PDA

View Full Version : Bell 206L-1 Long Ranger SN 45274

semisub
17th Oct 2015, 13:27
I’m researching details about a Bell 206L – 1 Long Ranger, SN 45274, build in 1979.
Apparently the a/c underwent a major overhaul at BHL (Redhill?) in 1997 for unknown reasons (accident or routine?).
Does any BHL Engineer remember that overhaul and can perhaps supply more details or even pictures? At the time the a/c is supposed to have been operated by the Yugoslav Police. Thanks!

Reely340
17th Oct 2015, 15:27
Was sometime ago a serbian police aircraft, YU-HBS:
Serbian Police Aircraft (http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/yugo/serbia/pol/types/serbia-police-aircraft.htm)

Then again there's another chronologie: N2769C, YU-HBS, F-HCHE, UR-METU, UR-MET
ROTORSPOT - Production list for Bell 206L (http://www.rotorspot.nl/product/b206l.php)

UR-MET being ukrainian Spotters.Aero - Ðåçóëüòàò ïîèñêà (http://spotters.net.ua/search/?cn=45274)

semisub
17th Oct 2015, 16:47
Thank you Reely 340! I've seen those publications.
My particular interest ist the reason for undergoing an overhaul at BHL.
That was a pretty fast response from you and very much appreciated!!!:D

Reely340
17th Oct 2015, 17:21
Bringing out the wannabe lawyer in me I'd say that the new owner of that ac should be entitly to get in depth answers from BHL about that overhaul. "privacy laws prevent us from disclosing what we did to the now your ac" would be rather odd.

However, typically the buyer wants to know before shelling out a fortune, what the preowner did to the machine and why. I'm afraid that this information can only be aquired directly from the current owner or from BHL if the current owner entitles them to talk to you. And if they do not allow BHL to answer all your questions, that'll tell you more about the ac than any workshop report, won't it :E

..then again, you could happen to drink tea in the very same cafe as one of the BHL wrenches... :oh:

I'm only a newbie PPL, that drools over used helicopter ads every now and then, and am seriously wondering how one actually accesses the price / worth relationship before purchase.

semisub
17th Oct 2015, 18:04
You've hit the nail on the head!
And thanks for the tea drinking idea: Problem is that, as far as I remember those BHL guys, tea might not do the trick.:)
Thanks for your reply!

HeliHenri
17th Oct 2015, 19:02
Hello semisub,

So you're worrying about the reason of a major overhaul that took place 18 years ago but does the fact that since then, the aircraft has flown between 3000 and 10 000 hours, doesn't reduce your worry ? :)

semisub
17th Oct 2015, 19:50
Hi HeliHenri
no, ist does not since the claimed hours flown since new (!) are less than those mentioned by you.

semisub
17th Oct 2015, 19:54
HeliHenri

and if you know that ist is a "fact" that those hours were indeed flown let me know please.
Thanks!!!

HeliHenri
17th Oct 2015, 20:43
OK, less than 3000 hrs in 36 years including parapublic operations is indeed a little bit "unusual" ...:suspect:

semisub
18th Oct 2015, 09:17
Exactly. There might have been a problem with translations into various languages and one or two digits might have been swopped or gone missing. That‘s why I would be interested to know more about the BHL overhaul as they (BHL) would surely have recorded all details known to them.
I suppose that the a/c, which today looks perfect, has seen some turbulent times….

Ferrit
18th Oct 2015, 19:23
Go and look in the Airframe and component log books, if they don't make sense run.

787-1
19th Oct 2015, 17:03
semisub (http://www.pprune.org/members/216137-semisub) - if you're thinking about buying a turbine machine, go get an engineers report. They will do all this research and conduct an in-depth report on it's current condition (which is far more important that what happened almost 2 decades ago)!

It has been 18 years - probably has had several new turbines, blades, gearbox, overhauls etc etc since.

Ainippe
19th Oct 2015, 17:28
Semisub :

Myself and another engineer did the major inspection on that machine whilst Redhill.There was nothing iffy about it mainly calendar lifed items if I recall correctly. Beyond that I really cannot remember what else was involved. The Serbian Police will have copies of all the inspections - so dont ask me for them.
Low flying hours was normal for them ie 1000 Hrs in 7 or 8 years. After it left us I have no idea what happend to it. The records section no longer resides at Redhill and I have no idea where they are kept now.

Your best bet is to employ some one to do a survey and investigate the history thoroughly.

Reely340
19th Oct 2015, 18:39
go get an engineers report.Speaking of which, out of curiousity what is the approximate cost of such a report, for such a LongRanger for instance?

semisub
20th Oct 2015, 13:26
Ferrit: Thanks for your advice, I just have to get hold of the doc's. Running might not be an option anymore - they're bound to catch up with me....

787-1: Again good advice and your comment is appreciated.Thank you!

Ainippe: I could hardly have wished for a more informative reply. Excellent site this! We're all now looking forward to an answer to Reely340's question...
Thanks to all contributors!
:D

semisub
20th Oct 2015, 13:28
Ainippe: check your PM's please.

helihub
22nd Oct 2015, 11:45
semisub - I think you will find that H+S had the engine contract with the Yugoslav Police at that time, if that helps.

Remember too the history of Yugoslavia. When I was involved in driving humanitarian aid trucks out that way in 1994/5, any helicopters without guns had long since been grounded, and were on the ground for enough years that they would have needed a good deal of work to fly again. There were more important things to do than fly languishing police helicopters round the block to keep them current. Seems like it was based at Smederevo (just east of Belgrade) if that's relevant. I agree with Ainippe that low hours for YU police helicopters was not unusual at all.

The aircraft was sold from Serbia to France in March 2007. A year later, it was sold from France to Ukraine.

E&OE. You need to prove to yourself from documentary evidence what you are trying to find. Get a proper survey done. I hope my observations assist, but I certainly agree with Ferrit - if you have any doubts on the documentation, walk away. Plenty of other people around to sell you a properly documented LongRanger. Caveat Emptor

787-1
22nd Oct 2015, 16:55
We're all now looking forward to an answer to Reely340's question...

How long is a piece of string ?
Depends on what you want them to do, visual, in-depth borescope, maintenance records, history ?

Well for a half decent inspection on a piston aircraft you're looking at £1500-2000 - so at least double the top end figure for a turbine!

semisub
23rd Oct 2015, 15:47
helihub

Thanks for your valuable information. You describe pretty accurately why I’ve been trying to find out more info about this a/c. Bits are coming together now. Thanks again!!!
:ok:

vfr440
25th Oct 2015, 07:47
SS, you might want to be wary of the L1 model unless it's had the (expensive) upgrade to a C30 engine. It has as standard the C28; dreadful power plant, loads of problems and worse, RR/Allison don't support it any more I understand. - VFR