PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull ace retires

chopper2004
28th Sep 2015, 17:08
Had the pleasure of meeting him last years Heli Expo in Anaheim,

Cheers

Chuck Aaron Retiring from Airshows | AirshowStuff (http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2015/chuck-aaron-retiring-from-airshows/)

n5296s
28th Sep 2015, 18:30
That's a shame although it's probably a good way to become an old, bold pilot.

I don't understand "[Chuck] is the only certified helicopter aerobatic pilot in the US". At least for fixed wing, there's no such thing as an aerobatic rating. It's a pretty good idea to get some dual and some training (to put it mildly) but there's no FAA requirement to do so nor to get any kind of endorsement.

So what does this mean? What's to stop anyone with a helicopter ticket getting some (lots) of dual from Chuck and becoming the next Red Bull display pilot (regulation wise, I mean)?

MikeNYC
29th Sep 2015, 03:56
So what does this mean? What's to stop anyone with a helicopter ticket getting some (lots) of dual from Chuck and becoming the next Red Bull display pilot (regulation wise, I mean)?

A low-level aerobatic waiver, such as an unlimited ACE Card.

Rotorbee
29th Sep 2015, 10:18
Easy to replace him. Rainer Wilke, who actually showed Chuck the ropes, springs to mind and a few others in Europe. Siegfried Schwarz is another one flying for Red Bull and plays in the same league as Rainer. They are all real certified helicopter aerobatic pilots.
Otherwise Rainer just has to train a new one.
:ok:

whoknows idont
29th Sep 2015, 10:32
The real problem will be finding an equally magnificent stache... :oh:

evil7
29th Sep 2015, 11:55
Rotorbee

Rainer Wilke, who actually showed Chuck the ropes,.... :D

Yes sir - seconded :ok::}

Hot and Hi
30th Jul 2016, 10:30
It appears that despite the departure of Chuck, the Flying Bulls are going from strength to strength. See here BO105 aerobatics and Cobra display at Nagy Futam Show, Budapest (1 May 2016):

https://youtu.be/viHzTjQVTp0

viHzTjQVTp0

Hot and Hi
1st Aug 2016, 21:12
YouTube poster KamovRider has since added the following commentary to this video:

Above the Danube the BO-105 flew an incredible demonstration piloted by Rainer Wilke. The demo was varied and imaginative with complicated rolls and loops.

Gordy
2nd Aug 2016, 15:46
As far as I know, there are two red bull helicopters? One in the US and one in Europe. The one in the US already has someone training I believe.

skadi
2nd Aug 2016, 16:14
As far as I know, there are two red bull helicopters? One in the US and one in Europe.

Thats true. The 105 with US reg is a CBS and the european one ( german reg ) is the shorter CB variant.

skadi

TiPwEiGhT
2nd Aug 2016, 18:22
2 in the US, one based east coast and the other west to avoid long ferry flights.

TiP

Gordy
2nd Aug 2016, 19:05
2 in the US, one based east coast and the other west to avoid long ferry flights.

Are you sure.....I do know that Charles, (Chuck's son who worked for me), would do long ferry flights cross country with the aircraft.

herman the crab
2nd Aug 2016, 23:39
The guy is retiring,I believe he lost his son in a road accident recently. Give him the respect of his career and not drift off to irrelevant issues over who is who or who is better, etc.

HTC

Brilliant Stuff
3rd Aug 2016, 11:42
Whichever way you slice it those Aerobatics are awesome and I for one love them. Thank You Chuck for performing them.

evil7
3rd Aug 2016, 11:46
Red Bull has four (4) Bo 105 for their aerobatics shows. Two in the US are operated as "experimental" thus do not need a aerobatics certification.
The two German registered and Austria based aircraft are the worldwide only two helicopters actually certified for aerobatics by the manufacturer (Airbus) and the CAA ( German LBA).

Tourist
3rd Aug 2016, 13:58
The two German registered and Austria based aircraft are the worldwide only two helicopters actually certified for aerobatics by the manufacturer (Airbus) and the CAA ( German LBA).

Civvy certified, perhaps.

The Lynx has always done aeros, and I would think that Westlands would have put a stop to it if not certified.

evil7
3rd Aug 2016, 16:20
The Bo 105 started aerobatics in the military as well. But as the military can do what they want with their assets you could even use a Huey if you liked😉

Of course the RB helicopters are the only ones with civil certification. This is what counts. And there is no other manufacturer to date to have certified one of his (rotary) products for aerobatics!

This implements - there might be others who CAN do it but only RB is ALLOWED to do it🤓

By the way - with all the maintenance restrictions for the certification RB estimates an aerobatics flight hour for the Bo's with 36.000 Euros!