PDA

View Full Version : UK CPL/EASA PPL

Live your dream
13th Oct 2015, 13:08
Hello,

I'm transferring my medical report to UK in order to get my CPL, ME/IR issued by them. I would like to know if I also need to transfer my Spanish EASA PPL, or I can hold an UK CPL and a Spanish PPL at the same time. I contacted the UK CAA but it's going to take ages to get an answer.

Regards!

gpiper
13th Oct 2015, 14:00
If you transfer your medical records from one EASA state to another, automatically the new EASA state will issue you a new reference number.

In your case, UK CAA will issue you a new reference number which will be used when the state will issue you a license. Therefore in other words, your PPL will not be valid if you transfer your medical records to the UK because you Spanish PPL is already issue with a Spanish reference number which is the same as the one on your Spanish Medical.

Also note, if you have both an EASA Class 1, and a separate Class 2, then the Class 1 overrides your Class 2 because on the Class 1 you also got the Class 2. So, transferring your medical records to another state will automatically void your PPL until your receive your new medical certificate and your new license.

The process normally takes around 2-3 months and you will spend around 500 GBP just to convert your Spanish Medical to a UK medical, and your Spanish PPL to a UK PPL which should be done after you get your medical cert. It also involves a lot of phone calls to the UK CAA to confirm that they have received the proper paper work.

You should have known this since this is taught in the ATPL theory and more specifically in Air Law. You cannot have medical records in 2 different EASA states, the EASA state that holds your medical records is also your issuing state.

GP

Live your dream
13th Oct 2015, 14:49
I know I can have just one SOLI that's why I'm transferring my medical records. I'm not talking about having my medical in 2 states, my doubt is if UK can issue a CPL based on a PPL issued by another EASA country.
500GBP? I thought it was 74 pounds.

Thanks anyway for answering!

gpiper
13th Oct 2015, 15:07
Just to explain a couple of points.

First of all the CPL will not be based on you PPL, it is based on you Medical. So if you transfer your Medical Records in the UK, your CPL will be issued based on your class 1 in the UK along with a UK reference number.

As for you PPL, if you do not transfer you Spanish PPL, and assuming you did a multi CPL/IR, the UK CAA won't include an SEP rating on your CPL.

So to sum up, if you want to get a UK CPL along with all your rating, first transfer your medical records to the UK, then as soon as you receive you UK medical certificate, transfer you PPL to the UK, and then when you receive your UK EASA PPL, then send your papers to the UK so they can issue you a CPL with all the rating including the SEP.

The reason why you should follow these steps in order to achieve your objective is because it involves a lot of paper work, and you can easily f--k up during the process, if you rush things, it can easily take you 6 months to complete the process, so take it slow..

Live your dream
13th Oct 2015, 15:52
Thanks again,

This is a mess. This is what the Spanish SOLI transfer form says "according to FCL.015, a change of competent authority means a transfer of medical records and licensing. There will be no remission of your medical records, if previously not processed the license transfer"

I understand I will not get a UK Class I if I don't transfer my PPL, which would mean I have to request both things at the same time.

I've also heard from my ATO that UK can issue a CPL without having a UK PPL, or having an EASA PPL would be enough.

Another question: Can I continue my training towards a CPL/ME/IR, while my medical and PPL are being transferred?

nick14
13th Oct 2015, 18:26
You cannot hold more than on EASA licence for the same category of aircraft.

If I were you, go straight into the CAA website and request your Medical records be transferred to the UK and then apply for a SOLI transfer on your PPL.

EC DKN
14th Oct 2015, 22:41
Man I am a Spanish PPL like you And I am in the same boat! All I can say is that this process is B...S... And nobody knows how it works! Fortunately, I visited PAT (Bournemouth) and then said to me that I can carry on all my modular training in the UK and then being issued a EASA CPL by the spanish authorithy. Actually, they said is the best thing I can do and 5 french with FRENCH CPL pilots that trained with them are now flying for Flybe!

Live your dream
15th Oct 2015, 12:31
Hey mate,

My problem is that if I don't transfer my medical I will have to retake the MEP again from beginning, I'm willing to do that, but my ATO seems to be scared of the Spanish authorities and they are pushing me to transfer everything to UK which is a pain in the ass.

EC DKN
15th Oct 2015, 14:33
Man I was in one of the oldest modular schools in the UK (PAT)! They said to me there is no problem, and they know pretty well How it works! If your schools is saying that is because they don't know How to deal with that! Contacf PAT in bournemouth they will help you, believe me!