PDA

View Full Version : NAAFI CLOSURE

KPax
21st Sep 2015, 16:50
I read that the NAAFI has announced that it is no longer viable for them to operate. Do you think they have done a good job and will they be replaced by PAYD contractors?

ORAC
21st Sep 2015, 16:55
Nothing new; announced 2 years ago (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/406153/Naafi-to-shut-up-shop-after-century-of-service) and on schedule...... (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/armed-forces-boss-pockets-2m-5961629)

Courtney Mil
21st Sep 2015, 20:15
KPak, don't worry, I forget stuff all the time.

To your question. Forties and fifties, my mum and dad were posted to remote places with no transport. The NAAFI was their lifeline and was reasonably priced. Later, people had transport and could get to towns and shops. Then the NAFFI became expensive with poor quality brands and service folks saw that AAFES could provide great ranges at good prices to USAF and US Army folk at good prices and realised UK Armed forces personnel were being ripped off royalty and not being looked after. Then it became Spaafi. Then it was rubbish.

Did a great job after WWII. Went steadily downhill thereafter.

Danny42C
21st Sep 2015, 20:26
They should have a had a look at the US Forces' Post Exchanges to see how it should be done.

Courtney Mil
21st Sep 2015, 20:50
As I said, Danny. AAFES.

Pontius Navigator
21st Sep 2015, 21:11
Their big selling point was their return of profits to units. Never saw much publicity of the good they did. One tenet was no competition with the locals. Found the shop in Gan selling watches and electronics at UK prices. Pointed out hid local shops on Aden and Singapore were way cheaper. Having been challenged he cut the prices.

Years later, in Ascension, we bought soft drinks at the local down town BBC NAAFI with greater variety and lower cost than the RAF NAAFI a Travellers

Then, at Coningsby the NAAFI wagon became beyond economic repair and too costly to replace. Local woman bought a van, fitted it out, bought sausage rolls etc and sarnies and mad e a profit.

We all know what NAAFI stands for.

parabellum
22nd Sep 2015, 00:13
February 1959, cold, wet and miserable on Ash Vale ranges during basic training. "Too wet for the NAAFI truck, it might get stuck", so along comes the Sally Ann, as usual, all weathers and better snacks!

Danny42C
22nd Sep 2015, 00:13
Courtney,

Sorry ! (didn't grasp what AAFES meant - after my time, we just had PXs),

Still should've twigged it from the context, Senior Moment, I'm afraid !

Danny.

reynoldsno1
22nd Sep 2015, 00:40
I recall the NAAFI wagon at Akrotiri arriving outside Ops one day, the hatches being flung open and a very Greek voice announcing his arrival - "it's the thieving, bastard NAAFI again"...

Roadster280
22nd Sep 2015, 01:51
Danny - AAFES is the department of the US DoD that runs the old Post & Base Exchanges - Army & Air Force Exchange Service. I believe it was founded before WW1, so would have run the PXes that you visited. It's run as a company, but is a department of the DoD. There are no stores called "AAFES", they were either Post or Base Exchanges - Army or Air Force, but now all branded "Exchange". People still call them the PX though. Or BX.

They have their greatest value in providing US goods overseas. In CONUS, there are sometimes better deals in commercial stores. However, AAFES Exchanges are tax free, even in the US.

Now the really good deals are to be had at the Commissary - those are subsidized by Uncle Sam.

Danny42C
22nd Sep 2015, 05:35
Roadster 280,

Thanks ! Truly, you're never too old to learn - in my case exactly twice yours plus one !

We old-timers must stick together. :ok:

Danny.

minigundiplomat
22nd Sep 2015, 06:44
I remember going into the NAAFI to buy some boot polish years ago, only to find a whole shelf of brown boot polish and no black. Apparently they didn't sell much brown boot polish, but they used to sell their limited quantities of black straight away......... military boots being black, I suppose.:ugh:

POBJOY
22nd Sep 2015, 08:10
Well they seem to have turned up with the tea and wads in the Battle of Britain !!!

huge72
22nd Sep 2015, 08:24
Another little trick from Gan. In 74/75 every time you bought an item in either the Main shop or Tuck Shop the total bill always ended with an extra half pence. There were no half pence coins coins on the island so it was rounded UP to the nearest whole pence. Doesn't seem a lot but in the days of Cigarettes 10p, Beer 10p, pop 3p etc and 400 personnel with no where else to buy anything the NAAFI chaps were doing very well out of us!!!!

aox
22nd Sep 2015, 10:47
I think maybe I still have an LP bought in the NAAFI shop at Laarbruch during a week visit one Easter by our school CCF.

chevvron
22nd Sep 2015, 11:36
NAAFI wagon at Halton mid sixties.
SWO approaches van; before he says anything, girl behind counter says 'you can f*** off, I'm not bl00dy serving you'!
Can't think what he might have done to deserve that.

1.3VStall
22nd Sep 2015, 13:09
Flew on a KLM flight once where Captain van Driver was in the LH seat - I wondered if his first name was Naafi.

OK hat, coat........

PeregrineW
22nd Sep 2015, 15:15
Sad to see the end of an era, but when I think properly about it, my memories of the NAAFI are not all warm and fluffy. Overpriced, terrible beer, but at least you didn't have to drive to get there.

Does any one remember the microwaved "Old Dutch" carpetburgers that you could buy at the bar? (Of course, it may have been just the one NAAFI that did them. Sealand perhaps?). The trick was to throw away the burger and eat the box...

Pontius Navigator
22nd Sep 2015, 16:10
It was the organization that was shot. Couldn't' believe it when we found NAAFI in obscure places like Nairobi IIRC or George Town Ascension servicing the BBC and whatever cover name GCHQ was using.

Remember there refusing to pay top dollar for duty free out of date 35mm film. It was cheaper for Mrs PN to post a box of duty paid from home. Same with trainers. Life of a pair in ASI was 4 weeks tops.

brokenlink
22nd Sep 2015, 17:04
Think that certainly over the last few years they have not had the buying power to get the good brands at anywhere near supermarket prices and its cheaper to go to the local TE & S Cohen and sons. In the one at work today (now rebranded as MACE - though that was a pepper type spray!)) and a certain brand of moggy fuel was nearly £1.50 more expensive than I can buy in the village.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Sep 2015, 17:14
I used to run the Mess shop at Akrotiri. NAAFI gave me about 7-5% discount which was inadequate to pay the girl in the shop.

After a visit to the Chamber of Commerce I stocked postcards, superb quality, £10/1000 good profit margin, toiletries from the Greek that supplied NAAFI at 40% discount, and at a lockup store shed loads of stuff.

Naturally NAAFI tried to shut us down.

Always a Sapper
22nd Sep 2015, 18:52
Think that certainly over the last few years they have not had the buying power to get the good brands at anywhere near supermarket prices

Don't know about the last few years, but late 70's early 80's it wasnt a problem for them.

In respect to a certain well known brand of pies that was sold in the NAAFI... They were made in a bacon factory in Totnes, my Father was the sales manager for the factory at the time.

NAAFI used to buy a whole production run in one hit (they could process a scary number of pigs in one day from walking to pie in the place). Anyway, the price paid wasnt what the factory sales tried for but what the NAAFI offered which was lower than low and then on a take it or leave it basis which considering the state of the pig industry in the UK at the time was better than nothing.

Sadly, said 'discount' was not passed on to the paying customer (us), if it had then we would have paid something along the lines of 2p / item rather than the rip off price that they did charge.

Funny how beer & fags always seemed to get the discounts in Germany though, something like keep the troops 'happy' or was it pissed....

Always a Sapper
22nd Sep 2015, 20:03
NAAFI Wagon???? There is but ONE mobile food outlet and thats 'Wolfgangs Blue Bratty Van' of Soltau fame...

Anyone Remember Wolfgangs Imbiss Vans on Soltau ??? (http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/anyone-remember-wolfgangs-imbiss-vans-on-soltau.42646/)

Wolfgang of Soltau Schnellie wagon fame (http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/wolfgang-of-soltau-schnellie-wagon-fame.28515/)

Schnell Imbis (http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/schnell-imbis.27262/)

Bratwurst and Gyros vs. doner and burgers (http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/bratwurst-and-gyros-vs-doner-and-burgers.16075/)

Union Jack
22nd Sep 2015, 22:06
.......cheaper to go to the local TE & S Cohen and sons.

.... My friend Ian says it would be better to ask for directions to the nearest TE S(TOCKWELL and) CO(HEN).:ok:

Jack

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2015, 07:57
New thread?

All the great deals and good times with NAAFI.

Digressing, anyone remember a Forces Discount service run, I think, by a retired Sqn Ldr out of Ammanaford? Used to use him in the 60s. Those days an expedition in to town was a rarity and a chore - remember the regular visits to messes by the insurers and military tailors? Who bought shoes and shirts in shops? Or even the Mess shop that would get things in - I got my portable car radio, it could be used in my room, through the Mess at Coningsby.

teeteringhead
23rd Sep 2015, 09:02
We all know what NAAFI stands for. Indeed.

Many many years ago I was "pinged" to write an article on NAAFI (:eek::yuk:) for the Station Magazine. I fear I grew horns and titled the piece: "Ambition and Interest", which somehow got through the senior officer censorship process and was duly published...... :E

[A slightly cleaner version of the acronym was "Not Anywhere Around the Falkland Islands"]

Union Jack
23rd Sep 2015, 09:29
[A slightly cleaner version of the acronym was "Not Anywhere Around the Falkland Islands"]

I appreciate that we are referring to very different circumstances, but perhaps with the notable exception of events such as these:

HMS Ardent medals from Falklands War hero up for auction | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032180/HMS-Ardent-medals-Falklands-War-hero-auction.html):ok::ok:

A Can Man's View (http://www.hmsardent.org.uk/page29/page62/page62.html)

Jack

Old Bricks
23rd Sep 2015, 10:01
Many years ago on Basic Staff Course, a man from NAAFI HQ was scheduled to talk about NAAFI. On entering the lecture theatre, he was greeted by boos and hisses from the assembled throng. His opening remarks were that we should at least give him a chance to put his side, then he would take comments from us. First slide up was the NAAFI badge with latin motto. NAAFI man said "For those of you who don't speak latin I will translate - Never Give a Sucker an Even Break". We actually had a very good Q & A session after that.

teeteringhead
23rd Sep 2015, 11:01
Union Jack
I was of course aware - strictly EFI rather than NAAFI, but it was really just-post-'82 times I was referring to!

No offence intended to some very brave men.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2015, 11:08
In many cases the NAAFI staff at the front step up to the plate; it was from higher up that it seemed the problems stemmed.

At ASI the NAAFI kiosk at the New air terminal was open 8-5. The terminal handled Pax from 19-06.

Union Jack
23rd Sep 2015, 11:36
I was of course aware - strictly EFI rather than NAAFI, but it was really just-post-'82 times I was referring to!

No offence intended to some very brave men. - Teeters

Perfectly understood and agreed.

Jack

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2015, 12:54
I would guess NAAFI' s problem was the rapid shrinking of front-line(NAAFI front-line) services but fixed costs of HQ and logistics. Not just front-line but I think NAAFI provided food to Catering Sqn.

I remember NAAFI branded goods like tins of coffee beans were Good value. Still have some empty tins in my garage. Put them on Antiques Road Show if they don't sell on eBay.

VX275
23rd Sep 2015, 14:08
I remember the HQ Falklands Routine Orders for the 1st week in April 1984, it was full of announcements for things like the 'Round the Islands cruise by Coastel', the grand opening of the Stanley to RAF Stanley railway, the NAFFI increasing its beer prices by 6% etc. All were seen as being thoroughly good April fool jokes, unfortunately the NAFFI weren't joking.

NutLoose
24th Sep 2015, 18:47
They should display a NAAFI roll next to Damien Hurst's Shark in Formaldehyde, I bet it would outlast it and have a greater sell by date.

langleybaston
24th Sep 2015, 21:05
It should be understood that the prime purpose of the NAAFI was to provide an alternative target to the Met man/woman.
As such, there was a continuing NAAFI/ Met tension, exemplified by the rumours concerning the contents of the NAAFI pies served from the back of the van at Leeming.

Pontius Navigator
24th Sep 2015, 21:14
Nah, Met Men were in a league of their own.

Like the SMetO at ISK in the 70s, would not black out his met office during Tacevals. Would insist on MT to drive to Ops for briefings and would not allow his staff to walk either.

aox
24th Sep 2015, 21:53
They should display a NAAFI roll next to Damien Hurst's Shark in Formaldehyde, I bet it would outlast it and have a greater sell by date.

The Physical Impossibility of Food in the Mind of Someone Visiting the NAAFI

(to borrow some of that work's actual title)

Tankertrashnav
24th Sep 2015, 21:56
exemplified by the rumours concerning the contents of the NAAFI pies served from the back of the van at Leeming.

The arrival of the NAAFI van outside the hangar at Marham was always announced with "the squirrel **** pie lady's here!"

Re BX/PX - one big advantage of the US system was that no matter where they were on the globe, US servicemen and women could spend US$ in all base shops and clubs. This avoided the annoying (and costly) exchange of cash into various currencies which we had to do before going "down the route".

goudie
25th Sep 2015, 08:10
contents of the NAAFI pies served from the back of the van at Leeming.
As far back as '56 my Sqdn in Germany had it's own snack bar, selling bacon and sausage rolls, hot beverages etc. at reasonable prices. It was set up and run by the corporals, (with the Boss's blessing) who were tired of the NAAFI van fare. Very popular with both air and ground crew.
Never came across another one during my 20 yrs. service.

Wander00
25th Sep 2015, 08:57
The "coffee bars" in crew rooms at St Athan were pretty impressive businesses in the late 80s when I was on the Command Accounts inspection team - so impressive that several were large enough to fall within the turnover limit for VAT - then I recall between £20k and £25k

goudie
25th Sep 2015, 09:50
impressive businesses

Wander00

I recall the profits from ours went towards a very good Christmas pi$$up!

Pontius Navigator
25th Sep 2015, 10:38
Re BX/PX - one big advantage of the US system was that no matter where they were on the globe, US servicemen and women could spend US$ in all base shops and clubs. This avoided the annoying (and costly) exchange of cash into various currencies which we had to do before going "down the route".

The problem though was no one had money for a pay phone. I was in transit US-UK via Frankfurt and had to give a major some DM as no one in movements had any change for the phone.

langleybaston
25th Sep 2015, 10:39
Nah, Met Men were in a league of their own.

Like the SMetO at ISK in the 70s, would not black out his met office during Tacevals. Would insist on MT to drive to Ops for briefings and would not allow his staff to walk either.

Being uncharacteristically serious for a minute, there was only one reason for a Met Office on a station, and that was to provide SERVICE. Preferably with a smile.
I have removed SMetOs from stations for less than the above example. In any case, OCOps should have kicked arse. At very least, the Staish should have complained at the PMetO annual inspection visit.

Bladdered
25th Sep 2015, 11:28
Not fit for purpose and haven't been for a long time. At a secret support base with tunnels in North Wiltshire, they closed down the All Ranks bar at short-notice in the early n00ghties leaving us to get a team of volunteers together to run it. Six months afterwards, they asked to come and present their new package of 'financial' offerings to us (life insurance, finance etc) - they should not have been surprised to have been told that we had a prior engagement on the days presented to us! We were reported to the AOC who after a brief chat with the CO, went back and advised them that they would not be welcome on the site. Never heard from again!