PDA

View Full Version : 2015 EASA PPL -> FAA PPL, requirements?

Reely340
4th Aug 2015, 14:11
Guys, I'm travelling to the USA next week for a three weeks family vacation and am wondering whether I could easily get a FAA license to complete my current EASA PPL. More precisely:
- is additional training required, or is it just a bueraucratic operation?
- would that be a standalone FAA PPL or "only valid with valid EASA PPL + medical" ?
- will a current EASA typrating (HU269) be incorporated automatically?
- where should I go to to get that done efficiently?
- how would I extend/renew/refresh such an FAA license? Is refreshing the EASA PPL here in Austria sufficient?
- whats the cost? (one time, and annually)

I'm just thinking of adding an FAA PPL, I'm very certain that this family vacation will leave almost no place to actually rent an S300C, but in the very unlikely event that I indeed might get a round to it,
- will I be able to rent a bird, being that "foreign vacation euro dude"?
- will I be able to get insurance? (or is it typically included in the lease rate in US)
- where might my chance to become airborne be the greatest? (rental car course planned from LGB to SanDiego to LAS, uncontrolled aerodrome preferred :O)

ahwalk01
4th Aug 2015, 15:28
You say complete the PPL? If you're still a student pilot, no solo with passengers? How can you add a type rating to something not completed as yet?

You should follow the below guide in the first instance.

Convert your EASA PPL to FAA | Pilotman.net (http://www.pilotman.net/tip-convert-your-easa-ppl-to-faa/)

There should be plenty of opportunities - you're going to need a flight school - westair aviation in las vegas is a good one.

West Air Aviation (http://www.westairaviation.com/)

Beware though, any training needs a visa and TSA approval, it may be better to take a CFI with you - that school does good X-C trips

Alex

GoodGrief
4th Aug 2015, 15:59
You'll need an M visa and go through the TSA process.
All hardly possible in one week.

There are no type ratings below 12500lbs, so no, the 300 will not appear on your FAA CERTIFICATE.
There are no LICENSES in the USA.

Insurance is included in the rental rate.
An Austrian prof check is not sufficient. You have to do a Biannual Flight Review (BFR), read FAR 61.56.

Reely340
4th Aug 2015, 21:22
Firstly I may apologize for my ambigous wording, let me clairfy:
I'm holding a valid EASA PPL(h), class 1 medical and a TR for the good ole' S-300C (HU269), no student status, hence ESTA border clearance is sufficient (for non commercial flying).

Thanks for the link. Doesn't sound so bad:
1 mail/fax scan of PPL, medical and passport to FAA office
2 wait up to 90 days for clearance
3 pick up documents IN PERSON within the next 6 months at FAA office.

Of course, you're right, step 2 makes step 3 inaccessible for this vacation.
I was wondering if I might revese the process:
Start with showing up IN PERSON, with copies and original documents, at an FAA office, and have them mail me the FAA PPL back to Austria when they completed their security check.
I'll try and contact them, maybe they're okay with the modified process :cool:

hueyracer
6th Aug 2015, 20:38
You will need a letter of verification from your "home-CAA" to the FAA, which can only be requested by the FAA.

Thatīs why you need to send the documents to the FAA first.
They then will check it, and ask your license issuing CAA for verification before they proceed.

No shortcuts.