PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to Aptitude test what I need to know.

andythepandy
5th Oct 2015, 10:27
Good day one and all. To keep this short and simple I am trying to become a pilot and I have booked my first aptitude test at FTE Jerez. I have been doing some revision to get up to scratch with my maths and physics and I have signed up to the interview training section of latestpilotjobs.com.

I have a good idea of what the test will entail but has anyone on here had experience taking the FTE aptitude test. I would love to hear peoples opinions on what the test is actually like and what marks they are looking for in each section of the tests. Latestpilotjobs.com is really handy but I do keep getting recurring questions which i obliviously won't get in the actual test.

So what would everyone recommend in terms of topics to revise that come up regally and where I should spend most of my time, and if you have any useful links to sites I can practice on please leave them below.

andythepandy
5th Oct 2015, 15:30
Hi Sam, awesome yeah I'm on that one too. Yes I got it. I've been through it and it does seem a little daunting but I think I'm ok on most of it now. Its just the speed factor I need to work on really. How is your revision going?

BigGrecian
6th Oct 2015, 12:53
what marks they are looking for in each section of the tests.

The score is only really used to determine whether you are suitable for the sponsored courses by any airline tie up.

Beyond that the "aptitude test" is part of the Marketing machine to make it feel exclusive. The only real aptitude test they use is can you afford to pay.

I'm not trying to be cynical, or put you off, just go in with an open mind.

andythepandy
6th Oct 2015, 13:23
Really? thats quite interesting. I thought it was used as a way to see if you have level of intellect and personality to be accepted by the school. Is it the same for all the flying schools eg: Oxford, CTC etc?

BWSBoy6
8th Oct 2015, 17:22
Although, if you don't make the grade and pass the required exams once you're on the course, FTE will pretty soon ask you to leave. You only get a limited number of retakes. That would suggest that they don't accept just anyone with a healthy bank balance. And this isn't once you've paid the whole cost, quite a few have been weeded out in the earlier stages.

They seem to have a decent enough reputation in the industry so clearly wouldn't want to jeopardise it by allowing weaker candidates through.

andythepandy
12th Oct 2015, 13:59
From everything I have heard and understand I think you guys are correct. Like you say as a business they want to take on as many candidates as possible to maximise their profits but also they don't take on everybody or they would have a high percentage of dropouts which could be misinterpreted as the school isn't great because if it was there would be less drop outs.

I think that you don't have to score super high marks but if you pass with good enough marks to show that you have a decent understanding of what is required of you as a pilot and that you have the potential to become one.

I'm mainly going through the pre-test guidance leaflet and doing some online tests. Its all quite straight forward it just takes a bit of time to get back into the swing of it.

andythepandy
12th Oct 2015, 14:00
Also if they offered you a place when is the earliest you could start and how long does the offer stand for?

foliot-pilot
12th Oct 2015, 14:14
Hey Andy,

Here's a link from the FTE website which (at the bottom of the page) details their start dates.

Airline First Officer Programme | FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/airline-first-officer-programme).

Obviously your method of funding will influence your start date too. I believe (don't shoot!) that BBVA can take a few months to organize.

Again I believe the FTE offers are valid for a year.

andythepandy
13th Oct 2015, 09:58
Ahh I see well I was planning on going in self funded and yes I have heard that they take their sweet time. To be honest starting mid next year isn't too bad. I can spend that time doing all the things I want to do before I am nose deep in books for 18 months.

I've just been speaking to my friend who is about half way through his first phase of ground school and he says its brutal at the moment. 9-5 in the classroom and then in the study area till midnight but hes still enjoying it.

Although it sounds intense I knew it would be and to be honest I don't mind that to get to achieve my dream.

Also has anyone on here actually sat the Jerez aptitude test?