PDA

View Full Version : B737 unknown thing over MCP

Manicured garden
3rd Sep 2015, 17:21
Hey guys, I wonder what does it do, that cube*shaped solid over MCP - attached here as a photo?
Does anyone know what is it for?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rquu3rt3988uq28/cube.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

Dash8driver1312
3rd Sep 2015, 17:30
That monitors atmospheric conditions for suitability to activate chemtrail dispensing.

750XL
3rd Sep 2015, 17:45
Am I correct in thinking its a reference point for pilots to adjust/align their seats?

FAR 25.773 (d) mandates installation of a 'fixed marker or other guide' in transport category aircraft to ensure that the pilots adjust their seating position such that they are positioned at the design eye reference point.

Mikehotel152
3rd Sep 2015, 17:52
I thought it was an ambient light sensor for flightdeck lighting.

LEVEL600
3rd Sep 2015, 18:03
Right, it is remote light sensor for CDS.

Chesty Morgan
3rd Sep 2015, 19:37
Be a bit daft having it in glaring sunlight with the rest of the flight deck in shadow.

Denti
3rd Sep 2015, 20:39
Guess Boeing was a bit daft then placing it there. Have to say though, display light level adjustment works a lot better on the 737 than on the bus.

Manicured garden
3rd Sep 2015, 20:44
So guys still not satisfied with the answer. What I've been told is that that's for a lightning strike, to get the static load to protect MCP.

Asked the guy for the reference but couldn't show me, that's why I wanted to ask yo,u folks.
So if anyone can explain with the reference instead of opinions, I'd appreciate.

Amadis of Gaul
3rd Sep 2015, 21:15
So guys still not satisfied with the answer.

This ain't Shop-Rite, your satisfaction is not guaranteed. Not even promised, actually.

Skyjob
3rd Sep 2015, 23:37
Manicured garden - ask your engineers...
Or find a reference in maintenance manual regarding glare shield construction to be able to "see" in manuals below the screwed on (top) cover.

NSEU
3rd Sep 2015, 23:45
Guess Boeing was a bit daft then placing it there. Have to say though, display light level adjustment works a lot better on the 737 than on the bus.

Automatic lighting control on the 737NG and other Boeing types involves both the glareshield sensors and the ones on the display units.

I have seen cases where the light sensors on the glareshield have been mounted backwards (maintenance error) causing the displays to go dim, even unreadable.

So guys still not satisfied with the answer. What I've been told is that that's for a lightning strike, to get the static load to protect MCP.

Did this coincide with April 1st?

http://www.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/737NG/RLS.gif

Oakape
4th Sep 2015, 02:40
What I've been told is that that's for a lightning strike, to get the static load to protect MCP.

I hope he didn't really believe that & was actually having a laugh at your expense! Gave me a good laugh either way!

NSEU is correct.

Mr Good Cat
4th Sep 2015, 09:13
I think it is primarily to be used an attachment for the FO to secure his GoPro3 prior to any Facebook video upload.

Although I may be wrong.

Manicured garden
6th Sep 2015, 09:11
NSEU - Thanks for your serious answer & help.
Thanks a lot.

Yeelep
6th Sep 2015, 12:23
Manicured garden, some references for your uninformed friend.
MMpt1 31-62-00-202CDS
MM 31-62-41
CMM 31-61-29

FullWings
6th Sep 2015, 14:43
It has the dual function of light sensor and somewhere to rest the end of a clipboard. Or GoPro...

Otto Throttle
6th Sep 2015, 17:03
It serves the dual purpose of preventing you putting your clipboard properly on the glare shield and in providing a nice shiny surface to ensure an annoying reflection is cunningly placed on the windshield exactly in your line of sight.

Probably made by the same people who designed the seat adjustment mechanism to ensure the right position is not quite achievable :}

EEngr
7th Sep 2015, 15:04
The idea of placing a sensor in this position is to monitor the light level entering the cockpit window and control instrument illumination to track this level. So your eyes don't have to adjust too much when shifting your gaze from outside to the screens. Sensors on instruments work in conjunction with this to keep ambient light inside the cockpit from overpowering the displays.

mustang.spitfire
7th Sep 2015, 16:39
Hello all and I have a question for Airbuses pilots:

Does Airbus have a similar system, please?

Thank you so much!

RVF750
10th Sep 2015, 06:29
No, Airbus has a retractable table to do the job this sensor mostly does...

bArt2
10th Sep 2015, 08:39
@ Manicured Garden

I am intrigued about the -6 mentioned on the PFD in your picture.

Denti
10th Sep 2015, 11:04
I am intrigued about the -6 mentioned on the PFD in your picture.

It is the RA height, at the ground it reads negative.

Does Airbus have a similar system, please?

No, and the display system of the airbus is a lot worse than the NGs one. On the NG the middle position of the brightness control for the PFD/ND worked for me on most planes and most lighting situations. Don sunglasses and tweak it up a little, at night tweak it down a little and still a lot of control left over. Not to mention of course the amount of information one can display.

On the bus i have to have the screens at full brightness during the day and reading them is somewhat difficult with sunglasses on, at night turn it full down and they are still too bright.

Yes, the table is nice and overall the bus is the better working place, but especially for displays and a lot of the avionik system the NG is simply better, but then it is more modern there.

mustang.spitfire
10th Sep 2015, 12:11
Oh great, Denti!
Thanks for your feedback!