PDA

View Full Version : Emirates staff travel

kat127
3rd Sep 2015, 16:53
Could anyone who works for Emirates give me a rough idea of the cost of flying to London from Dubai return using standby staff travel? My husband has just been offered a job from them and Im trying to work out how often Il be able to afford to fly home besides the one free ticket they are offering. Thank you in advance.

Curry Goat
4th Sep 2015, 02:19
Hi Kat. To actually answer your question without the useless verbiage, the cheapest is approximately GBP200 for a return ticket, tax included.

Oceanic
4th Sep 2015, 03:30
Extremely difficult at times to get standby. I have done the commute for 8 years and invariably end up paying for a commercial ticket or going via AMS or CDG. (I am entitled F stby, but it makes little difference.) Good Luck.

halas
4th Sep 2015, 03:52
The UK tax is the killer.

halas

ABBOT
4th Sep 2015, 05:09
Going to UK is fine, have take to doing a self planned city beak on the way back, night in Prague/Vienna etc and RYR/EZY flight heavily subsidised by UK tax savings

kat127
4th Sep 2015, 07:22
Thank you thats good news- about £100 cheaper than I would pay with B.A. Yeah I read it can be difficult. Thanks for the info :)

Southpole
4th Sep 2015, 07:52
Sometimes I get qantas from LHR to DXB.. Zed ticket for 250 pounds. Return all included. And they usually are not as full as those of emirates :)

Ps I am not working for emirates!

BYMONEK
5th Sep 2015, 02:22
Apologies for slight hijacking of the question but as on the subject of staff travel......

Where is it written regarding who is entitled to lounge access and when? Searched through staff travel sections as trying to find if Captain's children over 16 are allowed in on ALT? Appears to be just spouse but can't find the bloody thing anywhere!

Thanks in advance.

Curry Goat
5th Sep 2015, 05:18
Bymonek.

It's in there somewhere. Kids are gone now so haven't looked for a while, but when last I checked it was lounge access for employee and spouse only, when on ALTs. If you are not aware, Mashreq and NBD visa debt cards allow you to sign up for "lounge key", which gives you access to lounges worldwide, including marhaba lounge in DXB (kinda ghettoish, but better than nothing)

halas
5th Sep 2015, 07:22
Priority Pass from Visa/Mashreq.

Only decent thing the bank did for me.

halas

Schnowzer
5th Sep 2015, 07:27
Same with Standard Chartered Priority. Haven't seen a lounge for years!

JAARule
5th Sep 2015, 07:58
CitiBank customer. No lounge pass at least not that I've been told.

But since the check-in staff give out the boarding pass at -60min (for ID90) I go pretty much directly to the gate. Not sure why anyone would want to lurk in the lounge with the ferals for a desperate 10-15 minutes.

On an ALT I show up not long before cut off. They can shove their grudging lounge access.

Emma Royds
5th Sep 2015, 08:53
kat127

Out of all the flights between London and Dubai, Emirates usually fills first but we can get standby with all the airlines flying direct between London and Dubai.

-BA
-Virgin
-Qantas
-Royal Brunei

If you just need a seat then unless it's peak holiday season when all the flights can fill up, then you should be able to get on a flight with not much problem. I have not managed to not get back to the UK when I have needed to but I have used other airlines on a number of occasions.

Worth noting that if you would like to keep the cost as low as possible, flying standby from the UK to AMS with KLM and then taking one of the two daily Emirates flights from AMS will still save you money. About £50 based on my rough maths compared to a direct LHR-DXB standby with Emirates.