PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Class 1

Lucky_Luke2
16th Sep 2015, 22:23
Hey guys,
I sincerely hope that you can get me a little bit of advise. I am well aware that most of you are not certified doctors, but I feel you could give a bit of a direction to go.

So this one is complicated...
I just came back from the DLR in Cologne, since the LBA (German aviation authority) redirected me there to do additional testing for my Medical Class 1. As you can imagine, it didn't go well.
Two issues came up:
I underwent heart surgery when I was 7 months old. I've had an ASD/VSD which was perfectly fixed, according to every cardiologist I've met up to date. Some said that it should be used as an example for University.

Second issue is binocular view. I've also had the bad luck of having a lazy eye since my birth which was never corrected.

So the outcome of today was: My heart would be perfectly fine, the DLR guy didn't even spend a closer look since he said he knows the other guy who did examine me in first place very well.
However, the binocular view issue seems to be a no-go. They've handed me glasses and issued me another date on which I will go back to Cologne to do testing again, since they belief that my binocular view is right on the limits.

If I fail this, in my opinion there are two options left (apart from not becoming a pilot, which sounds simple but is not when flying - no matter what type of - is your life dream):
I could either go to another state that applies EU-FCL in a bit of a less strict fashion than Germany - I've heard that the Netherlands or UK should be an alright place to do that kind of thing. However that is only rumors, I don't have any first-hand experience, and I haven't talked to anybody who has or who might know somebody that has. Good thing would be that they would probably not be that sensitive with my heart,
Second option I am considering is obtaining an FAA Class 1 medical. IMO my eyes should be pretty fine for that, however my heart could possibly become an issue, although I don't know FAA regulations as good as I know EU-FCL Part MED. Furthermore I have no idea whether a FAA medical would restrict me to flying in the US (which might be difficult without a greencard) or if there is some way to convert it back to a European medical without having all these troubles. I would however seriously consider doing my whole ATP in the US.

Thanks alot guys, I know it's quite a long text, but it's a complicated situation. Appreciate your thoughts!