PDA

View Full Version : Which role should I do?

RG56
19th Aug 2015, 17:40
I have just completed my aptitude test and they have offered me more roles because I achieved a higher mark, but I don't know Which role I should go for aircraft tech(mechanical),Aircraft tech(Avionics),weapons tech,vehicle and mechanical equipment tech,electrician,general tech workshop and ICT technician.I originally only applied for weapons tech but now that I've been offered these roles which one would be a better one.

Cornish Jack
19th Aug 2015, 18:13
:ugh: Whichever one offers additional instruction in use of written English. Sigh:{:{

Avtur
19th Aug 2015, 18:24
Either aircraft tech would get my vote. I guess it also depends whether you are mechanically minded or prefer worrying about where electrons and ones and zeros are going. Either role would obviously make you very employable in the civil aviation world post service. I would suggest doing some research (other than asking opinions on this forum) in order to make an informed decision.

downsizer
19th Aug 2015, 18:27
Depends how quick you want to get in as well. Go ICT or AMM(AV) and you'll be in pronto.

Fonsini
19th Aug 2015, 18:29
Something that you can easily leverage into a good career in your post-RAF life.

I would probably look closely at being a jet engine technician - job security for life. Weapons technician not so much.

downsizer
19th Aug 2015, 18:33
Weapons technician not so much.

Disagree. Know plenty of knuckle draggers who extrapolated RAF Weapons engineering into many other diverse civilian engineering disciplines. Indeed many found it advantageous to not be encumbered with the licensing requirements for civvy strasse that the AV and Mech trades have.

RG56
19th Aug 2015, 20:29
It's the internet calm Down jack

Willard Whyte
19th Aug 2015, 20:39
RG, the problem is that 'poor English' is harder to read than well constructed prose.

Expect, therefore, less help if you can't be bothered to write something that's easy, as in 'pleasurable to the eye and mind', to read. Even if it might make sense.

taxydual
19th Aug 2015, 20:44
RG56

A suggestion. Don't cheek your elders. 99% of the posters on this forum have been there and done that. They've got experience.

The advice they give is well intentioned and deserves thought. Just have a look at your original post. Ask yourself, does it make good English? Does it puncuate well? Does it put you in a good light?

OK, it's the Internet, but it's the Royal Air Force you want to join and the Royal Air Force isn't the Internet.

Hope you make your mind up soon and do well. Don't cheek your elders (until you make rank).

Rgds

mopardave
19th Aug 2015, 22:05
RG56.....come on mate. Taxydual is quite right. I don't want to be a ball buster but if my son wrote something like that, I'd be bloody annoyed. Make the effort eh? What difference does it make that "it's the internet?" That remark was off side. :ugh:

NutLoose
19th Aug 2015, 23:11
I would either go avionics or mechanical, they will open far more doors post service career, as said it depends really if you see yourself as more electronically minded than mechanically, that said a lot of the mechanical trade now contains electrical and electronics. Civilian wise avionics trades tend to be at a premium these days. I am an ex RAF mechanical engineer who studied and put myself through my licences, (start them in the services if you see your future out of the RAF continuing your future trade) but to be honest the service engineering background will stand you in good stead whatever you do.
The other one on that list to look at is the ICT Technician as that to crosses over to a well paid civilian job.

RG56
20th Aug 2015, 15:18
Thanks for the reply nutloose I think I'm gonna apply for avionics :O

Pontius Navigator
20th Aug 2015, 15:23
RG, that'll be a fairy then :)

camelspyyder
20th Aug 2015, 16:44
RG.

Don't worry, the Service isn't entirely made up of pedants and language police.

The sort of jobs you wish to do are very kinaesthetic, so doing it will be more important than writing about it.

Good luck.

Tashengurt
20th Aug 2015, 17:20
I can only assume SE Fitter must be closed?!

Fg Off Bloggs
20th Aug 2015, 17:49
But of course the other very important point is that improper use of English can be seen as slap dash and the one thing that the RAF does not tolerate, and certainly not from its aircraft technicians, is a slap dash approach!

Worth thinking about, RG56, as you process your application further!

Good luck

Bloggs:ok:

t7a
20th Aug 2015, 17:55
Camelspyder - Very impressive response. Talking about pedants and language police, you must have an 'ology to know what kinaesthetic means!

t7a
20th Aug 2015, 17:57
Isn't it something to do with dive angles Bloggs?

ian16th
20th Aug 2015, 20:40
RG, that'll be a fairy then :)Yes! You won't get as dirty as the Sooties and it will help if you can play a decent game of Bridge :ok:

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/ian16th/sparks%20badge.jpg

Courtney Mil
20th Aug 2015, 21:36
RG,

Regarding good English, the "pedants" here aren't the issue. The issue, whether you like it or not, will be how poor English might be viewed by those that could influence your career.

Don't think for a minute that plenty of people won't notice incorrect grammar or spelling; when they do, it will affect their impression of you. Most people won't notice good grammar, but they will understand your meaning more easily, making you a more effective communicator.

Good luck with your career. Do well and be happy.

RG56
20th Aug 2015, 21:57
I'm just saying I only used short cuts because this is the internet, I'm not going to go down to cosford and start writing like this.:mad::ugh:

Courtney Mil
20th Aug 2015, 22:12
RG, the banging the head against a brick wall and the "censored" icons are just plain rude when people here are offering their advice to you.

Next time make your own mind up instead.

RG56
20th Aug 2015, 22:22
I'm thankful for the advice they gave me, but the emoji's were for all the people that thought I was gonna go into the raf writing like that.

Tashengurt
20th Aug 2015, 22:34
Sometimes I'm glad Internet forums weren't around when I was an uncouth youth. Would have got myself into so much trouble!

Al R
20th Aug 2015, 22:43
Of course, there's always the Regiment too? After all, in 15 minutes, it's Fireguard Friday. :suspect:

O-P
20th Aug 2015, 22:48
CM, Et all,

I here what you're saying, but!

I had a long chat with an (admittedly American), English teacher this weekend, and they no-longer (in 'Murica), teach spelling, grammar or syntax.

When I asked her, "Why"? She replied, "The internet does that for you now".

It's a valid point, to which I had no answer.

I, as an individual, can't get all bent out of shape by spelling, commas and all the rest.

In the new age of text language, the rules will be torn up. Get used to it. I'm sick off the English pedants that attempt to be-little those that don't obey their rules. If you understand the message, who cares! I'm also fairly sure that I can make those pedants look like utter fools if they engage me on a topic that doesn't involve English.

I'll bang my head on the OP's behalf, the pedants can just **** off!

Avionker
20th Aug 2015, 22:51
RG56

As an aircraft technician a very important and safety critical part of the job, is the ability to communicate clearly and accurately, both verbally and in writing.

Any chance you have to practice your communication skills is worth taking, even if it results in criticism.

By the way I would suggest that Avionics is the trade to go for, but I maybe slightly biased....

radar101
21st Aug 2015, 06:40
In the new age of text language, the rules will be torn up. Get used to it. I'm sick off the English pedants that attempt to be-little those that don't obey their rules. If you understand the message, who cares! I'm also fairly sure that I can make those pedants look like utter fools if they engage me on a topic that doesn't involve English.

What the "pedant" posters were trying to tell the OP was that, as things stand, the movers and shakers in his chosen career path are, like me, probably at the pedantic end of the spectrum.

Given 2 applicants with the same qualifications I used to favour the one with decent grammar and spelling.

Jayand
21st Aug 2015, 06:59
FFS! Are you boys for real?
RG ignore all the negative comments from the dinosaurs about your post.
Do what you think you will enjoy the most, congratulations on getting a good result and having these options.
Avionics is a fine choice and you will have good career options post service if that is a route you eventually choose.

camelspyyder
21st Aug 2015, 08:19
RG, my kids are about your age and I admit I was incredulous when I found that their teachers did not correct spelling in any written work. The more mature posters on here possibly do not realise exactly how the 3 R's are now taught in modern Britain.

All the best with your application.

Mach Two
21st Aug 2015, 08:38
Just an observation. I doesn't look to me like anyone is being negative or criticising and there is no sign at all of anyone having a go. All I see is a lot of very good advice about possible choices and some wise counsel about the use of English. The latter isn't criticism, just wise words offered in a helpful way and prompted by a couple of posts that need reading twice to understand fully.

Perhaps it's worth understanding that RG states he doesn't intend to write like that outside of the Internet and those that offered comment on it were only being helpful to someone that came here asking for advice.

Perhaps the original post is a good example of why it's worth writing in English to avoid confusion and giving the wrong impression to people. Even on the Internet.

Off to bed now.

Biggus
21st Aug 2015, 08:49
It's not about the quality of the English as such - it's about the military looking to recruit people who set and maintain their own high standards, who attempt their very best at everything they do, as opposed to only doing their best when they're being assessed, when they think it's important, etc.

An attitude of, "it's only the internet", and "I'll do better when it matters", etc, which is often seen on here from many of the younger generation, reflects on the personal standards of the individual - like it or not.

Then again - maybe I'm a dinosaur. Maybe I'm still thinking about the attitude of the military I joined, as opposed to the military of today?

Standing by for incoming...

BEagle
21st Aug 2015, 08:53
Occasionally I assist in sifting applications for certain scholarships. The applicants are required to complete the application form in their own handwriting and to use no more than the specified number of words for a couple of short essays.

It is surprising to note the generally poor standards we receive. Moreover, some applicants do not even provide the appropriate answers to the questions posed. For example, where exam grades are required to be stated, some applicants don't bother to do so.

Interestingly, it is often those for whom English is not their first language who produce the best-written applications. Perhaps that's indicative of the general standard of basic education in our schools these days? But what hope is there when even some teachers refer to the 3 Rs using the grocer's apostrophe.....

Pontius Navigator
21st Aug 2015, 10:11
25 years ago I corrected a Geography mistress who had written that the sun rose in the west.

She responded that she knew that it wad east and had made a mistake.

I guess the logical conclusion is that any wrong answer is right if the pupil knew it was write and writ it wrong. (Sic)

Avtur
21st Aug 2015, 12:48
I was shocked (and dismayed) when a friend informed me that children in this part of Canada were no longer taught how to "write" (joined-up as I call it), but are now only required to print (in capitals).

Fluffy Bunny
21st Aug 2015, 13:15
My daughter was being taught to spell phonetically at school.
In consultation with her teacher that's been binned for her, along with the stupid fluffy "homework" set by the school. Instead she's being taught proper spelling and punctuation.

OneFifty
21st Aug 2015, 16:58
RG56

During your first visit to Halton, on your Pre-Recruit Training Course, you'll be required to submit a hand written piece which will be used, amongst other things, to assess your writing and communication skills. Perhaps getting into the habit could be useful. Adittionally, during your time at RTS, you'll have to learn to live by the four RAF core values: Respect, Integrity, Service before Self and Excellence. These four core values apply to evey single aspect of RAF life. I would opine that in some of the replies you have made on this thread, towards people who for all you know are serving members, some maybe in the training and/or the selection business, would not follow these values. People here are trying to help you, remember you asked for their advice. Of couse, I know you have not been given instruction in these values yet but now you are aware, why not try putting them into practice.

You also need to understand perceptions and how you come accross to people.

Please don't wait until 'you go down to Cosford' before you decide to communicate properly, if not done before that, you may not get there.

Good luck in whichever trade you decide upon.

camelspyyder
21st Aug 2015, 17:06
RG have you tried e-goat?

You may find a more sympathetic (and current) audience there.

RG56
21st Aug 2015, 17:28
To be honest, I'm sorry I asked for advice on this thread.:ugh:

RG56
21st Aug 2015, 17:29
Thanks to the people that actually gave me advice on what role I should do.:D

21st Aug 2015, 17:37
Life after service if you stay in aircraft engineering will require both the mechanical and avionic skills. Unfortunatly service experiance no longer counts unless you work on a civilian equivilent. In my day there were VC10 TRISTAR to name two

Hangarshuffle
21st Aug 2015, 20:51
I'm smelling a wind up merchant. Also, why are you using the name of a type of weapon as a name? A hand-gun? Why that?
My name is a link to my past. Why yours?

Pontius Navigator
21st Aug 2015, 20:58
Perception

SARF
21st Aug 2015, 21:11
Across.....

RG56
21st Aug 2015, 21:28
RG=My initials and 56 is my lucky number:ok:

Kitbag
21st Aug 2015, 21:34
RG56, if you are really trying to get into aircraft maintenance good luck to you.
There have been several comments regardinfg pedantry on here, it is perhaps worth remembering that your signature, certifying maintenance on an aircraft carries very real, and lasting legal responsibilities. It is not uncommon, in the event of an accident or incident, that your work will be scrutinised closely. Your interpretation and understanding of the procedures you have certified against will be questioned to the nth degree.
If you don't understand what you are signing for, you are leaving yourself exposed. What many of the old & bold on here are seeing is a a slapdash, uncaring young chap.
If they are operators of an aircraft could you blame them for being a bit nervous of your attitude?
If they are techies like me, then you would be subject to a lot of supervision because I could have no confidence in either your attitude, nor aptitude. If I have to give you a lot of supervision, you are a burden, and thus a waste of oxygen.

Kitbag
21st Aug 2015, 21:38
In answer to your original question, I would suggest ICT rather than aircraft, there is very little that is accepted by the licensing authorities these days unless you get to some bits of BZN or WAD.

RG56
21st Aug 2015, 21:42
"and thus a waste of oxygen" and you thought it was bad that I told someone to calm down :ugh:

OneFifty
21st Aug 2015, 21:53
Again, people are trying to HELP you! Learn to accept constructive criticism. I would suggest that with your current display of attitude, you will struggle during basic training. And as you have now identified yourself, the instructors may well keep an eye out for your arrival!

O-P
21st Aug 2015, 22:28
150/Kitbag,

Get over yourselves! Can't you remember being teenagers? You've both made a number of derogatory, wide ranging and speculative assumptions based on a few lines of internet script.

How would you like me to analysis your characters?

Kitbag
21st Aug 2015, 22:35
O-P, feel free.

Yes I do remember being a teenager, I worked damn hard to get the apprenticeship I wanted.

mopardave
21st Aug 2015, 23:10
Seriously, I'm struggling to see how anyone can condone the sloppy use of the English language/grammar/punctuation, in a safety critical occupation?

Hmmmmm?

O-P
22nd Aug 2015, 02:46
Kitbag,

So did I. 140 Entry at Halton. I will...you might not like it!

Mopar,

My staff work at 250' and 750kts, was ****e, it didn't get a lot better once I landed. Why, FFS is written English so important?

O-P
22nd Aug 2015, 03:04
Kit bag,

You still have time to correct your spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors...Oh, you don't "regarfing" I'll get back to the others later. You wanted, perfection , live with you failings.

Jayand
22nd Aug 2015, 07:13
RG, am honestly at a loss at some of the responses you have received after an honest and genuine request for advice.
Am sure you will do just fine, ingore all the BS posts on here about attitude, grammar etc.
Keep your head down, work hard, pass your training, take as much as you can from the service, adventure training, education, life experiences, lifelong friends etc and enjoy what is hopefully a long and happy career.
Good luck.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Aug 2015, 07:39
No, don't ignore the advice about grammar. You might appear to have a slapdash approach to detail but not to worry. It will be a long time before it is your neck in the line, plenty of time to sharpen up.

mopardave
22nd Aug 2015, 08:38
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree won't we? Call me old fashioned but surely clarity when report writing, is a good thing? This young man has had well intentioned advice from people with a wealth of experience.....people who've been there, done that and got the T shirt. I've been surprised by his reaction to it. Must be me, but I wouldn't be getting smart with people who are in a position to offer the lad some solid advice.

In truth, I didn't actually understand the point you were making in the first sentence of your last post.

MD

Kitbag
22nd Aug 2015, 08:40
Kit bag,

You still have time to correct your spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors...Oh, you don't "regarfing" I'll get back to the others later. You wanted, perfection , live with you failings.

I did indeed misspell 'regarding'. My fault, just goes to show those who live in glass houses etc. But you managed to misspell my misspelling, that must have been deliberate on your part.
I finished my apprenticeship before you started yours.

Biggus
22nd Aug 2015, 08:45
Why, FFS is written English so important?

As just one example:

If your written English was very poor presumably any subordinates who were unfortunate enough to have had their annual report written by you were disadvantaged in the quest for promotion?

As a junior officer (aircrew) at one stage I was writing 50+ annual reports a year, as either 1st RO or 2nd RO (where the 1st RO was a SNCO), on junior ranks and civil servants. I was very aware that what I wrote, and how well I wrote it, could have profound impacts on their careers, and put considerable time and effort into it. Of course, I could have said, "sod that...I'm aircrew, this isn't what I'm paid to do, staff work doesn't matter, I should be flying".....

Jayand
22nd Aug 2015, 12:35
There was me thinking the lad was wanting to join up as an aircraft techie, maybe I missed the bit about him applying to the BBC as journalist!
Give him a break, I've seen a lot worse who went on to do just fine.
Sanctimonious old :mad:s.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Aug 2015, 15:24
Biggus, not 50 but I had to rewrite a 1st ROs report as he, a SNCO could not write.

ian16th
22nd Aug 2015, 17:17
a SNCO could not write.

Whatever happened to the RAF Education Test Part I and Part II?

You had to have Part II to be eligible for promotion to Sgt.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Aug 2015, 18:26
Ian, passing an exam and being wordsmith are different things.

ian16th
22nd Aug 2015, 18:55
Ian, passing an exam and being wordsmith are different things. True, but there are minimum standards.

Slow Biker
22nd Aug 2015, 19:29
Poor RG56 has had a bit of a hammering here which a quick proof read might have avoided. But most of the criticism is valid. To consider sloppy writing is ok for the internet is insulting to the reader, especially when asking for advice. My writing is far from perfect, but I try. How I envy the many posters on Prune who write with such fluency and humour. Perhaps it would be a good place for RG56 to start.

tqmatch
22nd Aug 2015, 19:43
Hi RG, I think that although yes, the first reply was slightly of target - by and large you are getting an overly hard time.

I joined the RAF straight from school at 16 as (what was back then) A Mech (T) - basically airframe mechanic, with a fast pass to J/T. My English was, and still is, bad! However it did not stop me completing 10years, serving on the front line, and carrying on to get my EASA B1.3 licence with types on the AS350, EC135, B-105 and now starting studying for a CPL(H)

Life in civvy street and the mob is hard, you have two ears and one mouth, use them in that ratio and you'll never go far wrong!

RG56
22nd Aug 2015, 20:23
I went back down to my local AFCO and I decided to be a weapons tech so hopefully I get my start date for the pre recruit training soon.:E:ok:

Basil
22nd Aug 2015, 20:46
Now that some of you mention English, I recollect being officer i/c a station club.
We went off on an expedition and a sergeant was keen to write the report. I was sure he'd write a good one and wasn't worried about the spelling and grammar because the SHQ typing pool was excellent at cleaning up all that stuff. Although I was on leave when the report was disseminated my 2i/c the expedition was to sign on my behalf and he'd read it, wouldn't he?

Oh dear! What I didn't know was that the sergeant's technical department had their own typing pool and, because it was technical, typed ad verbatim. The 2i/c clearly signed p/p without reading.

The report went to station, command and, worst of all, to the RN :O

When I returned from leave I had a 'See me!' from the Station Commander awaiting.

I learnt about monitoring from that.

Basil
22nd Aug 2015, 20:49
I decided to be a weapons tech
Well, I was a gunfitter in the TA but that was only for a laugh.
Unless you're taking the piss haven't you read any of the advice here re post mil career?

Sorry, RG56, that was a bit harsh. It is, after all, your decision. Good luck!

Slow Biker
22nd Aug 2015, 20:56
Good move RG, don't be put off by other techies. It stood me well in various guises from age 16 to 62, from a sqn to HQ to UNSCOM. Apart from the wide variety of jobs within the trade, from ejection seats to EOD, you will find camaraderie among the armourers that does not exist elsewhere. No doubt there will be incoming for that.

ian16th
22nd Aug 2015, 21:35
I decided to be a weapons tech

I do hope that this choice wasn't made because you thought that being known as a fairy was demeaning.

Best of luck.

Tashengurt
22nd Aug 2015, 21:45
Well I've heard that plumbers can make great money now all the Poles have gone home!

Union Jack
22nd Aug 2015, 22:20
The report went to station, command and, worst of all, to the RN

Don't worry, Basil, we're not all wordsmiths either!;)

Jack

Pontius Navigator
23rd Aug 2015, 08:55
Friend of mine had hoped to become the youngest WO in the RAF. Sadly he went head to head with OC Eng and LOVed at just 38.

He then went on to become a highly experienced demolitions expert. One time he was hauled off the golf course at Aberdeen, flown to Brindisi and boated straight to a burning LPG carrier.

Another friend, not ex-Mil, runs an explosives company doing quarry work.

Finally another ran a nursing home :)

Teamchief
23rd Aug 2015, 20:26
Sorry about the late entry to this thread but during my 28 years in the mob I was always led to believe that Chaplain was the best job what with only having one AP and no amendments!

JointShiteFighter
24th Aug 2015, 02:51
Please don't ignore the advice about attitude and grammar.

If a pilot was flying an aircraft that you have worked on immediately prior to their sortie, they would want to be confident that you have paid attention to detail, weren't lazy and cut corners, have accepted criticism like an adult and corrected your mistake to the best of your abilities and have remained calm with a smile on your face while you were doing it. They wouldn't want to have to rectify your mistake by pulling the handle just to give them a chance of finishing the shift they started.

It might seem like some members are being tossers for the sake of it, they probably are... but try to see it as advice that will hopefully keep your conscience clear, aircrew (and those on the ground) alive and you out of prison.

Stitchbitch
24th Aug 2015, 06:15
As Tashengurt said, I suppose Survival Equipment Specialist (?) was a step too far? FWIW, ICT or and I hate to say it, Av tech, are probably the ones to look at :ok:

Pontius Navigator
25th Aug 2015, 13:54
RG56, also try to get a job with a local engineering firm, doesn't matter what sort, learn the difference between a toffee hammer and a rubber mallet.

Basil
25th Aug 2015, 14:10
a rubber mallet
What? You have to whack them on with a mallet? I am humbled. :E

Fluffy Bunny
25th Aug 2015, 14:17
There's a song going round in my head....

A I'm an armourer... B I'm an armourer....

:p

Pontius Navigator
25th Aug 2015, 15:34
Baz, jest ye not, we had an engine fitter flown out to the States to assist with an engine change - Sgt Hammer was he.

AFCO,

Hello lad, want to join the Royal Air Force?

Yes Sir

Name?

Hammer.

Right, Engines for you, next?

RG56
10th Sep 2015, 17:37
Just thought I would let everyone know that I start basic training at Halton on the 20th:ok:

camelspyyder
10th Sep 2015, 17:54
Well Done.

Have fun and work hard.

RG56
14th Dec 2015, 23:05
Just another update I just passed out of Halton 😃😃 it was one of the best experiences of my life I've made really good friends that I'll have for life and I can't wait to start trade training.

JointShiteFighter
15th Dec 2015, 05:55
Congratulations! Thank you for choosing to serve. :)

camelspyyder
15th Dec 2015, 07:19
+1

Well done.