PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Drug and Alcohol Testing

nolimitholdem
1st Aug 2015, 09:54
Hmmm...

So the blow and pee tests will now be expanded to include testing for antidepressants. Fine in itself - probably not a good thing to be taking without medical supervision.

But it's an interesting move. "Following recent events" would seem to indicate that there have been discoveries of people self-medicating for depression. Pity the individual who, suffering from depression, is too fearful of the EK doctors that they take it upon themselves to try and treat themselves?! Or perhaps they ARE taking the meds under supervision from the doc in their home country, but don't wish the grubby EK clinic to know? Do they really think that this will encourage depression sufferers to come forward? Now they will simply go undiagnosed and untreated. Progress!

If that isn't a tad disturbing, or illustrative of the current state of affairs at EK - what is? In the wake of the Germanwings tragedy it really is astounding.

And I certainly cannot think of any better adjective to describe the rostering these days than "depressing". (Although there are other good words as well, such as "unsafe", "unreasonable", "unsustainable"...)

SOPS
1st Aug 2015, 09:57
It just gets better and better.

There is life on the outside people, always keep that in mind.

ruserious
1st Aug 2015, 10:00
(Although there are other good words as well, such as "unsafe", "unreasonable", "unsustainable"...)

You forgot negligent and irresponsible, two of TCAS's faves

Dropp the Pilot
1st Aug 2015, 10:36
There is life on the outside people, always keep that in mind.

Using yourself as an example, that does not appear to be true. If nothing but walking dogs, drinking red wine, and the incessant (compulsive?) posting of anti-EK agitprop is being held out as the alternative I think most people would just hang out in Dubai a little longer.

SOPS
1st Aug 2015, 10:42
Thanks for that Dropp, will keep it in mind.

Basic Service
1st Aug 2015, 10:50
Love the dripping sarcasm SOP's... Wifey is currently back in the motherland enjoying civilisation and house shopping.. I between that she walks the dogs and drinks wine whilst perusing the inter web ....

I wonder if she will come back to the pit:confused:

littlejet
1st Aug 2015, 12:02
It is the "german wings suicide pilot" event I think...don't be that dramatic.

jack schidt
1st Aug 2015, 12:40
I guess that there is a lot to be naturally depressed about here in the pit. Hot (make that scorching), rising prices (fuel +24% today alone) and VAT inbound shortly, toll roads, requiring a Visa to be "welcomed home" by Etisalat. Deteriorating Terms and Conditions of the job, oh there are no terms and conditions, because no sooner do you read the email about their contract adjustment that another one has dropped into your inbox changing the changes that were changed after the previous changes were changed.

Forced house moves to labour camps, increasing workloads above the maximum hours and when at the maximum be rostered to rest while doing sim support. The list can go on but I am going to just go outside and take a cool evening stroll in the land of beautiful country side and nature to try distress from it all for a bit.

Regarding self medication, if there are any pilots who were taking anything that was not previously "screened" then this policy has just forced them to stop taking their medicine as the fear of going to the docs is prob just too great! Nice move, that just made things a whole lot safer.

@ SOPS, I gave you a brief sideswipe early on about hanging around here but I will have to about turn and say that your posts are welcome and still informed. To me I would guess you are here out of interest of the happenings from which you escaped and to confirm justification that you did the right thing, which no doubt you have. Keep posting.

J

alwayzinit
1st Aug 2015, 12:59
Dropp, if not walking the dogs and enjoying the company of one's life partner with a glass or two is NOT what we are all hoping for when this treadmill is over, please enlighten us.
BTW, what the hell is your problem with SOPS?

SOPS
1st Aug 2015, 14:24
im really enjoying walking my dogs, sleeping at normal times with my wife, and drinking red wine.

I also like to follow these threads, because, believe it or not, I still have many friends in EK, and I have 9 years of my life invested there.

Im sorry Dropp if this upsets you, but I chose the ' if you don't like it leave' option.

But I still think that allows me to comment on threads with my thoughts.

White Sausage
1st Aug 2015, 15:50
SOPS, keep up your good work and don't let bitter old farts tell you what no to do. I as well as many, many guys here enjoy your posts and we are happy to see a fellow inmate set free. I (again like many, many more) will follow you soon, your posts keep our spirits up.

Fire Ball XL5
1st Aug 2015, 16:27
^^^^^^^ What he said!! :ok:

innersole
1st Aug 2015, 19:01
Keep it up SOPS my friend, I'll be joining you soon!!

falconeasydriver
1st Aug 2015, 19:14
I enjoy your posts SOP's, its part of the reason I escaped :-)

Drop, you miserable git, get over yourself.

harry the cod
2nd Aug 2015, 05:29
jack schidt

As a fellow professional pilot, I'm gobsmacked that you'd think it acceptable for a colleague to be taking anti depressants without a prescription. This new testing has been at the insistence of the GCAA and follows directly on from the German Wings incident. It is not from any internal 'recent event' so the conspiracy theory can be put to bed. The FCI was quite specific about what is being tested. Do you actually condone taking these drugs without knowledge of your AME? Your post implies you do.

I'd hardly describe your posts as balanced but that third paragraph is beyond belief.

Harry

Trader
2nd Aug 2015, 06:46
Harry,

I read his comment differently.

The TRUE issue that exists is the fear a pilot may have of losing his job which is why, in most world class airlines, revealing a medical issue is non jeopardy. They WANT you to reveal issues so that they can keep a potentially unhealthy pilot out of the flight deck until he is healthy again and there is no fear of job lose.

That does NOT exist at EK - sorry - don't try and tell us that it does. Didn't exist at that little low cost German Wings either since the pilot was concerned with loan payments ( to pay of his training) or many other airlines.

It is easy to blame the pilot/person. The issue though is the system that will leave them high and dry. If he has to choose between his paycheck/career/feeding his family or coming forward if he believes there is ANY risk he may well decide to stay quiet. Particularly if they "believe" that they do not present a risk.

Praise Jebus
2nd Aug 2015, 07:23
This is not an unexpected response from the GCAA however a caring employer (in any industry) could choose to respond quite differently following an incident like Germany Wings. For example, acknowledging the increased stress that current high workloads are placing on their employees, offering open channels to assistance by professionals, not just peer volunteers. It's about recognising and acknowledging the problem that it has helped to create....not just endorsing a new punitive policy.

falconeasydriver
2nd Aug 2015, 08:11
Ahh yes, the conversation regarding stress etc will go like this at the clinic.

"Doc, I'm feeling a bit stressed, under pressure and I think I'm struggling to cope"
"Ok Pilot A, lets have a look at your details here....hmmmm..it says here you are fine, although your BMI is a little high hmmm, ok, just go and wait in the waiting room"

8 minutes later....

"Hi Pilot A, this is immigration, we are pleased to inform you that your Visa has been cancelled and you have 3 hours to report to the airport for deportation"

"huh? deportation? what? what did I do?"

"Pilot A, you are a threat to security and must be removed"

BYMONEK
2nd Aug 2015, 08:23
Some of the posts on this thread are almost too childish to believe. Professional Pilots forum? What a joke.

cerbus
2nd Aug 2015, 10:25
No it is Emirates that has become the joke. Really sad at what they have become and I really don't know if they know it yet. They will know it in the months ahead as more and more pilots leave to greener pastures. Yes they are out there.

nolimitholdem
2nd Aug 2015, 14:30
Dropp's just grumpy 'cause his mom had to tie a pork chop around his neck when he was a boy to get the family dog to play with him. Pay him no mind.

I thoroughly enjoy SOPS' contributions. A regular reminder that there is life, a good life, after EK. How irritating that must be to the management trolls who do lurk about this site, not to be able to control the flow of information the way they attempt to control all aspects of their employee's lives.

The thing that irks most about the expanded policy is that - as usual - the missive is worded in the familiar aggressive, confrontational style: the intent is clearly to "catch" people, not help them. Someone in genuine medical need of antidepressants is someone who deserves a measure of compassion, not retribution. But EK is infamous for threatening and punishing people for the "crime" of being ill. ("Attendance Monitoring Unit", anyone?! Warning emails, delayed upgrades, anyone?!)

The irony is, such an attitude is completely counterproductive to the goal of flight safety, as people will go to all kinds of lengths to hide various ailments, fearing losing their livelihood at best, to being disciplined, at worst.

SOPS
2nd Aug 2015, 15:03
And that Nolimit,that was the point of my original post, when I said ...it just keeps getting better and better...

Depression affects thousands of people around the world. With over 3000 pilots in EK, I'm sure there must be some suffering from it.

But, as we know, going to the clinic, and saying ' I am not doing so good' will probably end you up in a world of hurt.

I have not, of course, seen this latest FCI. But I can assume how it is worded.

I bet it did not say...Guys, if you are feeling a bit down, come in, we are here to help and support you...

Three nights ago I had the pleasure of having dinner with several, newly resigned ex EK Captains. And we all agreed one one thing, the relief of leaving the constant ' threat based' environment was a total relief.

Awaiting now for the haters to start, but, I could not care less.

Neptune Spear
2nd Aug 2015, 22:52
Everyone I have talked to that has left the sinking ship of Emirates has said the only regret they have in leaving is that they did not do it sooner!
The haters are truly sad. Trying desperately to justify to themselves and others that EK is a good airline. They do not need anti depressants they a dose of reality.

xbleedstart
3rd Aug 2015, 18:29
SOPS,
You say dogs so I assume more than one.
Please let me know if you need help walking those dogs?
That way you could walk one and I could walk the other freeing up a hand each for a glass of that wine!

All the best and keep posting!