PDA

View Full Version : Sqn Ldr Steve Smith (ex Nimrod)

fincastle84
16th Sep 2015, 09:27
After a short battle with cancer, sadly Steve passed away overnight at home in Forres, in the loving care of Glyn & their daughters.

RIP good friend.

thunderbird7
16th Sep 2015, 13:51
Very sad news. Absolutely top chap and pilot leader on 201. Remember propping up the balcony of the Air Commander's house in Gib with him on one particularly memorable weekend.

Bet he still had the pipe in...

RIP Smithy.

Random Bloke
16th Sep 2015, 14:29
Very sad news and my sincere condolences. I remember often being in fits of laughter listening to Smithy's somewhat forthright opinions on a wide variety of topics. Last flew with him out of Jacksonville on Rum Punch when he was on the GSU or NSU or whatever we called it that week.

RIP old mate.

Oldsarbouy
16th Sep 2015, 15:07
Steve was a near neighbour of ours and this news has come as a complete shock. We knew he was ill and he was very upbeat about it but we didn't realise just how serious it was. Our sincere condolences to Glyn and the girls at this sad time.

FE Hoppy
16th Sep 2015, 15:34
Very sad news. I will never forget him conducting the choir with his pipe as we sang Bohemian Rhapsody whilst perched on a flaming bar somewhere in Crete circa 1993.

A pleasure to fly with and learn from.

RIP Steve "Bloody" Smith.

BEagle
16th Sep 2015, 15:48
I knew Steve only from 4FTS days. Too big to fly the Gnat, he and another chap did the course on the Hunter instead. I remember him once asking me about the Hunter T7 intercom system and his exasperation about not being able to find anything about it in the Pilots Notes for the F6....until I asked who he thought he'd be talking to. Then that beaming smile and hearty Yorkshire laugh came out!

I bumped into him again at Leeming a couple of years later when he was on a Jetstream course - it was clear that he'd make a fine ME captain and I'm sure everyone on the Nimrod fleet enjoyed his manner, humour and professionalism....if perhaps not that pipe!

A sad loss. RIP, Steve.

Dimmer Switch
16th Sep 2015, 15:50
Can't think of him without smiling or even laughing out loud...in fact, as I type, I'm recalling him telling us about when they tried to squeeze him into a Gnat - which apparently went well until they tried to, and I quote,"Close t'lid" !!!! One of our all too few true characters who we will all continue to smile about whenever he's talked about - which will be often.

PingDit
16th Sep 2015, 15:52
RIP Steve, top bloke.

taxydual
16th Sep 2015, 16:44
Very sad news. Both he and Dale, his brother, were/are total characters.

I recall him being extended downwind at Lossie, way out over Spey Bay, and (I believe) forgotten about by a very unsure U/T Air Traffic Director. Up on freq came the familiar Yorkshire tones asking the Director 'Was he to obtain Oceanic Clearance or would Lossie do it?'

Again, sad news.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
16th Sep 2015, 16:46
RIP Smithy.

A top bloke - even when he was on the Stasi!

Duncs:ok:

Rossian
16th Sep 2015, 18:12
.....I'd be grateful if you guys have any good dits you could expand on. I intend to gather all the posts on here to give Glyn and daughters Jenny and Katy as a memento of husband and Dad and also for small baby grandson Jack. So that in years to come he too can say "My grandad was top bloke, lots of people said so".

My wife and I went to see him this PM, and I know it's a truism, but he really did look at peace, in comparison with yesterday when his breathing was very laboured.

The funeral director was visiting this PM and when the arrangements are known I'll post them in here.

The Ancient Mariner

Not Long Here
16th Sep 2015, 18:19
RIP Smithy,

One of natures true gentlemen.

taxydual
16th Sep 2015, 18:28
Re dits.

He once visited his brother Dale (a farmer 3 miles in the extended centreline of Rwy 34).

He visited at 250' and 230kts, in a Nimrod.

The phones in Leeming Ops rang continually for three days.

Oh Happy Days.

Oh and when he overshot from finals at ??? with a minor technical problem. I understand that Air Traffic put the Crash and Medic crews on full alert. He landing safely after the go around. He revealed to me some months later in the local pub, that he'd dropped his pipe on finals and he thought it may 'bugger up' the movement of the control column.

betty swallox
16th Sep 2015, 20:03
A true gent! What a great shame he's gone.

Always put young co-pilots (me) at ease on their GSU/NSU check by "raaaaaawght Betty, tell me abaaaaawt the blooooody air conditioning system!!", then hunkered back in his chair, pipe in mouth, and gave you that look....the over the glasses look with no glasses on...

RIP.

The Old Fat One
16th Sep 2015, 20:42
RIP...didn't know him as well as some, but I knew him well enough to know he was a mighty fine, highly regarded bloke.

MK 4A Tank
16th Sep 2015, 20:56
On April 20th 1990 he took the Virginia Airshow by storm and beat the 'Blue Angels'. 120 Sqn those were the days!! A true gent RIP 'Smithy'

TaccoHell
16th Sep 2015, 22:58
One of the all-time Maritime characters and a great pilot. Always a smile and a humorous story.

When he went for his initial RAF careers office interview he was smoking a pipe prior to being called in. Once called he tapped the tobacco out of the pipe and put it in his jacket breast pocket. Part way through the interview the interviewer pointed out that his jacket was on fire!

The further story was that once back home he took the jacket to his tailor to see if anything could be done and left it with the tailor. On collecting the jacket the breast pocket was repaired but protruding just a little from the rest of the jacket. On asking the tailor about this he was told, 'I've sewn in the lining of an oven glove so this won't happen again!'

RIP Smithy. Raconteur and true gentleman.

Pete R
17th Sep 2015, 07:17
An outstanding and rock solid guy in every way. Known him well for decades and, thankfully, managed to see him for a beer and a bun 3 months ago when I was back in the UK. We knew about his ailment then but he was as stoic and pragmatic as ever about it.
Referring back to Taxydual's post, I may have been in the other seat with Steve when we visited Dale, or he may have visited him more than once of course. I can't remember if he was doing my IRT or I his.
Steve was a larger than life character and calming influence who was always a pleasure to be with whether it was in the air or on the ground both in the RAF and out of it. A great guy and pilot, who was also passionate about his classic cars, he could always be relied upon to give wise counsel and was well respected by all who knew him throughout the ranks from the SAC to AOC.
Just 4 months ago, I was having a beer in Alaska, of all places, with a colleague who was ex-RAAF (Steve did an exchange tour on P3s with the Aussies) and he was trying to recall the name of this Brit he remembered who smoked a pipe. "Smithy", I replied. "Yep, that's him'" came the retort, "bloody good Pom."
It is an unjust world we live in and Steve will be sorely missed by all who had the pleasure to be associated with him and our heartfelt condolences go to his wife and family at this sad time. RIP mate.

Captain Dart
17th Sep 2015, 07:26
I had the pleasure of flying a P3 with Steve a few times. I remember him introducing himself as, 'Smiffy, wiv two f's'. Sad news.

thunderbird7
17th Sep 2015, 07:32
... the famous story of setting the bin on fire at OASC while being interviewed to join the RAF. While waiting to be called in, became desperate for a puff and lit up only to be summoned for the interview. Pipe in pocket, supposedly extinguished, interview started then paused while the smoke emanating from his jacket pocket was dealt with in the round green filing cabinet, then paused again to put out the paper fire in the bin. "Perfect Mr Smith, you're just the sort of chap we're looking for!" As told by him in between tears and gales of laughter from the rest of us in the bar....

..flying round the circuit doing SCT hoping he'd get intercom and r/t mixed up..

Oops!already been told but worth retelling again and again....

Shadwell the old
17th Sep 2015, 08:42
Each January CXX used to send 2 aircraft to the USN base in Keflavik with everything required to host a Burns supper for our country cousins. The big supper was always a success. One year Shadwell and his crew were lucky enough to be selected to represent CXX.

After the main cultural event as if we had not had enough of the amber nectar and other alcoholic beverages, we retired to the Brass Nut (a bar fuelled by contributions for the aircrew to "unwind"). At some ungodly hour it was time to leave. So Smithy and Shadwell set off to find their rooms in an adjacent block. As we arrived outside the cold air hitting us must have affected our constitutions and sense of direction as we set off in the wrong direction into the great FA. It was a beautiful calm but very cold evening and ideal for a stroll. Some time later we noticed, but did not react to the headlights approaching from behind.

The 2 shore patrol guys in the car must have thought all their Christmases had come at once with the sight of 2 people in "skirts" walking along the deserted road into the middle of nowhere. As they pulled up alongside us, we turned to face them and I will never forget the look on their faces. As they wound down the window, Smithy with his moustache and pipe smiles, and says "Whatcha cock". They invited us to get into the cage in the back of their car, which we did. There followed a silence as we drove back towards civilisation, broken only by Smithy saying to them "Manchester United". When I asked him the following day why he had said Manchester United, he replied that he could not think of anything to say that they would understand!

We have certainly lost a good un. He was a brilliant guy who was fair with everybody. Anyone who says that JJ was the worst Nimrod pilot he had seen (to be fair that was just after JJ joined his first squadron - he did improve later), cant be all bad.

Rest easy Smiffy

nosmo king
17th Sep 2015, 09:01
Very sad news, I flew with Smithy many times over the years as my crew Captain, as a fellow Nimrod pilot and latterly as an airline pilot. He was with out a doubt one of the best pilots I've ever flown but even more importantly a really good guy.

Stories abound about Steve, but my personal memory of him was being called to make up the numbers and fill in as a Co-pilot with him on a GSU training flight. As I was from a Squadron I was told that under no circumstances should I talk about the GSU's performance afterwards as they had their lofty position on the station to maintain. All went well until we were asked to make a fly past at Benbecula, Smithy proceeded to frighten the life out of me and the assembled throng that were stood outside the tower by making a pass that was so low I could see sheep looking down on us as we went by, which is no mean feat at Benbecula. Looking across and seeing me looking ever so slightly shaken as he pulled up Smithy says "yep the engineer was right, that bloody Radalt was reading over reading, make sure its snagged when we get back will you".

I know he will be sorely missed by many and I can just see him now with his pipe firmly set and beer in hand, issuing forth on the latest item that had annoyed him.

RIP Steve

QTRZulu
17th Sep 2015, 12:53
Such terribly sad news for all his immediate family and the wider maritime community as we lose another one of the greats.

I had the privilege of flying with Steve as my Captain on 201 in the early 90's and can honestly say it was some of the best flying in my career and left me with so many fantastic memories that for all sorts of reasons do not seem quite appropriate to repeat at this moment in time.

A true gentleman who will be sadly missed. RIP Steve

Rossian
17th Sep 2015, 15:10
.....from Glyn:

Steve's funeral will be on Friday 25th Sep at 1330 in the large chapel at Inverness crematorium. She has specifically asked for NO flowers and that folks dress appropriately, but definitely NOT all funereal black, as it is to be a celebration of Steve's life as we all knew and remember him.

Any donations will go to the Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund and Help for Heroes

The event will then move to the Mosset Tavern in Forres for suitable libations and more memories of Steve.

It would help the catering at the Mosset if we can get a feel for how many are likely to attend. Will you let me know by PM if you are likely to be there and I can pass that on.

The Ancient Mariner

fincastle84
17th Sep 2015, 15:46
I'll see you there, we'll give the old git a really good send off.

ExV238
17th Sep 2015, 16:16
This is very sad news.

On April 20th 1990 he took the Virginia Airshow by storm and beat the 'Blue Angels'. 120 Sqn those were the days!!

Yes, I was the co-pilot. Halfway round the first left turn at about 300ft I glanced across the cockpit towards the ground and saw that we were passing right over the top of a cemetery, with a burial in progress. I warned Smiffy as we began the second turn; his response: "CON ME ON, CON ME ON!!" Shame that there can't be Nimrod to repay the compliment to him on the 25th, but there might be a quiet smile or two to be had.

I also remember a heated exchange between him and the then Station Commander as we tried to depart Gander(?) in a snow shower during the return from that trip. Smiffy and I were passengers, and the staish was captain with my newish co-pilot in the right seat. Smiffy made several intercom calls from the starboard beam lookout position to report ice building up on the wing as we taxied for take-off, with no response. Finally, he bellowed (off intercom) up to the flight deck, within earshot of most of the crew, "THERE'S FOOK**N ICE ON THE LEADING EDGES, YOU [ :mad: ]!" ....direct as always, but with integrity and right on his side.

I was the exchange pilot in Oz a few years after him. He had done up an ancient Austin A30 during his tour, and it was passed down to succeeding RAF exchange pilots over the years. His parting words to me before I left the UK were along the lines of "look after that fook**n car, young lad". It was in a rather sorry state by then though, with no real brakes, several large spiders in residence, and a bent coat hanger as the radio aerial. It worked fine as ID, though, because the gate guards always waved you through. Sadly, but quite understandably, my successor didn't want it so I sold it to an enthusiast for restoration. I hardly dared face Smiffy when I got home...

Rest easy Smiffy and thanks for everything.

:D

goldfish666
18th Sep 2015, 08:57
The following is relayed from Rowdy Yeats, now living in Alabama,

Yes this is sad news, Steve was a good man and Shipmate. I remember flying with him only once or twice and there was no one quite like him. My most vivid memory of Steve was the day of the Nimrod vs Nimrod race between 42sqn and Aston Martin. I was able to catch most of it on video. The best scene was Steve's low/high speed past as seen from the runway center line, mid field. I was not able to post any condolences on that web page you sent, so if you find a way, please help me get these words to Glyn and his Daughters, my thoughts and prayers are with them. From across the pond, Ray Yeats

goldfish666
18th Sep 2015, 13:05
A sad loss indeed. However he leaves behind a legacy of happy memories and funny stories told in that uniquely dry way of his. From his account of the two rules that hung at the entrance to the family farm and far too rude to repeat here, to his own interpretation of what QFI actually stood for...!

It was an honour and a privilege to have known and worked with him.

RIP Smiffy

C4IONMYPC
18th Sep 2015, 18:42
When 42(TB) Sqn was converting from Nimrod MR1 to Nimrod MR2, Smiffy managed to get a MR2 jet down to St Mawgan to show the Squadron the new aircraft and also get his crew home for a long weekend. Being a brilliant pilot he decided that on the return flight he would show that although with all the new kit it was a heavier jet, it could still perform well. He decided to fly over SHQ fairly low then put on the power and climb away en-route back to Kinloss. There was only one problem with his impromptu flypast, the Station Commander was having a meeting about low flying aircraft with the Mayors of Truro and Bodmin at the time. ATC contacted him and said on arrival at Kinloss he was to contact Sunray St Mawgan. The result of the phone call was never revealed.

Rossian
19th Sep 2015, 09:48
The venue for the wake after the funeral ceremony will be now be the Ramnee Hotel,Victoria Road, Forres

The Ancient Mariner

Yellow Sun
19th Sep 2015, 18:35
Very sorry to read of Steve's demise. To go at his age is desperately bad luck. IIRC fate also dealt him a poor hand around his 38 point when the collapse of Air Europe closed off his nascent airline career.

Does anyone else recall his personalised "RAF" number plate on that Citroen GSA?

YS

C4IONMYPC
20th Sep 2015, 10:27
I remember it well as the RAF registration was due to it being Cornish, Truro registration office. I bought the car from Steve when he left for his exchange tour as he lived in Challis Avenue and I lived in Lanherne Ave round the corner from him. It was a lovely car to drive and comfortable on long journey as I had to drive from my house in St Mawgan Village to Aberdeen overnight due to my mother falling ill. Left at 02:15 and was at Woodend hospital in Aberdeen at 11:45.

Neptunus Rex
20th Sep 2015, 14:48
In the halcyon days of 42 Squadron under Bog-H in the early 80s, I was having a post-flight ale in the 'Scruffs' Bar' at St Mawgan when copilot Steve came in with his crew, including their somewhat vertically-challenged Skipper. There was a row of coat-hooks high on the wall opposite the bar.

The Captain said something to incur Steve's displeasure, so our strong Yorkshire lad grabbed him under the armpits and hung him by his flying suit collar onto a coat hook, which left him unable to escape, his feet some six inches off the ground. Great merriment ensued and we kept the hapless Skipper supplied with pints until Steve released him.

Truly a legend of the sadly defunct Kipper Fleet.

flapsin
20th Sep 2015, 19:57
Pingo perhaps?
Bye Steve