PDA

View Full Version : Required ground elements Cat II/Cat III

JammedStab
1st Aug 2015, 07:46
As we are supposed to do a missed approach before the DH or AH on low visibility approaches if any of the required elements on the ground becomes inoperative, I would like to see a publication that says what these elements are.

Any info would be appreciated.

B737900er
1st Aug 2015, 09:14
Look at the downgraded/fail table in Eu-ops or similar.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAAahUKEwio9cPDxYfHAhUjl9sKHVt9ALE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhub.easa.europa.eu%2Fcrt%2Fdocs%2Fviewcrdat tachment%2Fcid_21355%2Faid_285%2Ffmd_4401a7affc2d4cc04fb4adf aa5c1807e&ei=po28VaiKO6Ou7gbb-oGICw&usg=AFQjCNH5X9l53jihbsqQfj2hg3LxrIqLqA&sig2=593_k7yLs9ZrLc27DKe1MA&bvm=bv.99261572,d.ZGU

ACMS
2nd Aug 2015, 10:31
Funny guy, I'm pretty sure he's not referring to the LOC or GS :=

Probably lights, standby power, marker beacons etc etc.

Things that aren't obvious and need a table.

We used to have it in our OPS A but now it's in our NAVTECH guide under:-
-Route documents
-Minima

This table is not intended to be checked below 1,000' AAL, it's up to the commander to continue or not if a failure occurs below 1,000' AAL.

Amadis of Gaul
2nd Aug 2015, 14:22
Good airmanship would suggest that any hiccup that might constitute a threat to aircraft safety on a CAT II/III approach would warrant another turn 'round the pattern, especially if ABOVE DH/AH. I mean, I'm paid by the minute, what's the rush, let's go around and sort out what's going on.

JammedStab
3rd Aug 2015, 04:53
Thanks 737 and ACMS. It looks like in most cases, the company provides this info to us. However, that does not appear to be the case for me. I was hoping for a link from an official source. The link in the first reply is much appreciated, but appears to be a homemade document with a lot of corrections.

Plus I wonder if there are differences between FAA and European ops.

ACMS
3rd Aug 2015, 06:10
Mr Gaul:---maybe but you'd look pretty stupid to do a missed approach if the approach lights failed in CAT3......some things we just should know where to look up quickly.

JammedStab
3rd Aug 2015, 08:01
Mr Gaul:---maybe but you'd look pretty stupid to do a missed approach if the approach lights failed in CAT3......some things we just should know where to look up quickly.

True....if approach lighting and sequenced flashers are inop, WE can continue for CAT III.

Amadis of Gaul
3rd Aug 2015, 09:43
Indeed, Mr ACMS, which is why I specified a "hiccup that might constitute a threat to aircraft safety". Approach lights failure would probably not qualify for such a designation seeing as in a true CAT III situation I might not see them even if they're operating peachily.