is actually best flown without using RAD-IN/OUT function at all.

regards, FD.

Capt Fathom
19th Oct 2015, 10:50
Instrument Flying 101....

Intercepting the outbound radial! :(

Where has it all gone wrong?

tubby linton
19th Oct 2015, 11:22
It's easy when you know how though!!!
DSC-22_20-50-10-25

sabenaboy
19th Oct 2015, 13:22
Come on Mothergoose, is it really necessary to ask such a basic question if you're IFR rated and working on an A320 rating?

I'll answer it anyway assuming that you're looking to get to know how to do it in everyday, routine flying. (not in the sim where the TRI is looking to see what you remember about basic IFR)

There are several methods you could use:
- select the VOR on the RADNAV page, enter the correct course (040 to track outbound, 220 to track inbound to the VOR), select ROSE VOR display on the PFD, pickup a suitable heading to intercept the radial and once on the radial, activate DIR TO the desired waypoint.
- Select the VOR on the RADNAV page, select ARC or NAV on the PFD and use the VOR needle to get on the desired radial, then DIR TO.
- Put the VOR and the radial in the FIX info to have the radial appear on the PFD and steer the correct way to get on it.

mothergoose1
19th Oct 2015, 15:05
Thanks explains a lot!

HPbleed
19th Oct 2015, 15:08
Take off, turn right, identify the beacon, select track, pick up the 040 radial and select track 040. Monitor. How is it ANY harder than that? IFR basics chapter 1.

Microburst2002
20th Oct 2015, 17:44
What I do:

I erase any points after take off before the point "x".
Then I insert the VOR as the first waypoint and clear the discontinuity, so I have a leg between the VOR and x, which should be on a 040º course.

Then I take off, and turn right to a 085º heading, or so and push NAV. I make sure that x is the waypoint TO, otherwise I will sequence as required, and I'll check that NAV is blue and the INCPT is there.

tubby linton
20th Oct 2015, 19:16
Radial out is much much easier though.

Check Airman
21st Oct 2015, 07:25
Wanted to know what is the exact procedure to intercept radial after takeoff

Much the same way you were taught to do it in a 172.

I'm really worried that we're having this discussion. I can understand if the OP needs a bit of explanation on the finer points of FMS usage, but seriously, you can't convince me that it isn't faster to just put the information in the RAD NAV page and do it raw data in ROSE VOR mode.

It's really the most basic of IFR instructions.

FlightDetent
22nd Oct 2015, 09:55
Check Airmen: The OP asked a question how to set up the L-NAV function in the autoflight system of an A320 series aircraft for one particular flying task.

Do you think a TECH-LOG forum is not a place to discuss such issues?

FD.

mothergoose1
22nd Oct 2015, 10:45
:ok: thank you guys I guess there is more than one way to do this .but the fastest way is unfortunately the one where I put the radial out in the RADNAV page to intercept and takeoff and intercept it by bringing the cdi there using conventional VOR rose.since at takeoff the Sid can be canceled and I can be asked for radial interception and so instead of even calculating about what would be the reciprocal of 040 be (220) during takeoff ,I know this sounds stupid but I discussed this with my captain and he said at takeoff u gotta make your life easier.

On the contrary I want to make use of the AUTOFLIGHT system,so I have summarised all what I've got from these posts.assuming I'm at takeoff point il increase my workload.

1.GO to fix info put radial and vor to get it on pfd for better situation awareness
2. Fast check with Ddrmi what would the reciprocal be of radial 040
3.after departure and on interception heading ask for "Set direct x radial in 220

FlightDetent
22nd Oct 2015, 11:44
discussed this with my captain and he said at takeoff u gotta make your life easier. :D:D

(If) On the contrary I want to make use of the AUTOFLIGHT system ... at takeoff point il increase my workload :D:D
1.GO to fix info put radial and vor to get it on pfd for better situation awareness
2. Fast check with Ddrmi what would the reciprocal be of radial 040
3. after departure and on interception heading ask for "Set direct x radial in 220 I cannot think of any better way that is both simple and robust as this one.