PDA

View Full Version : Tel Aviv

Northern Hosty
18th Jun 2002, 14:53
We are starting operations next month to Tel Aviv, this will include a night stop.

Bit nervous about the thought of stoping there at the moment with world war 3 going on and everything.

Anyone stoped in Tel Aviv before and what is the security like???

huw stunn
19th Jun 2002, 15:04
BA crews not slipping there at present as management don't feel happy to take the risk. Feeling is that it is probably safer than Lagos, especially if you stay around the hotel as they dont tend to be a target.

Hand Solo
19th Jun 2002, 18:36
Hmm tell that to the staff of that hotel where they blew up the Passover feast. I'd be more afraid of the risk if I ventured out of the hotel and happened to chance upon a shop, a bus station, a police checkpoint or any of the other places things tend to go bacn at the moment. I'm sure the chances of being caught up in one of these things are extremely remote though.

Capt PPRuNe
22nd Jun 2002, 15:49
I think you are working for the same company as I am. I hope to be on the TLV night-stops. I think that whilst you have every right to have some concernes there is no reason to really worry. You have more chance of winning the lottery than being caught up in any of the violence.

Remember Northern Ireland? London? New York? I could count any number of places in the world where there are terrorist acts being carried out. Are you not going to fly to Malaga or Alicante now? Did you move out of London when the IRA were regularly setting off bombs? Most people do not let these things prevent them from getting on with their lives, which is why you are lucky to get flights with night stops.

You have to be realistic. TLV is great for a night stop. Fun and lively place. Very dynamic and I can't wait to get there. Street crime is negligible and I would feel a lot safer walking around TLV than any city here in the UK.

As mentioned in a post above, it is still a lot safer than some places crews have to nightstop such as Lagos. Security in Israel is high and it is a modern and dynamic country. Make the most of it and stop worrying as it should be a fun night stop.

Check 6
23rd Jun 2002, 08:38
We currently fly into Ben Gurion. The airport is very secure. This will remain so until someone decides it would be a nice statement to send mortar rounds onto the aerodrome.

If this happens, then operations would of course pretty much stop, except for the Israel Defense Force aircraft based there.

We do not nightstop there though, as we consider it too risky to be roaming around Tel Aviv. I realize that this is subjective.

Suggestion #1: Do not have your passport stamped. The officials will gladly provide a separate document to stamp that you return to them on departure. This procedure prevents possible problems when visiting Arab countries.

Suggestion #2: Stay away from large crowds. Terrorists like to target crowds.

Suggestion #3: Pay attention to your environment (situational awareness).

Personally, I agree with Capt. PPRune's assessment. You have a greater chance of getting injured driving a car in Naples where I live.

low n' slow
23rd Jun 2002, 11:38
I've been under the impression that Israel is a war-zone, not to be compared to say london during the IRA raids... Just be careful and keep a keen look-out for people with palestine-chequered scarfs and the occasional excessive wiring around the belly...

regards/lns

BlueEagle
23rd Jun 2002, 12:35
Just wondering what insurance companies have to say about it, anybody checked?

The airline PA policy should have been sorted out by your company, (still worth checking), but if you have any personal policies you could do worse than simply notify them that your duties take you to Tel Aviv and how long you expect to stay etc.
That way you could never be accused of "Non disclosure of essential information" - something insurance companies will do if they get a chance.

sweety
23rd Jun 2002, 14:03
Good luck!! :)
I'm saved this month...;)

OneWorld22
23rd Jun 2002, 15:23
With regards to insurance, the airline I'm doing work for at the moment, (cargo) had a flight to TLV last week from the EU and the insurance company advised us;

"Israel is not an excluded area under the insurances, and we have not been advised that insurers are currently imposing any specific requirements in respect of Tel Aviv.

At "today's rate", there is no additional premium due in respect of Tel Aviv."

This flight included an overnight stay for the aircraft in TLV also. So enjoy your stay, it's a great party town full of gorgeous women and also has great weather and a great and lively beachfront . Just always use common sense.

wickerman
23rd Jun 2002, 16:58
I reckon the only place safer would be on an ELAL flight. I'm really looking forward to going. This is turning into a virtual Airline!!
How much is a beer in Tel Aviv? kinetic lifting...is there any other way? I only ask cos I did a course the other day.............