PDA

View Full Version : The importance of oral history.

10th Aug 2015, 14:52
My mother-in-law Barbara who served throughout WW2 in the WAAF has just died aged 92 after a very short illness. For almost all her service she was stationed on frontline airfields and would often amuse me with little anecdotes about well known "personality" aircrew of those times as well as details of everyday life on various airfields. Some years ago whilst on a course a very pleasant female Wing Commander who was involved in an oral history project offered to have Barbara’s recollections recorded but of course there was “plenty of time” so the offer was put to one side for another day. Now of course there isn’t "another day" and her memories have been lost forever. So for the benefit of future generations and your own family please don’t make the same mistake I did, get those stories and memories recorded whilst there’s still time.

Wander00
10th Aug 2015, 15:09
When I could not get into Duxford last September for the 2 Lancasters show, I went to Sawston and parked near the roundabout, which I knew is about on the runway centreline. Got some good "Mohne Dam" pics head on too, but point is, parked next to me was a guy with his 93 year old Mum who had been a WAAF during the war, served at Scampton and around, and was present (I guess within sight or earshot) when Gibson was told the dog with the unrepeatable name had been run over. I bet she could have filled a cd or two. And it is not just war time memories - my predecessor as Secretary of a large yacht club was OC 5 Sqn in the 70s, and he has been to Hendon and recorded his memories.

MPN11
10th Aug 2015, 19:10
A few years ago I created a potted family history [covering antecedents involved in Egypt 1882, WW1 and WW2] to mark my grandson's 1st birthday. Perhaps my son would like a volume of "My years in ATC and other interesting jobs"?

I shall ask him in a couple of weeks' time when he visits us :cool:

Chugalug2
10th Aug 2015, 19:32
It may not be aural, but a lot of WW2 personal history has been posted on the "Obtaining an RAF Pilots Brevet in WWII" thread, not always by pilots, not always first hand, but there for posterity nonetheless.

Could I please put in a plea for anyone who has a relative who served in the British and Commonwealth Air Forces of any hue, and with their story to tell, to tell it on that thread? I know that our incumbent maitre d' (who does indeed fit the OP completely) would agree that all are welcome, whether ex-air or ground crew, or indeed admin and org. It was a people's war, and the people are becoming fewer by the day.

163627 is right, let's do it now while there is still time...

Fluffy Bunny
11th Aug 2015, 10:50
When we were clearing out my grandparents house, we found a transcript of an interview between my Grandfather and someone from some Lincolnshire history organisation into his contribution to the war effort. As a reserve occupation (farmer) he hadn't got many tales of derring do in the face of the enemy, but did have some good anecdotes about his Home Guard service and the escapades of the boys from "up the hill" at Scampton and Ingham aerodromes.

November4
13th Aug 2015, 19:09
12 years ago, I sat my grandmother down in front of a video camera and said to just talk about things she remembered. A bit of propting here and there and I have an hour long video of her reminiscing about seeing a Zepplin coming down in flames, a school being bombed and seeing the bodies of the children being brought out, the end of the Great war street party (she fell over in the race and a Candian asked is she had hurt bum....a "shocking word"), then her experiences of the blitz, a V2 landing in the next street as well as more mundane family matters. She died 2 years later but that history is preserved as well as still being able to see her talking.

Now if only I had done the same with my mother...

phil9560
13th Aug 2015, 20:11
My Father recalled a V2 passing over on Christmas Eve '44.And heard it land.He rode on his bike the day after,retrieved a small piece and escaped the police cordon possession intact.

Then a few years later his Mother threw the piece in the bin.

I never really listened to his tales just sort of heard them.Too late now.

FantomZorbin
13th Aug 2015, 20:28

That is so very true!

VIProds
15th Aug 2015, 17:15
When I joined the North Lincs Aircrew Association several years ago, I was quite struck by some of the Wartime tales that came out over Lunch. Unfortunately, these Gentlemen did not want to stand up in front of everyone & give us a talk on their experiences.

Now, well into their 90's I felt that these stories will be lost for ever, so managed to get several members to sit down in the comfort of their own homes, while I filmed them.

One member described how he was sent to a Swedish Internment Camp for attempting to blow up a Harbour crane that was being used to supply Iron Ore to the Germans. He then went on as a Flt Eng & was awarded a DFC for saving his rear gunner while over the target on a German Bombing raid & getting frost bite in the process. These Gentlemen were so incredibly brave.

The Aircrew Association Archive at Elvington now have six DVD's in a climate controlled environment, where these stories will live on.

Tall Bird
15th Aug 2015, 18:15
My parents have both been active in their veterans' associations (WAAF & RN) and have given some account of their service. We're encouraging them to write and record details. They've also supplied memorabilia including parachute silk nighties (RN of course!), photos etc to museums.

I'm visiting them in Canada at the moment and VJ Day has brought out more photos and memories. It was good to hear a brief extract from BBC news this morning about the commemorations in the UK.

romeo bravo
17th Aug 2015, 09:45
The reminiscences of some of the guys on this thread would make interesting listening -

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/566176-vj-day-commemoration.html