PDA

View Full Version : Leflunomide

ALTSELGREEN
16th Oct 2015, 17:43
Does anyone know if this drug is allowable under EASA medical rules?
I'm currently on methotrexate to treat inflammatory arthritis and this drug is allowable in a steady maintenance dose once the disease is well controlled. I wanted to know if the same applied to Leflunomide if prescribed alongside the methotrexate?

Winnerhofer
16th Oct 2015, 22:01
Heavy stuff!
The side-effects must be knackering!

gingernut
17th Oct 2015, 20:47
Apologies, don't know the specific's, but I should imagine that the authorities would treat it like the older fashioned DMARD you currently take.

I suspect that they'd want to see that you physically tolerate both substances well.

And I think steady blood counts will probably work in your favour.

Usually constantly steady "full blood counts" (they're usually interested in your white cell count and platelets ) are needed.

They'll probably be interested in your Liver function and renal function to (LFT's and U+E's), the regime will become less strict as you are stabilised

The exact regime will be determined locally, (the rheumatologists will probably be working to protocol.)

ALTSELGREEN
18th Oct 2015, 00:05
Thanks for the reply - I could not find any mention of Leflunomide on the musculoskeletal Information sheet that the CAA have on their website. The Aeromedical advisors weren't sure either as the goalposts are moving about with the adoption of EASA regs and I haven't been able to speak to my AME yet for a specific answer. Unfortunately I have been grounded for some months following a wrist synovectomy and treatment with Methotrexate for active psoriatic arthritis (25mg). I have just had a scan which has shown no reduction in the inflammation in the wrist and I think my rheumatologist will look to supplement the current regime with the Leflunomide. I have settled pretty well on the methotrexate with normal blood and LFT results and have experienced fewer side effects as time has gone on. Unfortunately the drug regime is worse than the condition itself and is a bit of a long drawn out process :ugh: