PDA

View Full Version : Applecross Landing

anotherpruner
17th Sep 2015, 08:06
Interesting video in attached link; would it have been prudent for them to have held off until the area was clear?

VIDEO: Watch picnickers flee as helicopter heads straight for them (https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/697183/chopper-drama-spoils-lunch/)

chopjock
17th Sep 2015, 09:22
Aviation safety bosses have launched an investigation after terrified picnickers were forced to flee as a helicopter headed straight for them.

Dramatic footage of the incident shows a family and a couple walking their dog running for safety as the aircraft comes in to land at a Highland beauty spot.

Press exaggerating again to make more sales. :rolleyes:

SilsoeSid
17th Sep 2015, 10:54
Nothing that couldn't have been avoided with a courtesy call to Ms Fish.
She would have been able to tell the pilot that the 'normal site' was unavailable due to the building work (FOD), and at around the arrival time could have made sure the area was clear.

I do like the comment in the video at 0:48 & 1:04 considering Ms Fish is reported to say "All the customers were very happy."

John R81
17th Sep 2015, 17:58
Slowest "flee in panic" I have ever seen. Those guys will be gonners if there is a Zombie invasion!

Does show the benefit of a PPR call though.

Fareastdriver
17th Sep 2015, 19:07
The Collie seemed to enjoy it.

Radam559
17th Sep 2015, 20:07
I don't know how much longer he should have waited...he came in pretty darn slow...those people are not very bright. Its difficult to tell the angles, but they didn't even move until he was literally right next to them...I would have wanted to do the same thing, especially if that is the typical landing spot for a heli coming to the Inn... granted there should have been some notice to the Inn operator lol... I mean seriously what were they thinking when he was hovering just out in front of them at eye level...

SilsoeSid
17th Sep 2015, 23:18
You've got to love some of the comments here;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/3l0hgm/helicopter_barges_folk_out_the_way_so_someone_can/

eg
If the pub were expecting a helicopter, they should have cleared the area. The helicopter is pretty cool, but is this not just the same as someone pulling up in a Gallardo, driving over the car park onto the grass, and beeping his horn until folk moved out his way? I don't think anyone would think that's acceptable because he's got a cool car.

… but surely we must ask the questions, why did they have to land on that particular spot and wasn't it fortunate that the lady's scarf didn't fly up into the disc!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-18%20at%2000.04.15_zpsdhijkqjl.png

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-18%20at%2000.04.39_zpsdx7hmkhm.png

whoknows idont
18th Sep 2015, 00:23
I really wanted to honk while hovering so many times... Having a proper horn could be really useful. I think I should put an air horn in my flight bag for occasions like this. :E

CISTRS
18th Sep 2015, 06:01
Most commonly, given the remoteness, people will drive here but there are other more eco-friendly options which are worth considering including a local bus service, a semi-local train service or for the more energetic cycling! We also have those who prefer to come by boat or helicopter. Please be aware there is no taxi service in Applecross.

If you are planning to arrive by boat or helicopter it is best to ring in advance to discuss mooring and landing options.

PPR would have avoided this frankly intimidating behaviour.

Hughes500
18th Sep 2015, 06:36
Panic or picnic ? Jesus the pilot was very responsible there just goes to show what the press is all about. If the CAA processor that, we mad as well all give up.
Had a similar incident at Branscombe beach. One guy refused to move off the H ( 6 ft white letters). Ended with me hovering for about 3 to 4 mins while the owner of the beach had to forcibly move the guy off his property !!!!

SilsoeSid
18th Sep 2015, 09:32
Had a similar thing myself on the top of Grossglockner, however as the group were making slow progress we went back later. :ok:

Similar, same location but in an Alouette 3 and not such a nice sunny day.

rJP76rJ2NOc

On a different day at Applecross, with not such an infirm public, things could have ended very different.

helicopter-redeye
18th Sep 2015, 12:42
It's always very busy around the Applecross Hotel so unless there is somebody clearing and managing a landing area the only safe choice is to land on the beach and go clear it yourself then relocate. In the case the tide looks to be in so not an option. It is not a good landing spot even if it is in somebodies flight guide. Depending on the day I think an approach over water may be in the Sound of Rona danger area.

dsc810
21st Sep 2015, 16:59
...and in all this can someone estimate exactly how far away from the landing helicopter were the parked cars and the fencing of the compound containing the calor gas tanks - not to mention the tanks themselves.

Rather less distance than there should have been I'd reckon.

spencer17
21st Sep 2015, 17:40
It was outright stupid to force the picnickers to move.:ugh:
There are safe landing spots within a couple of 100 yards.
It's not quite the thing to make friends for our business.
Maybe commercial thinking is a bit different to weekend warriors.
Just my 2 cent.

jimf671
27th Sep 2015, 13:11
Helicopters appearing and landing on improvised landing sites is not unusual around the Inner Sound. In fact, this is a a bit boring by the long-established standards of the district. :E