PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER University debate.

PPRuNeUser0194
7th Aug 2015, 13:42
Hi all,

It feels that with my own research I am getting no where. I know its my decision but what better place to get opinions from people like yourself :O

There seems to be a big split of PPRuNe about going to university or not. I have a place to go next month to read BSc Geography at a Russell Group Uni. My ultimate goal is to become a pilot and I really don't know if its the correct thing to do. I don't really mind the talked about 'Uni experience', yeah it would be fun i'm sure, but i'm much more determined to reach my goal faster a whole lot more.

Could you please give me any bits of advice as I feel they would be really helpful in making my decision. After Uni I plan to get a job and go down the Modular route. I know people say a degree is good to full back on etc but would it really be relevant in 10/20 years time if something was to go wrong? If not uni, what line of work would you recommend in order for me to save and reach my dream quicker.

I'm sorry if this sounds naive or silly, but every comment will help me make the choice I thinks best. :ugh::ugh:

Baronbombburst
7th Aug 2015, 21:14
Have you though of doing a BSC hons in professional aviation pilot practice at either Tayside or middlesex university?

PPRuNeUser0194
7th Aug 2015, 22:08
I have thought of that, but I think I would rather complete a more academic degree just in case things didn't go to plan.

PPRuNeUser0194
7th Aug 2015, 22:20
I have thought of that, but I think I would rather complete a more academic degree just in case things didn't go to plan.

Bloated Stomach
7th Aug 2015, 22:55
I hope you consider going to university and completing a degree outside of aviation with good scope of employment.

I wish I had done the same but I followed my heart and not my brain.

If you've decided that you will be going down the modular training route, then you must have a full time job enough to cover all your expenses at a minimum. Getting a job after modular training is very very difficult. There are thousands in the UK qualified down the modular route without jobs and any prospect.

Go to uni, study hard and enjoy the uni life.

LandingConfig
7th Aug 2015, 23:03
I was in the same position but chose not to take up my place at university, instead I now have a full time job in aviation. I too plan on the modular route however it's not a solid decision as of yet.

blue_ashy
18th Aug 2015, 20:29
For anyone thinking of it - always consider university as a learning experience and not a thing to get out of the way for a job experience. Take it from me, in the UK, after you leave university you are thrown into a virtual cage of thousands of others who are all fighting for the extremely small amount of graduate level jobs. A job I was interviewed for before I fell into my current job had 1600 applicants and I was part of 60 looking to get the 10 on offer! This is common and intensifies even further the higher up the payscales you go and also the more generalist the degree/job is.

The majority of these type of jobs outside of formal industry like engineering are also London based. Any London based graduate level job is a byword for being so skint that you will be living in a flat with 5 others just to keep the rent low and you can forget flying in the near future.

My advice to anyone is to ensure that the obsession to fly before you can afford it does not become your life, I know that doesn't make sense but if you go to university thinking you will be start out highly paid at the end of it and then turn up a year later with £50k cash, you will of made the biggest mistake of your life. Consider all options and consider them on their merits, that will help you achieve what you really want to achieve in life.

I say if you want to do university, pick a subject you enjoy, enjoy it, live it, breathe it for those 3 years and then consider flying as a career later. If you aren't bothered about university, get a job and start saving because each £1 you earn is £1 closer to at least starting to do what you really want to do.