PDA

View Full Version : A320 one engine taxi.

MD83FO
25th Aug 2015, 20:10
Hello, could someone please tell me what the task sharing looks like on the one engine taxi procedure.
No one here seems to know who does what.
I know that supplementary procedures are PM read and do, but the ones related to engine start are PF.

Amadis of Gaul
25th Aug 2015, 20:30
"Noone here seems to know who does what"...

Yikes.

ShotOne
25th Aug 2015, 20:43
In our company, MD83, its PM read and do with PF confirmation before shutting engine down.

tubby linton
25th Aug 2015, 21:45
Are you asking about OETA? it is fairly straight forward. Complete the after landing checklist , wait 3 mins for engine cooldown and then PM turns Engine Master2 off (Confirmation required) and Yellow elec HYD pump on

Amadis of Gaul
25th Aug 2015, 22:36
'Round these parts it's pump first, engine second, but carry on...

tubby linton
25th Aug 2015, 22:43
Our company advises not to have the EDP and the elec pump both running at the same time.

Black Pudding
25th Aug 2015, 22:53
Interesting question

My concerns is where does it say 3 mins after cool down ?

I know it says Not less than 3 min after high thrust operations, and when taxiing in a straight line.

In our FCTM, it says idle reverse is not considered high thrust, so when would you say 3 mins starts. After touch down if idle reverse was used.

Where else does this 3 minutes figure appear.

OPEN DES
26th Aug 2015, 00:01
3 min after n1 less than 45% for cfm56

MD83FO
26th Aug 2015, 01:57
Apologies, I meant to specify one engine taxi out, where several switches are actioned.

Rick777
26th Aug 2015, 02:23
Where I came from the captain drives the bus on the ground and FO does everything else. We shut it down soon after clearing t he runway because flying final isn't a high thrust situation if you do it right.

MD83FO
26th Aug 2015, 12:19
It is on the green operating procedures, and is read before the first engine is started, it is the PF who starts the first engine, but who executes the rest of the items before the parking brake is released, ignition normal, apu bleed off, crossbleed open, yellow electric pump on etc..

Fursty Ferret
26th Aug 2015, 12:50
PF starts first engine, sets mode selector to normal and turns APU bleed off. PM then switches yellow electric pump on and completes the after start flow.

ENG 2 start is supplementary procedure by PM with confirmation ONLY required for the engine master switch. PF should be concentrating entirely on driving the aircraft. Even if PM gets the procedure entirely wrong they won't harm anyone or damage anything provided they don't operate a guarded switch.

After engine 2 start normal procedures resume. Not difficult...

FlightDetent
26th Aug 2015, 13:23
'Round these parts it's pump first, engine second, but carry on...

Since you asked so nicely:
http://i62.tinypic.com/ws34b5.png

cheers,
FD.

Amadis of Gaul
26th Aug 2015, 17:08
Much appreciated. That's not our procedure.

FlightDetent
26th Aug 2015, 20:00
Do you have an idea, why do your "parts" think differently than Airbus?

IIRC about 5 years ago the FCOM changed to what you say, then back again after some time. I cannot remember neither of the explanations, if I ever had seen them.

regards,
FD.

Amadis of Gaul
26th Aug 2015, 21:37
No idea, I just do as they tell me to. I noticed the part from the FCOM you quote uses the words "...the crew MAY use the following procedure..." rather than MUST, so I guess that leaves operators some freedom to choose.

Gauges and Dials
26th Aug 2015, 22:16
APU ................................................ START
DOG............... ................................ AWAKE
ENG 2.............................................. SHUT DOWN
DOG................................................ BARK (push 5x)
DOG................................................ ASLEEP

Amadis of Gaul
26th Aug 2015, 22:39
APU ................................................ START
DOG............... ................................ AWAKE
ENG 2.............................................. SHUT DOWN
DOG................................................ BARK (push 5x)
DOG................................................ ASLEEP

Ain't THAT the truth! That's why I wait until engine one gets below 8% N2 at the gate before turning the Yellow electric pump off.

FlightDetent
27th Aug 2015, 06:50
... I wait until engine one gets below 8% N2 at the gate before turning the Yellow electric pump off.
Same here, like they say "to avoid running the PTU".

FD.

Cough
27th Aug 2015, 07:11
I was told that we shut down first to stop the yellow pump having an electrical transit on the motor every time.

Citation2
27th Aug 2015, 10:41
No need to wait until engine one spool down at the gate before switching off the Y ELec pump. PTU is inhibited with parking brake set.

Amadis of Gaul
27th Aug 2015, 12:11
No need to wait until engine one spool down at the gate before switching off the Y ELec pump. PTU is inhibited with parking brake set.

Indeed. Most Captains take the PB off after the chock signal, though. Hence, the commonplace "what's that noise?"

Gryphon
27th Aug 2015, 17:26

if both engines master OFF (or both ON, but not the case), PTU Auto and diff press >500 psi, it will run independently of the park brake.

Stone Cold II
27th Aug 2015, 17:38
Runs every time I come onto stand after doing single engine taxi once engine one shut down and the parking brake is set.

Citation2
28th Aug 2015, 10:46
PTU will run during engine 1 shutdown , and not when parking brake is set with Y ELEC pump OFF .

vilas
28th Aug 2015, 11:38
Citation2
Any reference for parking brake and PTU connection? Because during ENG1 start it comes on as a test.

Gryphon
28th Aug 2015, 12:26
PTU will run during engine 1 shutdown

Right, cause both engine master OFF (as long as diff HYD press > 500 psi)

and not when parking brake is set with Y ELEC pump OFF .

Right again, because 1 engine master ON, the other OFF and Park brake ON and Nose wheel steering not in towing position :)

Gryphon
28th Aug 2015, 12:34
Any reference for parking brake and PTU connection? Because during ENG1 start it comes on as a test.

Yes, because both engines master ON (as long as diff HYD press > 500 psi and PTU sw in auto)

FCOM DSC-29-10-20 PTU (logic)

:ok:

vilas
28th Aug 2015, 13:02
Gryphon
Thanks.

flightplan
29th Aug 2015, 19:09
And a cant understand what are the difficulties in PTU running for several seconds? Is it so important to avoid it?