PDA

View Full Version : Missed approach procedure after sidestep

PL64
18th Aug 2015, 07:04
Hi all, I have a question regarding a sidestep procedure. Assuming I've been cleared for an instrument approach at an airport with a parallel RWY system and I'm on final and the controller asks me if I can accept a swingover to the other runway. I confirm that and he clears me to swingover and land. Now let's say s/he didn't specify any missed approach to be followed, which one shall I fly? Of course, in the real world, I'd ask, but is it laid down anywhere which one I'd have to follow? Both missed approaches have their pros and cons I suppose. Following the missed approach for the instrument approach runway is easy for workload, nothing new to be briefed on final, heads can remain up, but I might interfere with traffic from that runway. On the other hand, following the missed approach for the landing runway doesn't have the traffic issue, but it forces the FCM to check for the new missed approach in a low altitude environment, which is not safe either. So, which one is it (any reference in EASA or ICAO)? As mentioned before, if in doubt I'd always ask, but just wondering in case a check captain puts me in that situation and expects me to know and act accordingly. Thanks for your answer, I'll appreciate it.

peekay4
18th Aug 2015, 07:51
Terminology is important here. You mentioned the terms "side-step" and "swingover" which can mean different things.

A side-step is a specific maneuver authorized only if two parallel runways are spaced 1,200 feet or less, and a straight-in landing can be made to the other runway.

For example at KAPA ILS or LOC RWY 35R (http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/APA/IAP/ILS+OR+LOC+RWY+35R/pdf), as charted there is an authorized side-step maneuver from 35R to 35L.

A couple scenarios:

1) For this airport ATC can authorize a side-step as published: "Cleared Runway 35R approach, side-step to Runway 35L". In this case you are flying the Runway 35R instrument approach and on a miss you would fly the missed approach procedure for Runway 35R (the original runway).

2) Suppose it's clear skies and on long final ATC asks if you can swing / accept a visual approach to 35L. If you accept, the ATC phraseology will be "Cleared Visual Approach Runway 35L" (note difference from above) and you are no longer on an instrument approach. On a visual approach, there is no missed approach segment. If you miss then you have to remain VFR (clear of clouds) and contact ATC for further directions.

RAT 5
18th Aug 2015, 07:55
PMI is a classic place for this to happen. The go-rounds, especially RW24 are very different. I agree with the confusion about heads down FMC-ing at 1000'. Having the chart handy for the side step RW is important and then you can fly the G/A using basic modes. No FMC involved. (scary for some. NO LNAV).
Being pedantic, ATC ask if you can accept a side step? One reply might be "only if you tell me the G/A routing". I'm sure there will as many opinions as training captains you ask.
The confusion is if the side step RW is an IFR runway with ILS or NPA, but I assume the side step procedure is conducted visually. Some will say you G/A using the IFR procedure for the landing RW. Some will say treat it like a circle to land and G/A from the initial IFR approach runway.
I await the definitive answer.

No Fly Zone
18th Aug 2015, 08:55
That's a very fair question, IMO. Think it through a bit more and then consider...
If last instant Rwy changes are known common where you are headed, brief BOTH options before the approach. If different plates/routes/procedures are used, have BOTH handy and in mind. Always remember that as commander (or PF) on final, YOU are in charge. IF you can safely comply with ATC's REQUEST, do so and perhaps consider hand-flying the remainder, keeping eyes out. If ATC's Request simply comes too late to be safely flown, state that you are UNABLE, perhaps appending 'safety,' and continue the original approach (if a G/A becomes necessary, fly the original, published plan). And of course, to the greatest degree possible, try to keep ATC/tower informed of your intentions.
I'm sure that I've left out a couple of steps, but their are multiple variables here. If it must be said, again, you are responsible for the safety of your aircraft alone. That late in an approach, major changes from ATC/tower are requests, not orders. If all else fails, declare a G/A per the original approach and fly it. I know I'm probably missing something, but when an approach gets that snarky, fly, navigate and communicate seems to come to mind. At the very least, ATC will (should) understand what you are doing. You can shoot them later.:eek: