PDA

View Full Version : Citations

megan
23rd Aug 2015, 03:25
The London Gazette, from what I can find, just lists the rank, name and award. Is there anywhere one can find the citation attached to the award ie what deed is the award for?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Can
23rd Aug 2015, 07:04
There's a MOD 25yr disclosure policy in most cases. You can't even get your own citation when you receive an award (I know this from personal experience). I'm not sure why? One suggestion was they don't want people using them as templates to write others. Of course some are sensitive for one reason or another and can't be released. Others get lots of publicity and are put out immediately and quite rightly so.

Mogwi
23rd Aug 2015, 08:25
LG published mine in full in '82

charliegolf
23rd Aug 2015, 08:27
LG published mine in full in '82

As I recall, the circumstances were rather public!:ok:

CG

Tankertrashnav
23rd Aug 2015, 09:12
megan - what is the award in question, and what is the date? Jerry Can is only partially right. For example, the London Gazette of 8th October 1982 listed all awards for the Falklands War and printed citations in full. Most awards for Northern Ireland on the other hand were announced without citation.

Going further back, WW2 awards are usually published but I had a DSM once, and other than the fact it was for the ill-advised Norway campaign in 1940 there was no published citation. Going back even further, due to weight of numbers Military Medal awards in WW1 were invariably listed without the citation.

(Mogwi - I suspect you are in the LG I referred to ;))