PDA

View Full Version : ATC 's Looking For Vacancies

ferris
16th Jun 2002, 07:22
It seems the recent industrial circus in Australia is the last straw for some. Anybody aware of vacancies at their outfits?
There are a couple for area radar here.

Capcom
16th Jun 2002, 07:36
Sorry old bean, Same thought same time!!!:D :D :D
I have posted the link from your thread on D&G to keep the info that comes in together..

Regards

Capcom

ferris
17th Jun 2002, 12:48
Address for expressions of interest etc. for UAE is

[email protected]

Mr K. Vowden or Mr R. Sharpe

FWA NATCA
18th Jun 2002, 20:38
Ferris,

If the FAA doesn't get its' head out of the sand soon the US will be in desperate need of Air Traffic Controllers. Over 50% of us will be eligeble to retire by 2005.

Mike

Proceed As Cleared
18th Jun 2002, 21:23
Mike,

Does that mean that the FAA might be looking at hiring licenced expats?
And if so, would they assist them in getting the green card and would NATCA support direct entries into (usually highly paid) centres?

PAC

The Crimson Fruitbat
19th Jun 2002, 00:00
Gents and Ladies, a quick point....

I am an Aussie doing conversion in Canada (Aussie citizen, eligible for British passport, Canadian resident/landed immigrant).

The FAA requires you to be an American citizen not a "landed immigrant" (green card holder). This is the problem with getting employment there, get residency but sit on your hands for 3 years in the hope of getting citizenship but you are not practicing your skills which effects your employability (a catch 22).

Nats, NavCanada, Skyguide (Swiss), Air Services Australia etc just require you to be "landed immigrants". So with the FAA in mind, having all your Enroute/Tower/Terminal skills means SFA with a US green card you'll just be talking to pilots at Starbucks as you serve them as a waiter.

If the situation changed I am sure that the lads down south will be inundated with applications....here's hoping!

PH-UKU
19th Jun 2002, 00:36
Yeah don't hold your breath - the Goddams never were particularly good at relating to the real world beyond Florida, and with Dubya at the helm ...........

Sure the US needs valid ATCOs, I'd jump ship from the UK at the drop of a hat, but I ain't going through a pile fo crap to get there. You need us more than we need you. So word of advice to the FAA, if you 'free-marketeers' really belive in it, make us UK ATCOs a decent offer, and your staffing problems could be reduced by a few hundred.:cool:

Proceed As Cleared
19th Jun 2002, 05:09
Good ole Fruitbat,

The citizen issue with ATCOs in the US is common knowledge, nothing new.
My question re green card was concerning a possible hiring of expats in the future, abandoning the citizenship requirement (otherwise FAA couldn't hire any expats, could they?).

Besides, ASA requires you to be a permanent resident. And as we know, getting permanent residency in Oz can take a wee while.

Furthermore, Skyguide is not hiring expats anymore UFN. And those expats who are working there now didn't have to apply for permanent residency, they were sponsored by the company.

ferris
19th Jun 2002, 06:33
I think the 'age bulge' is universal. So is the 'head in the sand' approach being taken by managers everywhere. Combined with the way the traffic is growing...........

Cavemonster
19th Jun 2002, 09:53
I remember trying to understand the requirements for employment in the US a few years ago.

The FAA contact in London was a bit subtle for me and I just didn't understand how I could ever get in (on the citizenship stuff). In the end he got fed up with me and said 'look, go to a news stand, buy a New York Times, look in the classified ads and there you'll find some ads from ladies willing to help you'.

Cavemonster
19th Jun 2002, 09:54
I remember trying to understand the requirements for employment in the US a few years ago.

The FAA contact in London was a bit subtle for me and I just didn't understand how I could ever get in (on the citizenship stuff). In the end he got fed up with me and said 'look, go to a news stand, but a New York Times, look in the classified ads and there you'll find some ads from ladies willing to help you'.

Scott Voigt
20th Jun 2002, 02:31
Hi Y'all;

The FAA isn't going to change the citizenship requirement ( Unless of course we get privitized ). Some of the reasons being that of getting a security clearance. You have to remember that over here we work everyone, from civil to military and we work all the special mil ops as well as law enforcmenet ops. With that, everyone who works at an enroute centre must hold a secret clearance or better.

As to the age requirement, a lot of that comes from being able to have enough years to retire from the job. The way it is set up here, you must have 20 years on the boards ( control position ) and be age 50 to retire or have 25 years on the boards and then any age to retire. However, we are forced to retire at age 56 (there are a couple of exceptions, but you will not find many that can do it. )

Right now the Union has an agreement with the FAA that states, other than students from the MARCs school will enter the FAA as a controller at a lower level facility. The main reason that we have done this is to allow for the controllers at the lower facilities to have a chance to move up the busier and better paid facilities. In the past, the FAA would fill the openings at the moderately busy facilities with new hires since they didn't have to pay for the move. The new hire would have to pay for it. It's not a perfect system, but it was put into place to try to right an inequity.

If you have any other questions let me know... As to needing controllers. Yup, we need more, but the FAA isn't doing much in the way of hiring due to the lack of money right now. The agency had to pay out a LOT of money after 9-11 for security issues that were mandated by the politico's and weren't given any extra money to handle the costs. The rest is history. The agency is still trying to get additional funding from the congress, but as of this month, we are going to be completely out of overtime funds by the end of the month without a supplemental fund...

We are hoping to start doing some hiring next year, but we will see what the budget looks like. We are also expecting to lose one third of our work force in the next four to five years... That is going to be a lot of fun (NOT!)...

regards

Tacolote
20th Jun 2002, 06:39
Scott, Your reasons for needing the security clearance are valid, but equally valid where most of us currently work.

I suspect that this won't get anymore relaxed in the next few years... Then again it might with stuff like this, from a recent NATCA press release.

GAO REPORT BOLSTERS NATCA POSITION ON IMPENDING
CRITICAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER STAFFING SHORTAGE

WASHINGTON - The National Air Traffic Controllers Association reacted with
enthusiasm to a General Accounting Office report, released today, which
details what controllers nationwide already knew: Air traffic controller
staffing is reaching a desperate stage and is forecast to get worse.

"This report says it all," said John Carr, president of the controllers'
union. "We're going to lose one in every three controllers we have in the
next five years, and the Federal Aviation Administration's plans are
inadequate for making up for that shortfall."

The GAO report states that 5,000 controllers - exactly one-third of the
nations' total controller workforce - may leave by 2007, a figure the GAO
says is "more than two times higher than that for the past five years."

NATCA has pressed the FAA to address the shortfall, even taking the
unprecedented step of making the hiring goal one of its five promises to
House Appropriations Transportation Subcommittee Chairman Hal Rogers, R-Ky.,
during last summer's "Gang of Six" hearings held to address aviation delays.
Carr told Rogers he would ask for more controllers to deal with the
impending wave of controller retirements. Today, Carr remarked, "Consider
that one promise I'm keeping right now. I'm asking for massive air traffic
controller hiring to begin immediately."

NATCA and the FAA have a five-year agreement on staffing due to expire next
September, but Carr noted, "In light of the GAO report, I think it's prudent
to sit down and negotiate staffing numbers immediately." The report noted
that staffing at the busiest facilities could be impacted the worst, and
also said, "The FAA has not developed a comprehensive strategy to address
its impending controller needs."

Additionally, the report stated, "The FAA's hiring process does not take
into account the time necessary to train replacements." To which Carr
replied, "We've always said controllers are like runways - it takes three to
five years to make a good one. We need to hire a bubble of controllers that
will move our National Airspace System smoothly through the next decade
without the turbulence of short staffing and its numerous associated
problems."

The GAO report is available online at: www.gao.gov/new.items/d02591.pdf

Tacolote

The Crimson Fruitbat
21st Jun 2002, 22:56
This security vs citizenship stuff simply doesn't cut it. I am an Australian citizen working in Canada, am a permanent resident NOT a citizen since I am not qualified, I haven't been here long enough. Yet I have the required security clearance (as I did dunnunda) to play the role that civil ATC does around the world in Air Defence, Mil ops, covert ops, police ops.

http://cbc.ca/news/features/g8/ (http://)

The Aussies, Canucks, Germans, Swiss, Brits and Europeans states in general require their controllers to possess a security clearance, permanent residency but not necessarily citizenship. I am sure when the F111s went from Britain to bomb Libya in the 80s that the civ sectors new about them and I'll bet that LATCC didn't ban all those without a lion and unicorn on their passport from turning up to work.

In the information age where your photo, fingerprints and history since birth can flash around the worlds intelligence and police agencies and INTERPOL in a second, if you can't work out that someone is one of the "good guys" with good intentions/attitudes - your either extremely paranoid or your counter intelligence system should be reviewed.

If you keep your head in the sand long enough something will come along and bite you on the nose :D

I wonder why a mode of operation thats good enough for Europe, Australia and their northern (NORAD) neighbour doesn't wash with our tin pushing brethren in the 50 states? Any ideas/opinions?

Proceed As Cleared
22nd Jun 2002, 00:46
This citizenship requirement basically suggests that a non US citizen poses a higher security risk just because he isn't one.
Now, this is pretty discriminating as such.

Fruitbat is absolutely right when he says that what is good enough for Oz, NZ, EUR, CA, should be good enough for the US as well.

Skyguide, as you maybe know, will merge civil and military ATCs physically by 2007, which means that all the expats working for Skyguide will work in the same room with Air Force Controllers (imagine that:rolleyes: ).

On the other hand, after September 11th it is even more unlikely that the FAA will ever lift the citizenship requirement.
It looks like they'd rather be severly understaffed, with all the unpleasant consequences for employees and customers, than let an alien set foot in one of their facilities.

divingduck
22nd Jun 2002, 04:35
The fruitbat and others are correct....
Those of us working in the Middle East had to jump thru all sorts of hoops to get clearances...probably a bit higher than the average because we work EVERYTHING that runs thru our patch, just like everyone else in the non US world.
That includes just about everything that currently flies in the USAF, USN and Marine inventories, as well as Heads of States etc etc.
If it's good enough for us to work "Airforce 1" here, why should it be different to work it in the US??

Our clearances also allow us airside, not sure about the US ones, so when that VVIP arrives, we can go outside and watch if we feel like it, or, in our case a while ago, go out and have a wander around the Concorde.

Hey Fruitbat, who is the ex PH controller that just started up there? I used to be in PH a few years ago....

The Crimson Fruitbat
22nd Jun 2002, 04:45
.......yeah it could be called coming of age I suppose, albeit late for those stateside. Europe was torn apart by two wars in last 100 years and has been dealing with the evils of terrorism as a day-to-day occurence for the last 50 years (IRA, Basques, French nationalist groups, Baader-Meinhoff, Red Army etc etc). Until recently all this was all rather "foreign" to those stateside. Security clearances in the EU seem to mean more than "where" you were born and the fact that you can cross borders with employment without undue hinderance is probably a mark of their collective maturity.

check your mail desert duck.

ferris
22nd Jun 2002, 13:03
Personally I think there is an inordinate amount of 'wannabe' factor attached to the US. Would you really want to work there? You must be suckers for punishment! I think I am addicted to my 2 months annual leave now.

Is the barrier to foreigners partly contrived by the controllers to keep overtime levels etc.? Or, are the controllers begging for more staff, falling on deaf ears etc?

maus-warra
25th Jun 2002, 07:44
Ferris (or anybody else who knows)
Do you have broadband (ADSL) available in UAE?
How much does it cost?

ferris
25th Jun 2002, 15:20
Yes.
250dhs per month.

maus-warra
26th Jun 2002, 13:57
Thanks Ferris

FWA NATCA
26th Jun 2002, 16:22
Ferris,

Overtime, what's that, if a controller/s call in sick at my facility we work short because management claims that there is NO OVERTIME money in the budget.

I visited the Atlanta En-Route Center very recently and I was surprised at the number of empty scopes not being worked, and sectors that were combined because they didn't have the bodies to split off the combined sectors.

Staffing has been a problem for years, and we have been complaining for years, but management doesn't listen. But then again maybe President Bush did here us, because now he made it possible for our jobs to be sold to the lowest bidder.

Our slogan has always been that Safety Will Never Be Comprimised, the new corportate slogan will probably be, Profits will never be Comprimised.

Mike

The Crimson Fruitbat
26th Jun 2002, 16:42
G'day,

To cut to the chase, would you be happy having a band of foreigners (Aussie, Brit, Canadian, Japanese, whatever) sitting next to you working traffic in your center if they weren't US citizens, but were competent, had green cards and satisfactory security checks??

Weather is beaut in Canada, hows it down your way?

Scott Voigt
27th Jun 2002, 00:08
Fruitbat;

I don't think that any of really care that much where the controller comes from as long as they are qualified. We do have some not born citizens that are doing it here, but have gotten thier citizenship... <shrug> I wouldn't hold your breath about it ever happening though...

regards

Stomper
27th Jun 2002, 01:15
Crimson. How do you find Canada and which centre are you in? I was thinking of sending an application to them. If you don't mind me asking, what is your pay like? I have read some stuff on pay under another topic in here and you sound happy there with the pay. What about the cost of living?:)

Stomper
27th Jun 2002, 02:43
Ferris, Hi! I sent you an email. I am also interested in the conditions and lifetsyle you have over there. What can you tell me. I have more than enough experience to apply but not sure what Serco and Abu Dahbi would be like. Any help appreciated.

:rolleyes:

The Crimson Fruitbat
27th Jun 2002, 07:07
Scott

The problem is the citizenship. I could probably get a sponsored green card via relatives, but I would have to work out of the industry until I qualify for citizenship (3 years)...and who would hire a terminal controller thats hasn't been working for 3 years even if he is going to be working one of your "quiet" terminals say Seattle/Tacoma (400,000 moves pa)?

On a lighter note, I got the paper work today to open an account with a futures/commodities broker in FLA - holy moley I gave less info to get my last 2 security checks :eek: Are all financial institutions like that?

Also, if I am down your way on holidays, what are the chances of coming in and saying G'day having a look at you guys pushing the traffic and having a cold beer afterwards? I'll have my photo security pass and hell if you can entrust Airforce 1 to us for a few days we can't be all bad and when was the last time you had an Aussie-Canuck in the ARTCC? :D

Romper Stomper :D
Email me via my profile

ferris
27th Jun 2002, 09:20
Stomper- I haven't received your email. Try again. Happy to answer in depth.

I really think we are 'sitting pretty' as controllers (reference pay and conditions) in the next few years. Nobody anywhere seems to be taking the drastic action necessary to alleviate the looming shortage. I think a lot of managers are banking on automation, but there are a lot of intervening years.
The problem is going to be hanging on as things get busier and numbers dwindle/workload rises. The upwards pressure on pay will have a price.

The Crimson Fruitbat
27th Jun 2002, 09:36
Nobody anywhere seems to be taking the drastic action necessary to alleviate the looming shortage.

Canada, Germany, Eurocontrol and mainland European states in general are addressing this by hiring suitable people from overseas.

From the supply/demand perspective when (as in what year) do you reckon that Australia, Britain and the USA will reach "critical mass"???

Good time to be in the industry with 10+ years of controlling left. ;)

Scott Voigt
27th Jun 2002, 22:00
We do have some folks who work all the overtime that they can get their hands on... But a majority of us would much rather pass on the overtime and would also rather be able to use our vacation time when we want too... We DO need people and it is going to start getting MUCH worse in the next few years.

We just had a GAO (General Accounting Office) report go to Congress that outlined the issues coming up. They happened to mirror a report that the Executive Vice President for NATCA penned over a year ago about the coming retirements in US ATC. The FAA and Congress both were thinking that by looking at statistical data they could figure out what we were going to do. What they failed to figure out is that the statistics were all bogus...

In the last 20 years we have had very few people who could retire due to not very many old controllers. Those oldsters that were around were from the old school where you work a long time and then go out late in life... The new generation would be very happy indeed to go out as soon as they can get the finances in order and just play about as much as they can.

The last three years we have been under a new pay band, so even those who were eligeable to retire didn't due to waiting around to get what we call our high three. Our retirement is keyed to our highest three years of earnings and determined off of that. So why go until you get the full effect of that new high three...?

GAO has determined that the younger generation that is coming up on retirement age is going to go at the rate of every one of three controllers in the next five years or so.... The next 7 to 10 years over half of the work force is going to be gone... Add to that the strain of an already short work force who is going to be forced to work even shorter an then have to train replacements (something a lot of folks don't relish) is just going to add to the strain on do I go or not... Then at the busy places, you are only going to be able to train with overtime, so now you are making folks who are getting tired work six day weeks with only one day off a week. Something is going to give, and you are going to see more folks who were going to stay in for that extra percentage of retirement, just say the heck with it....

Oh, for those who are wanting to come over, we also have a hiring cut off of age 31. If you are older than that, the FAA won't hire you. (well there are some military folks that they have made an exception for, but they know that they aren't going to be able to retire...) Our mandatory separation age is 56...

regards

missy
28th Jun 2002, 12:27
Scott,

Your government talks about "free trade", why not a free trade in competent ATCs with security clearances? Oh yeah, I forgot, farm subsidies, tariffs on steel, I'm gonna hold my breath til your government opens the flood gates to allow competent ATCs with security clearances to control the US fleet.

Scott Voigt
28th Jun 2002, 21:51
I wouldn't hold my breath or anyone else's for waiting for the govt. to change the way that they do things. Well other than try to sell us off to the highest bidder....

Here's something else on our looming retirements......

Thousands of air traffic controllers will have to be hired in the U.S. over=
the next decade to replace retiring controllers, but the big unknown is at=
what rate they will depart.

A recent General Accounting Office report says that 5,000 controllers could=
leave in the next five years, twice the number that have left in the past
five. Moreover, the Congressional watchdog agency chides the FAA for not
having a comprehensive strategy in place to meet that need.

But the FAA says it has both a workforce strategy model and a 10-year
hiring plan, which it will update after the end of the fiscal year (Sept.
30), when it can count the actual losses and hires for the year. A
controller is eligible to retire after reaching age 50, if he's had 20
years' service directing aircraft. However, by federal law, anyone
controlling or directly supervising ATC operations must retire at age 56.
So the variable is the loss rate between ages 50 and 56.

Currently the agency has 15,000 specialists actively controlling aircraft,=
an additional 670 coordinating traffic flow, 1,900 front-line supervisors
and 2,370 in management or staff positions. Why the predicted exodus?
Partly it's the aging of controllers who were hired following the 1981
firing of thousands who participated in a nationwide strike. As a result,
the average age of an FAA controller was 43 on June 30, 2001.

The report says that 2,500 current controllers were eligible to retire as
of Sept. 30, 2001, and that nearly 14,000 (or 70%) will become eligible by=
the end of fiscal year 2011. The GAO's controller attrition model predicts=
600-800 controllers retiring in each of the next 10 years. While the FAA
agrees that could happen, it doubts the loss rate will be that high in the=
early years. In addition to the difficulty predicting retirements, the
agency has one dilemma totally beyond its control. While it can plan far
into the future, it won't know how much money is available to hire and
train new controllers until Congress appropriates the funds.

The agency has long planned an operational evaluation of a new candidate
screening exam that could make hiring more efficient, but funding to
continue that research may not be available either. From the time a
prospective controller is hired until fully qualified takes almost five
years. Most candidates with no prior experience come from one of 14
colleges and universities that offer specific controller education. Once
hired, they attend a 12-week training program at the FAA's academy in
Oklahoma City, followed by 2-4 years' on-the-job training at field
facilities. Candidates with prior experience come mostly from the Defense
Dept.

ADDING TO THE CHALLENGE, more controllers will be needed to cope with the
growth in air traffic. That increase has been codified in the 1998 contract=
with NATCA (National Air Traffic Controllers Assn.), the union representing=
air traffic control specialists. It will grow from 15,300 in Fiscal 2002 to=
16,139 in 2005, and 17,309 by the end of 2010.

The GAO surveyed 2,100 controllers to learn of their retirement plans. From=
1,591 usable responses and its models, the GAO predicts that 1,300
controllers and 221 supervisors will leave in what it expects to be the
peak retirement year, 2007.

canberra
17th Jul 2002, 17:04
on the subject of a security clearance of secret or better for work in us atc, this means that military controllers are laughing as they have this!

Scott Voigt
17th Jul 2002, 22:01
Canaberra;

Ah but do the UK military folks have a US Secret clearance <G>? If the FAA and FBI haven't blessed it, it doesn't exist as far as they are concerned...

regards

Fox3snapshot
21st Jul 2002, 04:51
Secret Shmeecret!!! The whole thing is academic really!! Even with a secret clearance as a miltary controller you are still out of the loop. I have seen more here in the middle east with a "local" security clearance than any military controller in US or UK will in a decade (or I did as a military controller for that matter!!), the U2 and Global Hawk even have to declare their presence to us on a 6 hourly basis....and who really cares, we don't have anything cruising at FL640!!!!!!!

Its a Union thing.....they don't want us! Us being the rest of the real world, and besides it will take a lot to undo all of the good training we have had to meet "international" standards!

:o

Aus ATC
21st Jul 2002, 09:30
Ferris,

I trust things are well in the UAE. One of our folk from BN is heading for your sunnier!! climes. Leaving the industrial nightmare!! that is Airservices. Be kind to him!!

Aus.

ferris
21st Jul 2002, 13:07
Have heard some reinforcements are arriving from Oz to counter the growing Sth African menace;) Hoorah!

Still hot and happy here.

Doha, Qatar are advertising for twr and app. (6)

Scott Voigt
22nd Jul 2002, 04:59
Fox3;

Well sir, you don't have a clue as to what you are speaking about when you say it is a UNION thing... Here, we don't care where we get our replacments from. All we care about is that they can separate aircraft. The govt. makes up all the rules about hiring. We have NO input at all into it... We want more air traffic controllers and we want them NOW!

regards

Kuntrol_Freek
22nd Jul 2002, 10:50
I know that Doha is the jockstrap of the ME, but a job is a job. Where abouts are they advertising? - I had a quick look at FI but nothing there.

Thanks in advance.

KF

Kuntrol_Freek
24th Jul 2002, 09:27
Disregard my last, I found it in a back issue of FI, tho I don't know why it wasn't on their web site.

ps What do you know about working/living in Doha?

Red Dragon
24th Jul 2002, 10:46
Kontrol Freek,

I too have had the same problem, FI don`t seem to post ALL the ads on their website. No idea why. In fact, why bother at all if this is to be the case.:mad: :mad:

ferris
24th Jul 2002, 11:43
Flight- I just read the physical copy at work, so don't know about the internet version. It's a bit hard to miss the vacancies, as some wag has taken to enlarging them on the photocopier and putting them on the notice boards:p

RE: Doha. Haven't been there, but apparently the place is quite good. I will see what I can find out about working there.

Kuntrol_Freek
25th Jul 2002, 04:12
...Shukran Ahui...I look forward to hearing anything you can find out.

Stomper
25th Jul 2002, 09:16
Doha are offering US$3300 a month with free accommodation and electricity/water. Not as good as SERCO in Abu Dahbi or Dubai. I was offered a position at Abu Dahbi but unfortunately had to paass-up on it due to the early start date. I enquired about Doha to see what they offered and they ended up offering me a job. Wish I could get that kind of luck more often.

:D :D :D

divingduck
25th Jul 2002, 09:44
Hey Aus ATC...who is the lucky chap travelling to the ab dab side of the 'pit??

I have it on good authority that Doha is a top place for partiesand socializing etc etc, good on the sporting front too.

Wouldn't trade places there for anything though!!:D

I agree with Ferris....more of you Aussies are required in the Gulf to defend our way of life against the yarpie menace:p

Fox3snapshot
25th Jul 2002, 10:47
The Yarpie menace????.......please explain????

:( :confused:

Kuntrol_Freek
25th Jul 2002, 13:58
..it's quite simple;
Yarpie - Seth Effrican
Menace - a threat, annoying person

...and if you have to ask why they are called "Yarpies" then you have obviously never spoken to one :)

...how much is SERCo paying, approximately?

divingduck
25th Jul 2002, 18:05
Fox3....****rol freek has it perfectly....

Vercingetorix
27th Jul 2002, 09:04
Only reason you guys bleat about the USA is because it is the only place to be. If you wern't envious you wouldn't talk about. Stay in Canada, stay in Oz and make the world a happier place.
Dos cervezas, por favor

ferris
27th Jul 2002, 10:47
My interest in the USA is purely selfish.
There is no way I would work there- 2 weeks ann leave??:eek: :eek: :eek:
It's just that if they opened their doors, lots of others would go, thereby increasing my bargaining power.:D :p :cool: everywhere else!!

Late Landing
28th Jul 2002, 03:38
ferris
Obviously you've been in the sands too long. The only way your bargaining power would increase is for the supply of ATCOs willing to work in the ME to dry up. However as long as ATNS are training ATCOs there will be an abundant supply willing to work for what they consider a good deal, and the rest of us find barely acceptable. Also talk is cheap at negotiating tables - how many of your ex-collegues would actually take the plunge and leave their home country? My experience shows that when push comes to shove talk is cheap.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that is the way things seem to be; rightly or wrongly.

28th Jul 2002, 18:16
Hey divingduck!
Its called " Japies" and the only menace I know about is your mother !!!

divingduck
29th Jul 2002, 18:04
126.7.....only you and your "type" seem to care how it's spelled. The rest of the civilized world care how it sounds....

there's nothing like good, clever, witty repartee....and unfortunately what you posted was nothing like good, clever, witty repartee.:rolleyes:

cheers

Fox3snapshot
30th Jul 2002, 00:01
Traffic Magnet...

It just so happens that there is a war already raging from here in the middle east, and if 2 US carrier groups, a Pomm carrier group, a French carrier group and until recently based on ME soil a Sqn of B1's and on going assets including Global Hawk, U2's, C135's KC135's, AC130's, EC130's, C130's, P3's, EP3's blah de blah, isn't enough I am not sure what is, another tickle up on Iraq is no big deal....the mud movers (sand in this case!!) and every other complemenatry military asset known to man are doing business from here up the Afghan regions so SNAFU really!

The traffic through this region has doubled and some since September 11 due to military ops....they even poke down towards Somalia from here. All that will happen if they go and tap Iraq is that they will go west instead of east! Apart from the usual US and Brit arsenal permanantly based in Saudi and Kuwait; Qatar, Bahrain, UAE and Oman are also currently supporting both strategic and tactical air and ground components of the US and UK.

See my post on the Global Hawk crash in "Military Aircrew" it will fill you in on more of the safety and traffic issues we face daily here.

:o

CEP
11th Aug 2002, 12:33
Greetings, al julle BLIKSEMS!!!!!

THere will be another seven FAJS ACC ATCO's in Ab Dab by the end of the year. Organise our drinking licenses so long!

Pushin_Tin
13th Aug 2002, 22:34
Cep.

What salary is on offer??

Are they En Route only or TMA jobs??

Ta

CEP
15th Aug 2002, 00:30
Greetings

Pushin_Tin

I don't know the exact amount, but I think it's close to USD3500 a month. Calculate that at present ZAR10.50=USD1, no tax, housing incentives,etc and for us Japies it becomes very rosy. My C.V. is going to be activated very soon.

For the second part of your question, Ab Dab is only enroute, the terminal radar is worked from Dubai.

As for the rest of you sand fleas who were waiting to see what this circus would offer as a retention package, you can stop laughing up your sleeves and do it openly now :p All of us are hopping:mad: Endowment policy, projected growth 8% after 5 years, maybe R200 000. Plus the company gets a tax break.

Sorry for them, where's my drinking licence?

CEP
15th Aug 2002, 00:33
Greetings!

I know how to get all you guys out of the sand and back to Joburg!!!!!!

We'll send Fat man and his puppet Dixie to the M.E!!

Standard_Departure
16th Aug 2002, 12:18
Hello all,

For the record, CEP said;
For the second part of your question, Ab Dab is only enroute, the terminal radar is worked from Dubai

This is not technically correct, the facts are:

Abu Dhabi - 2 (geographically) seperate units,

Approach (Terminal), at the airport, about 30km from the city.
Area (En-route). The En-route centre is inside the city limits.

Dubai - Approach, Terminal Radar unit, in the city.

Al Ain - Approach unit (no radar yet)

Sharjah - Tower only

Fujairah - Terminal Radar

Ras al Kaimah - Terminal Radar

Best Regards
SID

EuroATC
17th Aug 2002, 15:18
7 now going to Abu Dhabi? Well they wanted me but there is no way I can live in those apartments. You south africans must be pretty hard up to live in those conditions. Go to Dubai, at least you get a villa there. Problem in abu dhabi is that if all the south africans decide to take off there won't be anyone left lol