PDA

View Full Version : What happen in the Emirates Pilot interview Process

efq
30th Jul 2015, 07:13
I did the interview last week and failed.
DEC for the 330
Failed with No answers. they changed the schedule on the very first day. supposed to do sim at first but they moved the sim to the last day.
on day 3, they sent me to the hotel to get prepared for the medical that would begin on the same day. they said everything was ok.
while in the hotel, 45 min later, i got a call saying that i had failed.
what happens to this company?
I even had the opportunity to be on the sim!!!!!
why they said i was ok and 45 minutes later, failed.
they did the same with 3 other guys, all of them from South America.
Lost my time in EK.

The Outlaw
30th Jul 2015, 08:42
efq,

Consider yourself lucky. You saw the way the company operates before you locked into a 5 year contract.

Take the experience and apply it to getting a job for the southern neighbour or the other ME airline...or better yet, stay in your home country and focus on the important things like family and friends and not selling out to those who don't deserve it.

Kapitanleutnant
30th Jul 2015, 10:03
Exactly what Outlaw says!!!!!!

K

LHR Rain
30th Jul 2015, 11:09
Yes, consider yourself lucky EFQ for not getting the job at Emirates.
Also our hard working FOs are also lucky that you didn't come and take their jobs. They deserve better than what the company gives them.

The Guru
1st Aug 2015, 08:16
efq,

For decades the HR department at EK has been very skilled at finding and recruiting pilots that fit their mould. This moulding of pilots at an early stage ensured that the company's training costs were minimised because they recruited pilots who were already qualified and experienced in their specific type of operations. EK always turned a profit at the end of the day, because on the frontline, they had experienced Captains who were the only people trained to transport passengers and operate the airborne equipment as safely and efficiently as possible, while also maximising company revenue.

It means EK previously found pilots who had global heavy jet experience, a variety of complex operational backgrounds and theatres, several logbooks detailing accomplishments, solid training pedigrees, strong simulator and aptitude test results, certain language competencies, a specific cognitive thought process, and the list goes on.....

While I am not saying you do not possess these characteristics, I am saying the recruiters identified that you do not fit the EK mould. This does not mean you are not a good pilot, it just means you do not currently have the experience to suit the EK operation.

The problem that all EK pilots observe daily is that the pool of pilots that fit the company's mould is now shrinking, and those that remain available no longer find the current EK package an attractive proposition. It may not be attractive for financial reasons, aircraft type and rostering reasons, lifestyle, regional stability concerns, health implications, a unique individual concern, or a combination of the above. The company's managers are not willing to understand this.

Managers are not leaders. They fail to understand that almost all EK pilots would appreciate you joining our ranks, if you would allow us to mentor you, build your experience, and allow us to develop you as a professional pilot at a formerly great airline. However, until someone demonstrates positive and open leadership to engage with the pilot group, this recruitment situation will continue, and others will face the same situation you have experienced.

Do not be disheartened by the events that have transpired. I personally wish you well for the future.

The G.

nakbin330
1st Aug 2015, 09:23
The HR person didn't have the nerve to tell you face to face that you'd failed, and took the coward's way out. Far easier to pass a list of names to an underling for them to do the dirty work.

bringbackthe80s
1st Aug 2015, 10:09
Just to try and understand the failure rate at selection, for someone who flew medium haul to europe, most of the middle east, north/west africa, greek/canary islands, winter ops at the 68th parallel and russia, with plenty of manual circling approaches, ndb, vor as well as rnav and ils up to cat 3b of course (your typical medium haul european captain)... what exactly would you be doing at EK that this background plus the appropriate amount of study/training would not be good enough?
I am not being sarcastic, just a honest question

nolimitholdem
1st Aug 2015, 10:10
Did you wear your hat in the sim?

Ansett737
1st Aug 2015, 10:13
The Guru:
It means EK previously found pilots who had global heavy jet experience, a variety of complex operational backgrounds and theatres, several logbooks detailing accomplishments, solid training pedigrees, strong simulator and aptitude test results, certain language competencies, a specific cognitive thought process, and the list goes on.....

But I don't think that hiring 25-30 y.o pilots will satisfy that you've mentioned, I think the model has changed.

Flyboy_SG
1st Aug 2015, 10:21
Ask me about it ! I landed in Dubai by evening and had a recruitment sim pickup as early at 545 ! I have never seen this in any airline, probably a preview of what to expect !!! For example QR ensures that you are well rested before sim and they don't combine sim with any other activity.

donpizmeov
1st Aug 2015, 10:48
Come on LHS, all the FOs we have now joined knowing EK hires DECs, they didn't mind when they joined so I can't see them minding now.

SG, the SIM isn't very hard. If someone needs a few days to relax before doing it, and then be rushed back to a hotel to relax again after it, I would suspect they aren't made of the right cloth. Remember Ek crews had been using that SIM all night to ensure the daytime slot was available for the wannabes.

Am NOT Sure
1st Aug 2015, 19:26
EFQ
if memory serves you had started a thread in the past and the conclusion was not to join EK

Yet for reasons unknown to us you changed ur mind and the results surprise you?

Knowing how the airline and recruitment operate.. Sending u back to the hotel is part of the process .. Cowardly or not it's for them to decide .. But believing you landed the job before the recruiters finalize the results is ridiculous simple because they make it very clear you would only know the results after returning to the hotel.

Hope your case will serve as a good example to others who (have options ) and still decide to take their chances here

The Guru
2nd Aug 2015, 03:08
BB80s,

You have asked a reasonable question, but I cannot give you an answer because I didn't do your assessment. You appear to have a great deal of experience, but for all positives, you haven't listed any negatives. I'm sure that recruiting saw something that balanced 'your description' of yourself. I'd suggest that if you need an 'appropriate amount of study/training' the company may not be able to immediately employ you as a DEC, but you may have the necessary skills as a good FO.

Similarly, if you read efq's posts on the other thread, it is clear to me that his issue occurred within the simulator and he was told as such on the end of day 3. Whether he realised that element of his performance was where his issue arose I'm not sure.

Ansett is correct that the recruitment model and minimums are changing and now require 25-30 yo guys and gals to have the ability to self analyse their performance deficiencies, however some people do not have the maturity or the depth of experience to do that, and hence they are deemed unsuccessful during the process. It doesn't make them bad people or bad pilots, just not currently suited to the EK mould.

Your honest answer.

The G.

bringbackthe80s
2nd Aug 2015, 08:07
Thanks for that.

Not that it makes any difference but I have not applied, nor I plan to.
And the experience I took as an example is not necessarily mine, but those of a typical European medium jet captain..there are hundreds of them.

I was just asking out of interest after reading and hearing of many people with the above characteristics/experience fail. And I this is why I was wondering what is so peculiar at EK.

All the best.

Sheikh-It-Easy
29th Aug 2015, 17:48
If it's any consolation they never reveal the reasons behind not hiring someone unless it is glaringly obvious.

onitl
30th Aug 2015, 07:55
Just wondering anyone got same email for interview ek. . And another follow up mail advice that confirmation to be advised due sim slot issues?

GoreTex
30th Aug 2015, 21:20
efq,

Emirates just lowered the requirements (standards) but probably not low enough for some, don't be upset they did you a big favor.

alloha
31st Aug 2015, 15:50
EK ,especially between 2006-2009 was hiring lots of people from Ryanair Easyjet and other medium haul carriers. So the statement that recruitment was based on experience in wide bodies is totally false. EK became an adore because everyone with above 4000H could find his right seat on a nice shinny 777 or 330 and within the next 4-7 years become a captain on the same type. In the same time,if someone had made the decision of staying in his previous company ,he would have spent the same amount of time on the right seat of a A320 or 737 ,with lower salary and his command upgrade would be on a medium jet instead of a wide body. With proper training ,there are no barriers for a company to give transition to someone from the Medium jet to the wide body.

thatwasclose
1st Sep 2015, 12:57
This is in response to EFQ, and to an extent Nabakin.

You are told after your interview to go to the hotel and wait for a call for the pass or fail. If pass, go on to medical. If you did not understand that, I am sorry because literally 1,ooo people do every year.

It has always been the policy for the HR person who interviewed you to call you at the hotel with the news. It has always been a policy to never give feedback. Nabakin, your presumption of cowardice is wrong, it is always done on the phone.

I am not a fan of EK. I do not tell my friends to come here and I caution all you guys trying to come. They will work you like crazy, step on you, use etc etc . It is not a good job anymore, and just keeps getting worse. What I dislike even more though is BS.