PDA

View Full Version : HURRAH for SAR!

Onceapilot
14th Oct 2015, 19:01
Forgive me, but am I right that the BBC report of the demise of RAF SAR is correct?:sad:

OAP

leopold bloom
14th Oct 2015, 20:01
Yes. Ten characters.

MightyGem
14th Oct 2015, 20:03
Forgive me, but am I right that the BBC report of the demise of RAF SAR is correct?
Where have you been for the last couple of years? :)

Fareastdriver
14th Oct 2015, 20:07
Learn everything from this thread.

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/511282-uk-sar-2013-privatisation-new-thread.html

That's the second thread. The first one was closed down because of all the punch-ups.

Fluffy Bunny
14th Oct 2015, 20:21
Nice article from the Torygraph.

Telegraph says goodbye to Chiv (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/columnists/andrew-english/goodbye-raf-search-and-rescue-and-its-sea-kings/)

Onceapilot
14th Oct 2015, 20:43
So, now it is complete.:sad:
During my military flying career I was always reassured by the totally professional back-up of the SAR crews.
As a sprog FJ pilot I held with the 202 Flight at RAF Brawdy as a "Day and Night" Duty Dummy. My logbook might not record the qualification or, the half-drowned hours of playing as an "unconscious" ,a "floater" or a "fighter" "survivor". But, what I leaned then, was the sheer skill and CRM that made the SAR crews so good!:ok:
Thanks guys, for the sheer bloody good job!

OAP

15th Oct 2015, 07:07
The first one was closed down because of all the punch-ups. punch ups??? I must have missed those....;)

The Torygraph article has been updated by Andy English who wrote the original a couple of years ago.

TorqueOfTheDevil
15th Oct 2015, 16:21
the demise of RAF SAR

Apart from the Falklands (until March next year) and Cyprus (admittedly, the Diet Coke of SAR, but the aircraft still say RAF Rescue on the side!).

MATELO
15th Oct 2015, 17:59
SAR Sea King may return to the North East...

Former Sea King pilot leading campaign to bring RAF Boulmer helicopter back - Chronicle Live (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/former-sea-king-pilot-leading-10243773)

Adam Nams
16th Oct 2015, 03:25
Nice article from the Torygraph.A simple way of looking at this, according to Flt Lt Jon “Jevs” Evans, is to think of the rotor as a disc with a big lift arrow coming out of the top; the cyclic tilts this arrow in the desired direction and the collective makes it bigger or smaller – the yaw pedals just keep you pointing in the right direction.Sounds like he knows his stuff, this 'Jevs' bloke. He should do well.

OAP
RAF BrawdyYou must be really old

Tankertrashnav
16th Oct 2015, 10:27
BBC South West have been covering the forthcoming closure of SAR from RNAS Culdrose. Yesterday they featured a farewell visit to the Scillies by a Sea King of 771 Sqn, which has been a lifeline for the islanders over the years. They interviewed a woman who gave birth in a Sea King en route to hospital on the mainland!

I think the public need to have their fears about the demise of RAF/RN SAR dealt with by a bit more publicity - one woman was worried that the HM Coastguard replacement choppers might not be allowed to fly at night!