PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tips/tricks for Bell 206 twist grip?

Rotorhead84
1st Sep 2015, 16:11
Anybody aware of a good method for cleaning the cork material that is on bell 206 twist grip handles? We have a few that are very sticky. Thinking about maybe just wrapping them in stakeboard tape if we can't get them clean.

902driver
1st Sep 2015, 16:39
In the past I have used disinfectant bleach wipes and they work a treat. I guess the U.S. equivalent would be Clorox or similar.

You will probably use quite a few and you'll need to do it at a time that you're not going to fly straight after to allow the cork to dry.

Be careful not to get the bleach on any painted areas too.

Hope this helps!

Ps, test a small area first to be on the safe side. :ok:

longbox
1st Sep 2015, 17:15
I can really sympathise with you, a cloth, warm soapy water works a treat, or pull it off and apply a nice new one;)

Rotorhead84
1st Sep 2015, 17:25
You've got me thinking now longbox...

I wonder if the twist grips on the dual controls (that we use once every decade) would fit...

longbox
1st Sep 2015, 19:48
Buy a cork tile, cut to size, bond on then tape up overnight, good as new and no smell

Gomer Pylot
1st Sep 2015, 20:17
I've used a number of cleaning solutions over the years, and they all work, more or less, but getting maintenance to just change the grip is the best solution. You can buy cork sheeting fairly cheaply, and just cut to fit, using contact cement to hold it in place. That's what Bell uses. I hate to think of all the organisms and toxins that live in that cork after a few thousand hands have caressed the collective after caressing other things. :eek: :ooh:

Thridle Op Des
2nd Sep 2015, 15:10
The trick is to run a scarfe joint, it will stay on much longer and makes the sizing of a butt joint less of a pain in the - umm. Gently sand the excess to blend.

fatmanmedia
2nd Sep 2015, 15:31
instead of the cork why not use self amalgamating tape, once it gets too dirty you can cut if off and apply more tape, i use it on a number of things that i need good grip of, tennis racket, bicycle hand grips.

the great thing is that it can be cleaned with simple soap and water or wet wipes.

fats

cockney steve
4th Sep 2015, 12:17
What is the position , re- using "uncertified, untraceable materials?

AIUI, any Certified aircraft has to have every mod/replacement/addition documented and it all has to be "approved" at vast expense.

Don't tell me there's an outbreak of common-sense and you "just do it" , no names, no pack-drill.