PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing CPL to rotor CPL-As good as it seems?

Bubbledriver
8th Sep 2015, 16:48
Evening everyone,

A question that has been pondering my mind for quiet some time now.I have spoken to my flight school which conducts training on both types and the CFI (who is a fixed wing pilot) has convinced me that going the fixed wing route and coverting to heli's would be the best and cheapest route.NOT taking into account the finances involved in doing a full 200 hr heli-only comm,is this advisable?
The scenario in my mind is if a 200 hr rotor pilot and a 100 hr rotor pilot (you receive 100 hours accreditation if you convert from fixed wing cpl to rotor cpl and vise versa),a company will logically hire the 200 hr pilot.

However,the advantage which lies with converting from fixed wing to rotor is that if you do your IF rating in a fixed wing and convert it to an IF heli rating,it is: A-going to be much cheaper and
B-It will give you a great advantage in the heli industry.

Anyone care to please share their thoughts on the matter?It will be highly appreciated.

regards,
Bubbl' :ok:

dusk2dawn
9th Sep 2015, 05:35
That's how I did it. Just short of 2000 hrs stiff-wings I added a CPL-H and I still believe I enjoyed substantial benefit from my previous experience.