PDA

View Full Version : Air Clues : Summer 2015 : Issue 16

CoffmanStarter
6th Aug 2015, 19:36
For those interested the latest issue has been published on-line ...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/81DE276B_5056_A318_A88FA5929455ABC5.pdf

Best ...

Coff.

P6 Driver
7th Aug 2015, 06:41
Content removed

dctyke
7th Aug 2015, 07:35
Re the Flight Safety Awards. After the sad events on the Red Arrows with the ejection seat shackle issue I was amazed that wrong shackles could be fitted to Tornado seats and potentially the opposite to Hawk seats. Having worked in bays working with four different aircraft seat types this simply could not have happened with the systems then used. I really do wonder if today's engineering is better than it was in the 80s.

Courtney Mil
7th Aug 2015, 08:33
Thanks very much, Coff.

Just to prove I do read the articles, I noted with interest a remark in the ODH interview with AVM Reynolds. Asked, "How on earth do you manage to sleep at night?" He replied, "Easily, because I'm well supported." I presume he means he has a nice firm mattress.

BEagle
7th Aug 2015, 08:39
...or that he goes to bed wearing one of Messrs. Litesome's well-known products?

I had a quick look at Air Clues, but did find it rather heavy going...

They seem concerned about 'cognitive failure' amongst pilot who fly privately, as well as getting their handful of military hours. Perhaps that's because quite a few aircrew are having to top up their PIC time so that they can qualify for a CPL?

MPN11
7th Aug 2015, 08:53
Grateful, Coff ... it helps me keep 'vaguely' in touch with the old world ;)

Basil
7th Aug 2015, 15:44
Avgas (aviation gasoline or Jet A1): used in piston
engines.
They do seem to have their share of typos.

CoffmanStarter
7th Aug 2015, 16:26
No worries Chaps :ok:

I personally found the 1947 'Pilots Puzzle Page' questions on Page 17 entertaining ... Did quite well IIMSSMS.

Does anybody know what the Radio Equipment was that is mentioned under Q4 ? Seems to be some sort of early DME but I'm bu99ered if I know :uhoh:

dervish
7th Aug 2015, 16:56
Thanks coffman.

This from ODH interview.

legally responsible and accountable for
every air safety decision I made during my tenure, now and for
the rest of my life.

Who does this apply to now? IIRC it came up on the nimrod case when MoD said they couldn't force people to give evidence if they had left post or were retired. Someone posted to say the "rest of life" had always been the case.

glad rag
7th Aug 2015, 17:47
Re the Flight Safety Awards. After the sad events on the Red Arrows with the ejection seat shackle issue I was amazed that wrong shackles could be fitted to Tornado seats and potentially the opposite to Hawk seats. Having worked in bays working with four different aircraft seat types this simply could not have happened with the systems then used. I really do wonder if today's engineering is better than it was in the 80s.

Aye. You'll have to roll with this one...PM if you want.

sUgoBb8m1eE

glad rag
7th Aug 2015, 18:11
Und....

surprising picture on page 19 of the pdf document

Is it me or is the crewman unhitched on his left? [good pic 'clues team]

you can't keep an old turbine tech down ya know BASICS!

Dougie M
7th Aug 2015, 19:57
Coff.
I think the equipment you are on about was the Blind Approach Beacon System which was around at the end of the War and had a vertical timebase for range markers. "BABS homings and letdowns" were imprecise. Rebecca/Eureka took over the distance measuring and ILS took out the on board height read outs from the Nav.

CoffmanStarter
7th Aug 2015, 20:05
Many thanks Doug, much appreciated ;)

Hangarshuffle
7th Aug 2015, 20:22
Head to head I always thought it was boring compared to the FAA's Cockpit.
That article about horse drivers wearing high viz vests to avoid helicopters, (make it the other way around) is a piss take worthy of monty python.

Bigbux
7th Aug 2015, 21:00
Thanks for the Airclues link Coff

Was very interested in the article on Fuel. Confusion? certainly seems to be.

My memory may serve me incorrectly, and I don't have the DefStan to hand, but: Jet A-1 used to be the equivalent of F-35 (Avtur) - which is F-34 without the Fuel Systems Icing Inhibitor (FSII) and anti-static additive (ASA).

Jet A - is normally only found in the US or Canada

F-34 is the standard fuel you will see around RAF stations and is especially important for use in FJ. Use of F-35 could impose a limitation on the use of the aircraft.

Avtag - is obsolete -

Surprised to see no mention of F-44 Avcat - which is basically F-34 with a lower flash point for use on carriers.

Take That
8th Aug 2015, 06:45
Hangarshuffle,

Sadly not a piss take. It was one of the initiatives introduced around 2005 after consultation between the MoD and the riding community following the inquest into the death of Mrs Heather Bell, a 38 year old mother of two who was killed when her horse reacted and bolted to a low flying Chinook. Are they effective? The horse riders I know who wear them seem to think so.

fltlt
8th Aug 2015, 13:11
Over here the cousins are bust painting over JP8 with F24.

Basil
8th Aug 2015, 13:26
Sadly not a piss take.
Yes, read that and wondered if it would be effective. Anything to avoid a serious accident I guess.
Just last week, watching a niece being schooled, a horse in a neighbouring field fixated on my wife's small brolly and then cantered wildly around, presumably to escape the imagined pink predator. Weird creatures - horses, that is :E

India Four Two
8th Aug 2015, 16:47
University Air Squadron students do not learn to fly the Tutor
if they keep an affiliation with the Air Cadets and continue to
instruct on Volunteer Gliding Squadrons.

Seriously? :eek:

They are incapable of flying a light aircraft because they fly gliders?

ACW599
8th Aug 2015, 18:31
>They are incapable of flying a light aircraft because they fly gliders?<

Makes you wonder how ATA crews ever coped with a dozen different types in a day. No navaids and strictly VFR too, even in the depths of winter. Or how those of us on VGSs managed to cope with the mighty Vigilant whilst also being current (even instructing, shock, horror) on several flavours of civil light aircraft.

Pontius Navigator
8th Aug 2015, 20:46
Hangarshuffle,

Sadly not a piss take. It was one of the initiatives introduced around 2005 after consultation between the MoD and the riding community following the inquest into the death of Mrs Heather Bell, a 38 year old mother of two who was killed when her horse reacted and bolted to a low flying Chinook. Are they effective? The horse riders I know who wear them seem to think so.

I have been berated several times when driving and encountering riders in high visibility BLACK and that within a MATZ foot print.

Met a woman yesterday, riding bare-back, no helmet, and leading a pony, again wearing hiviz camo to blend in with the hedge row.

Courtney Mil
8th Aug 2015, 22:28
Hangarshuffle,

Head to head I always thought it was boring compared to the FAA's Cockpit.
That article about horse drivers wearing high viz vests to avoid helicopters, (make it the other way around) is a piss take worthy of monty python.

Sometimes you come across as having a slightly single-service bias. I'm sure Air Clues will never be as good as the FAA version, but it is what it is.

The horse riding issue is one that the MOD takes seriously and what you read there was a report back to readers from a well founded initiative between the riding community and the flying community, to mutual benefit. The result over probably ten years has been constructive and MAY well have saved lives. No reason why it shouldn't continue to do so.

Just in case your post really was serious, I'll explain. The hi viz is so that the helo guys can see the riders and avoid them.

Scoff all you like.

tucumseh
11th Aug 2015, 14:21
This from ODH interview.

Quote:
legally responsible and accountable for every air safety decision I made during my tenure, now and for the rest of my life.
Who does this apply to now? IIRC it came up on the nimrod case when MoD said they couldn't force people to give evidence if they had left post or were retired. Someone posted to say the "rest of life" had always been the case.
You're unlikely to get an answer from MoD.

Yes, this was policy for all of my time in MoD. I was taught on Day 1, keep a copy of everything you sign. This was especially hammered into us when handed letters of delegation; and then again when the Crown Proceedings Act was amended in the late 80s. When I retired, I was told to retain all these papers, as I was still required to justify decisions. (And have been a number of times, when MoD "lost" their copies). That this conflicts with the OSA is one of those things MoD has never got to grips with. Not entirely their fault. It is why people could submit evidence to the likes of Lord Philip without fear of censure. (Although MoD tried).

The ODH interviewed seems to imply this principle came as a shock to him. If it did, then where did he gain his experience as he would have known this from being a sprog?

Bizarrely, your memory is also correct in that this very point (it was expressed as "enduring duty of care") was asked by a Minister, to Secy of State, when the prosecution of those named by Haddon-Cave was being considered. When the correct names (!) were put to the Provost Marshal, Thames Valley Plod and CPS, MoD's formal response was "They've either retired or left post, so no action can be taken, or even questions asked of them". And so the matter was dropped. It also cropped up in other cases - Sea King ASaC and Tornado ZG710 spring to mind. There are numerous examples of Inquests being tainted by MoD staffs, serving and retired, refusing to give evidence. (And also by those willing to give evidence being rejected). If you can reconcile these facts, please tell me how!

This edition of Air Clues comes across as more of a comic. One or two good articles, but let down by a failure to understand some basic principles. A bit like the Spry thread here.

Fareastdriver
11th Aug 2015, 19:29
As somebody mentioned they got their fuels mixed up. Jet A1 for piston engines???? An Antonov AN2 might run on it. The quiz was easy enough for my generation.