PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Spotter and Bell 429

HeliNomad
29th Aug 2015, 21:44
Anyone here have experience using a Chopper Spotter with the a Bell 429? We have two of the Model 4 units and like it very much with the EC-130B4 which we just placed an order for the Bell 429 to replace. The nice folks at the Chopper Spotter company say that it's been done but I'd like to hear from first hand accounts. Anyone?

Thanks

EN48
29th Aug 2015, 22:18
No experience with the Chopper Spotter, but you may want to give this one a serious look: Home (http://www.aviground.com/)

Recently switched from the Heliporter (have owned several over the years) to the AviGround unit. The Heliporter is a model of superb workmanship, but I have found the AviGround HeliTug to be that and much more. The remote control capability of the AviGround is a game changer IMO. Ease of use is waaay ahead of any similar helicopter tug I have used. Customer support has been world class. :ok:

HeliNomad
30th Aug 2015, 05:26
I'm not really looking to get rid of both of my chopper spotters without at least giving them a shot with the 429. Do you use that rig with the 429?

havick
30th Aug 2015, 08:13
The AviGround unit is similar to other trolleys in years gone by, they are very difficult to line up on the skid tubes correctly.

I'd stick with the chopper spotter as it has the arms that can be moved in and out if you don't the the unit absolutely perfectly in place. They;re not a perfect solution but pretty good. Can't comment on it for the 429 but the company I work for uses it on a B427 easily enough.

There is another trolley out there that I have seen that has massive rubber blocks that the skid tubes sit on when the lifter is raised hydraulically. This makes it quicker and easier to line up (doesn't have to be perfectly lined up like the aviground unit). I can't remember who built this one though.

EN48
30th Aug 2015, 14:30
Do you use that rig with the 429?

No. The unit I have is designed for the B206/B206L/B407/E480B.

The AviGround unit is similar to other trolleys in years gone by, they are very difficult to line up on the skid tubes correctly.

This has not been my experience. Just the opposite. The remote control capability allows one to stand where the alignment can be easily verified and fine adjustments made on the fly. May vary with different helo models.