PDA

View Full Version : How Many Commercial Pilots Wear Glasses?

HEJT2015
7th Aug 2015, 15:57
Hi guys,

Just wondering, but would anyone know what rough proportion of commercial pilots wear glasses or contact lenses for when they fly?

Thank you!

jhthung
8th Aug 2015, 04:42
depends on what you are comfortable with
Personally, I wear contacts by day, because I can put on my sunglasses without taking off my glasses.

HEJT2015
8th Aug 2015, 20:28
But would contacts be suitable for the daily lifestyle of an airline pilot...?

parkfell
9th Aug 2015, 11:24
The answer is a significant number, which will increase over the age of say 50-55 years old when your ability to read close up starts to become increasingly difficult.

N5, I think is the line you need to read. "Never put your specs with the lenses first on a hard surface. OR......trees beautiful trees........" paraphrasing

The quality of light is also an important issue. I think if you compare someone aged 20 to someone of 60, the older person needs three times as much light to achieve success.

You probably start to wear them before the AME says it is a requirement. You notice it first in the simulator when it can be somewhat dark.

Luke SkyToddler
10th Aug 2015, 08:23
Yes. I've been wearing contact lenses my entire 20+ year pilot career.

Used to just wear the normal monthly disposable cheap ones back when I was on turboprops / short haul. Now that I'm long haul I find that the disposable ones get really dry and irritating over a 10 or 12 hour flight, so I've started using those extended wear leave-in-your-eyes-for-a-month jobs. Much more breathable and you don't need to take your contact lens holders and solution when you go on a trip.

RedBullGaveMeWings
10th Aug 2015, 11:00
This is interesting Luke SkyToddler, I war contact lenses too but I have the same issue after 10-12 hours. Any hints as to where to look for this type of lenses I have never heard of?

I wear toric lenses (Biomedics Toric XR).

parkfell
10th Aug 2015, 13:54
Try Specsavers and any other high street supplier.
Speak to your AME as there may be an "adjustment" period before you can use them at work.
There are some issues with continuous use ones. So check out the pros/cons first.
Think about daily disposal ones as well.

Luke SkyToddler
10th Aug 2015, 16:19
Air Optix Aqua | Contact Lenses | Vision Direct UK (http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/air-optix-aqua)

These are what I use, they're fantastic. Pop em in on the 1st of the month and forget about them for a month. I do take them out once every week or so just to give them a rinse and a rub, but they're much lower maintenance than normal lenses and much much better in the context of a dry airliner cockpit. Because they're much more porous and breathable than normal ones, your eye stays moist and fresh the whole flight

That website is good too, cheaper than the high street and doesn't demand to see your prescription first. Been using them for 10+ years with no hassle

Jwscud
10th Aug 2015, 18:10
I use exactly the same lenses as Luke. I find I wear glasses for a few days a month between pairs of lenses but have also been using them for a decade with no issues.

Be aware you still need to carry spare glasses in accordance with your medical. I have been asked to show them on ramp checks.

RedBullGaveMeWings
11th Aug 2015, 08:26
Unfortunately my astigmatism is -2,75 dioptres and lenses you suggest do not have them available. I found however the Sauflon XR by Cooper Vision and.... man they are expensive (111,35 euro for 6 lenses per eye) but they may be worth it.

I am just thinking of finally getting Lasik.

HEJT2015
12th Aug 2015, 11:05
Yeah I'm thinking of having lasik too before I apply to any major airline, have you looked at 'London Moorfield Eye Hospital'?

Or would you reckon that an airline would give you leave to have it done once you've built up some seniority with them?

Jwscud
13th Aug 2015, 09:40
I am very wary about Laser surgery. I can see just fine with glasses/contact lenses.

I do not want to bet a career I love on the odds of complications when I don't need to. Then again, I exposed myself to much worse odds of failure (1 in 3) when I got married. Go figure.