PDA

View Full Version : Come on in, the water's fine .....

Peter3127
9th Sep 2015, 03:05
Really ..... ?

https://instagram.com/p/7YhJ4JyOQF/ :mad:

krypton_john
9th Sep 2015, 03:21
Lucky he didn't lose his TR. What an effing idjit!

Peter3127
9th Sep 2015, 04:31
Certainly puts "hydraulically assisted Tail Rotor" in a new light .... :=

maddmatt
9th Sep 2015, 07:48
Hmmm wonder if he had to explain himself after that footage was released, that was probably as close as you can come to a disaster!!

Fareastdriver
9th Sep 2015, 09:06
He probably owned the boat and the helicopter.

Flyting
9th Sep 2015, 12:22
......the helicopter and the boat nearly owned him.... :oh:

Devil 49
9th Sep 2015, 13:09
Any idea where the video was taken?

onetrack
9th Sep 2015, 14:20
In a country where aviation regulation and training is seriously lacking, I'd say .... :suspect:

lelebebbel
9th Sep 2015, 14:50
Any idea where the video was taken?

Looks like "PR-" registration on the machine, so: Brazil?

WASALOADIE
9th Sep 2015, 17:38
New meaning to "Prop wash" at least the TR blades will be nice and clean now.

Seriously though, it's idiots like him who eventually become statistics

Norman Deplume
9th Sep 2015, 19:20
"Any idea where the video was taken?"

I tried to resist, really I did, I was hoping somebody else would say it.

Videod from the back of a boat I am almost certain ;)

Sorry......:O

Maybe one day I will grow up, but in the mean time, jokes aside, I know exactly what you mean....

Agile
10th Sep 2015, 05:58
Advancing TR blade hitting the water
you can see a bit of bounce back on the tail.

if it would have been retreating blade touching first
would it have swallowed the tail more and sink him in.

he was in the light flare the pitch might have been that high.

RVDT
10th Sep 2015, 06:48
Just bend the "incident" tabs back straight so maintenance doesn't see it.

Nothing to see here.

I wonder if a tail rotor strike inspection was carried out?
Or the next poor sod to fly it sometime in the future will find out the hard way?

10th Sep 2015, 07:20
Plus having the TR driveshaft inspected as that will have been shockloaded to some degree!

Peter3127
10th Sep 2015, 12:08
Given the three orders of magnitude on the density of water over air I am amazed the machine did not kick more in the yaw. TR RPM/pitch didn't change instantaneously and the fastest part immersed .... blah blah blah.

The only way to absorb that energy instantaneously, as Crab suggests, is to wind up that TR drive shaft ...

But, being a nerd, I reckon the entrained flow and low pressures would have caused cavitation limiting the lift of the affected tips. For the short durations of impact anyway. :}

And, as Agile says, if that TR had been going the other way the effect may have (paradoxically) been much worse.

Notwithstanding the noted implications of an abrupt impact of an axisymmetric planar lifting assembly inclusive of a plurality of blades perpendicularly disposed to, and impinging upon, the free surface boundary between atmospheric and a hydrostatic body including, but not limited to, H2O the conclusion is as previously determined by Sikorsky (1939) et seq ....

.... You Bend It, You Own It!!!

Agile
11th Sep 2015, 01:30
Cavitation is a good point, there are video of similar situation (including fenestron) often it looks like the flow of air already present is not letting water fully attack the blades, at least for a partial hit.

What comes out the event is a lot of mist; that would explain the absence of impact on the stability of the helicopter as the blade are turning (for that short time) in much less dense mix of water and air.

Lastly the aircraft structure hanging below is much lighter that water and would want to bounce back as a float would.

that does not count for the video bellow where the Fenestron got it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wBgviMXKDE

Soave_Pilot
11th Sep 2015, 02:26
This sad event (for us professional pilots) in this video that went viral took place in Brasil, city of São Luis. The lunatic who was flying the machine is actually the owner as well. Some rich business man linked to politicians.... Dont need to go any further.

This is not the first and surely wont be the last jacka$$, I truly hope the authoryties get rid of his private pilots license.

Fareastdriver
11th Sep 2015, 08:10
As I said in #5.

Pontius Pirate
13th Sep 2015, 07:45
Keep it simple...the guy was a bell and his end will surely come!

Agile
13th Sep 2015, 10:35
I am going to raise a lot of fire by saying so ...
yes it was not smart
yes it could/should have ended in a major fail
yes it is unfortunate that it was filmed (as it make the industry-profession look bad)

however I am sure that most of us as pilot have made bad judgment in flying once in your career, you got away with it, it was not filmed, you keep it in the back of your mind under the heading "never do again".

is that not true? it doesn't`t mean your end should come soon

krypton_john
13th Sep 2015, 21:53
We've all done things that we regretted/were embarrassed about... but I wonder if anyone here has done anything as stupid as this.

nigelh
13th Sep 2015, 22:38
I am sure some have ....but reckon they are all dead by now !! This one has a Darwin Award waiting for him for sure !!

whoknows idont
14th Sep 2015, 06:55
Killing others: The death of innocent bystanders absolutely rules out a Darwin Award. We don't applaud those who take others out of the gene pool, even if they share some DNA in common. Injuring bystanders is also frowned upon.

Darwin Awards: Rules (http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/)