PDA

View Full Version : EK Staff Travel

flap relief
4th Aug 2015, 09:25
I'm wondering if anyone can come up with a valid plausible reason why I, as a staff member (cockpit crew) of this egalitarian organisation have a lower priority than the parents/siblings/spouse of a chap senior to me in seniority.

Does anyone else share the opinion that as operating crew and employees we should have priority over family members with a view to getting back to Europe/home base (wherever) for a couple of days to catch up with family etc….?

I know we are enduring a few problems at present but with the overbooking currently going on it's almost impossible to use the one perq that makes this vaguely tolerable particularly to UK!

GoreTex
4th Aug 2015, 09:43
you should have joined 10 to 15 years earlier then you wouldn't have this problem

PS: don't worry my family never travels on EK

flaphandlemover
4th Aug 2015, 09:43
Totaly agree....👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

PositiveRate876
4th Aug 2015, 09:54
You forgot the maid. She can also bump you if you're junior to her employer.

wizard1
4th Aug 2015, 10:09
It's one of the very strange kind of legacy things. A 19 year senior Captain would be bumped by my housemaid. Utterly bizarre I agree

BigGeordie
4th Aug 2015, 10:32
Spouse I can just about understand. If I got bumped by somebody's maid I would be somewhat miffed but those are the rules and they haven't changed since you or I joined. Save your ire for the stuff that has changed (and not for the better).

alwayzinit
4th Aug 2015, 14:05
Think we may be getting the cart before the horse guys, as I understand it now maids can only travel above Y if accompanied by an adult family member. At least this is the experience relayed to me by my FO who couldn't book his maid a J ticket (it is a rumour network right?). So assuming you dont want broken knees and a stuffed back you will be in J or F so not an issue?

For what is worth I was struggling to get back to the pit, spoke to FDM and he arranged jump seat clearance as long as I had my ID with me. Didn't need it in the end but if you don't ask....................

captainsmiffy
4th Aug 2015, 14:21
That was good of him, then, to ignore the rule about not taking your ID on leave!!

lospilotos
4th Aug 2015, 14:33
That was good of him, then, to ignore the rule about not taking your ID on leave!!

No such rule. You are probably thinking about airport IDs.

Juan Heych
4th Aug 2015, 14:39
No rule against taking your ID with you whilst on leave.
There is such a rule for ground staff with access to the apron.

Emma Royds
4th Aug 2015, 14:42
At Manila, they wont accept you for travel unless you show your EK ID at check in!

Local rules apparently but it may have changed recently! :ugh:

anson harris
4th Aug 2015, 16:29
What? Someone's maid gets staff travel when a partner/boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other gets zip?

kennedy
4th Aug 2015, 17:38
Actually, it's the one time that seniority actually works in this company!:D

helen-damnation
4th Aug 2015, 22:26
Agree with Kennedy.

It's the system, always has been and I've been staff travelling for 50 years. Seniority is the way it's done and I'd be pissed if you bumped my family (not so much the maid) just because you're FD.

Only saying….

flap relief
5th Aug 2015, 04:29
helen,

It seems you have succumbed to the nastiness and inconsistency that pervades this place.

How is it that an employee of this company should have a lower staff travel priority than your family?

I work for this corporation that we have all grown to love, your wife does not…..

Just because it's the way it has been does not make it right.

donpizmeov
5th Aug 2015, 06:15
Flap relief: A DEC that joined 2yrs ago complaining he is being unfairly treated by seniority.......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha:D

flareflyer
5th Aug 2015, 06:24
Gents,
I know that it is a different subject but still it is related to staff travel.
I got some ZED tickets with jetstar through myidtravel.
I have to list on these flights but on the menu it only gives me the option to buy more tickets and not to list.
Any help?
Thanks

PGA
5th Aug 2015, 06:33
MyIDtravel, existing tickets / book or list, the tab next to listing / booking basically. Enter your ticket details and the carrier and voila.

Dropp the Pilot
5th Aug 2015, 06:56
Ooh the inhumanity and the injustice. It's just like Selma.

Let's see, I have 20 and something-embarassing years here. Compared to the pale and blinking individual hired yesterday do I get:

-more annual leave? No
-better access to leave? No
-more annual leave tickets? No
-better housing? No
-flights at better times of day? No

My wife will get the last seat on EK001 instead of my august colleague? Yes.

I am not tremendously ashamed.

SOPS
5th Aug 2015, 07:43
Have to agree with Dropp on this one.

flap relief
5th Aug 2015, 08:00
Love your work Don, wasn't in fact complaining about unfair treatment based on seniority (as I agree there is plenty of that to go around!), I think YOU should have travel priority without question! I would however, like to see your mothers name on the seniority list…

regards to all

fatbus
5th Aug 2015, 09:08
My wife's name is also not on the seniority list , so should you have priority over her .

clear to land
5th Aug 2015, 09:19
It is one of the VERY FEW advantages of seniority. Come here as a DEC, displace/have priority over FO's who have been here 3 times longer than you but don't get J/F -and then complain about a seniority perk! Tell your problems to some of the FO's you fly with-am sure you will find a sympathetic ear.

bigdaviet
5th Aug 2015, 09:52
My wife works in Dubai as I'm sure many others do.

So it could be just as important she makes the flight to be at work the next day as it is for another pilot to make his/her next duty.

givemewings
5th Aug 2015, 10:55
I can see both sides of the argument but in the case that the family is not travelling with the person who earns the benefit, in my -personal opinion- they should not be able to bump someone who actually works directly for the company... yes people have worked here for a long time, they earnt it, etc etc etc... but it doesn't seem fair that someone's maid can get priority in y/c over a ground staff or gr2 who is employed by and paid by the airline, over someone who is employed by and paid by... an employee...

Our kangaroo friends I believe work on this principle (or used to) a beneficiary of staff travel cannot bump an actual employee unless also travelling on the same flight as the employee earning the benefit.... the system is transparent and displays the staff listed so you can tell whether to bother or not... might have changed but it seemed fair at the time.

At this rate the staff travel is not even worth mentioning as a 'perk' because for any of us lesser than captain, you can't use it except for ALT, id50 isn't even worth bothering with because they still give you AB if you get bumped through their overbooking and can't get back to base (despite the ST manual saying otherwise) They overbook by 50+ in Y these days and leave crew on confirmed id50 behind... tell me how that's fair...

lospilotos
5th Aug 2015, 11:03
Even on a wide open flight with green little dots in all classes you can get left behind on a CAT A due to payload restrictions, may it be cargo or fuel... You have no way of knowing in advance...

gl69
5th Aug 2015, 11:33
The best staff travel I ever saw (and I've been around) was Eastern Airlines in the USA.
First of all it was free in Y class, what a concept and a $10 in First. And there are still people at Emirates who think EK has a great Staff Travel Program.
The airline broke the classification into 5 classes;
1. Employee
2. Spouse
3. Child
4. Retiree
5. Parents

If you were a child and traveling w your mom who,was not the employee than you could not bump an active employee trying to get to work or going somewhere on his limited days off.
If you were a student and going to FLA for Spring Break you were not going to bump a couple trying to get away for the weekend.
In each classification it was based on seniority. Everyone liked it and t worked well.
I know I would be pissed off if I couldn't get First class seat because some Kid in college whose father was señor to me received the last first class seat. That kid has done nothing for the airline. I read and heard the arguments that is what seniority is all about. Sure but not in this case. That Capts child doesn't have any seniority or even know what seniority is all about.
And when did anyone at Emirates start practicing the concept of seniority? Almost nothing at this airline is seniority based, at least the important items.

flareflyer
5th Aug 2015, 13:11
Thanks a lot PGA

Fack5
5th Aug 2015, 13:24
The best staff travel I ever saw (and I've been around) was Eastern Airlines in the USA

Is this the Eastern Airlines that went bust back in the 90s? If so maybe they should've charged more than 10 bucks for a seat.

bogeydope
5th Aug 2015, 14:07
Yeah like EK, which makes money off their staff. Even with these lower fuel prices.........

You've got to be kidding me!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

gl69
5th Aug 2015, 17:45
Most of the U.S. Airlines don't charge anything for Staff Travel and they all made about $5 billion this year but I don't know how much impact those two have on each other.
It goes to moral though. Why stick it to your employees on such a small matter. Give em a little and the employees will take of your company.

halas
6th Aug 2015, 10:41
There is a certain satisfaction that goes with being senior to fleet managers/pilots etc. And that is the look on their face when they see you turn up for the same flight with few seats. Even better when you get "The call". :}

halas

Schnowzer
6th Aug 2015, 10:49
Flap relief: A DEC that joined 2yrs ago complaining he is being unfairly treated by seniority.......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha

My favourite post if the year:D:D:D

Plane_Sailing
6th Aug 2015, 11:06
i got bumped by the 16 year old kid of a DEC because they can book a higher class of travel. Total bulsheet! Seniority should have nothing to do with rank.
If I travel with my kids in economy I can get kicked by a more senior Grade 2, and that's fair enough!

helen-damnation
7th Aug 2015, 05:33
Flap Relief

In short, because my wife (and kids) have been here, with me, longer than you!