PDA

View Full Version : B777 skipping the flap positon while extending

littlejet
12th Sep 2015, 12:03
Will the system let you skip the flap position while extending retracting eg. go straight from 1 to 15 or from 15 to UP, assuming the speed is OK (no load relief).
B777 in question.

TURIN
12th Sep 2015, 12:04
Yes. :ok:

Ka8 Flyer
12th Sep 2015, 17:01
Just out of curiosity - which aircraft won't?

No Fly Zone
12th Sep 2015, 22:48
I'm not a 777 driver or engineer, but a seriously good guess:

Unless some other monitored parameter is violated, Why Not? As another poster asks, what other aircraft DOES require an interim stop? I've never heard of one. Has anyone?:confused:

littlejet
13th Sep 2015, 15:14
Well it happened to me....from one straight to 15 and speed below 215 (773) , I 've got load relief msg....returned back to 5, msg disappeared. I am trying to look for the reason in a preprogrammed sequence in the FCU and induced error if it is skipped
FlyingStone go to a sarcasm forum or wherever if you do not have a technically proficient answer.

Fursty Ferret
14th Sep 2015, 11:23
Just out of curiosity - which aircraft won't?

Airbus FBW types will not allow you to retract the slats if speed / AoA are not appropriate (see alpha lock).

Ka8 Flyer
14th Sep 2015, 20:22
@Fursty: yes, but the OP did mention "assuming the speed is OK".

@Amadis: ah, yet one more similarity between the Ka-8 and Concorde ;)

littlejet
15th Sep 2015, 05:53
N1EPR
Do not expect me to go into a virtual bar fight because that still doesn't count as a fight.

I respect retired pilots but I have no time nor interest to explain the scenario to you why, when, where and how it happened.

I am interested in purely technical side of it....that is something I like to do when I am not busy commanding a B777.
So, like for the poster before...if you do not have a technical knowledge of the FCU and the high lift devices of a B777 please contribute to another discussion

heavy_landing
15th Sep 2015, 07:31
Little jet, the only reason that the load relief would not allow flap 15 would be if the placard speed for that flap setting was being exceeded at the time.

littlejet
15th Sep 2015, 13:05
AoG

1. Are you flying B777?
2. Do you know anything about the systems of B777?
3. Do you fly wide body aircraft?
4. Do you have training experience?
3. Are you presently a Captain?

I can say that you consider yourself funny with mostly useless one line answers...

I need a technical answer and not an insult, however asking for that on these
forums is a lost battle obviously

john_tullamarine
16th Sep 2015, 11:39
Dear, oh dear ... this sort of puerile nonsense may be pertinent elsewhere but not in this forum.

As most will understand I am slow to get annoyed ... can we return to the usual standard expected in TL, please ?

AoG can reflect upon his attitude from the sideline for a while ...

Juri75
16th Sep 2015, 19:42
The 777 has a flap system that is capable of doing that. However the flap lever is on an indented track so this has to be done on purpose.This to prevent accidental flap movement.

JammedStab
16th Sep 2015, 23:00
Dear, oh dear ... this sort of puerile nonsense may be pertinent elsewhere but not in this forum.

As most will understand I am slow to get annoyed ... can we return to the usual standard expected in TL, please ?

AoG can reflect upon his attitude from the sideline for a while ...

Thanks for the help. Talks like a simmer anyways.

On the flaps note for the 777(slightly off topic) but I wonder why flaps 25 not certified for autoland.

shakealeg
7th Jun 2017, 15:41
They tested 20 and tested 30 and those spooky engineers probably couldn't understand that you might want to autoland with 25. I'm interested. Why would you?

wiggy
7th Jun 2017, 16:57
shakealeg.

I suspect you are right about the reasons, rumour has it F25 autoland been done at least once........(it wasn't me, honest)...

JammedStab
8th Jun 2017, 17:33
Imagine you are doing a 1 engine inoperative landing. What flap setting options do you have? Then you do a go-around.....what flap setting will you call for? Your selection will likely skip a setting or two. Even a normal go-around from flap 30 skips the 25 position and goes to flap 20.

WrldWide
8th Jun 2017, 22:13
773 is certified for flaps 25 autoland

JammedStab
8th Jun 2017, 23:10
Maybe you have to pay Boeing extra for the right to be able to do it legally.

WrldWide
8th Jun 2017, 23:18
All I know is what my afm says. Not expressing an opinion

wiggy
9th Jun 2017, 09:39
773 is certified for flaps 25 autoland

Well FWIW our company "afm" says "no" (I'm also not expressing an opinion), so looks like it's a company specific restriction.

I suspect the reason is the one given by JammedStab.

zlin77
9th Jun 2017, 12:52
Having been involved with 6 different 777 operators on 200ER, 300 & 300ER their Limitations restricted Autolands to F20/30, however this is not to say that F25 Autoland certification trails have not been carried out, maybe a Boeing engineer can give input, I assume that any certification for an Autoland flap setting will involve many landings at different weight/wind/CG limits, F20/30 would normally give an operator sufficient options...

skkm
10th Jun 2017, 01:11
At my carrier, some of our -300ERs are certified for Flap 25 autoland and others are not. None of our 200/300s are. Of course, as mentioned above, the non-certified ones still seem to manage it just fine on occasion :E

LH777
10th Jun 2017, 09:02
Will the system let you skip the flap position while extending retracting eg. go straight from 1 to 15 or from 15 to UP, assuming the speed is OK (no load relief).
B777 in question.

Yes the system will let you. Point of note - the NPs in the FCOM state you wait for the correct flap icon to display on the speedtape before selecting the next flap position. Reference the flap retraction and extension schedules in the NPs.