PDA

View Full Version : Canadian PPL to Saudi PPL

SVnerd
24th Jul 2015, 14:55
Hello everyone. I've done some digging around but couldn't find any concrete details on converting my PPL to a Saudi one. Here's my story in a nutshell.

I'm currently living here in Canada but planning to move back to Saudi. I have a valid Transport Canada PPL and I would like to know what steps I should take to convert it to a Saudi one so that I can continue flying in my spare time. This brings up a few other questions.

1. Do I need to get my night rating before converting? In Canada, night flying isn't under the PPL as it is in the US with the FAA; rather it's a separate rating obtained usually after getting the PPL (or so I've heard).

2. What's the deal with medical certificates in this case and where should I go to get it? My Class-1 is needs renewing anyway but do I need to do another medical check in Saudi or here in Canada by an examiner qualified for ICAO?

3.How are prices these days with flights schools such as Rabgih Wings, SAFA? I heard it's pretty expensive compared to here but never hear exact prices (Ex C-172/hr instructor/hr). I also heard they've come down a bit in pricing from a few years ago.

4.Most likely moving back to Jeddah but there is a chance I might go east; therefore are there any flight schools in the Dammam area similar to Rabigh and SAFA?

Appreciate everyone's input and thanks!

mutt
25th Jul 2015, 07:53
Flying wise, you should stay in Canada, get you instructors rating, then you might have a chance as an instructor in Saudi.

1: Night rating doesn't exist in FAA/GACA system.
2: New Saudi medical required
3: About US$300 or so
4: Nothing in Damman

There are also places where you can fly microlights and gyrocopters, so these might be more suitable to your budget.

Good Luck

SVnerd
25th Jul 2015, 13:23
Thanks Mutt!! Always the bet source of info for the region! :D

I would stay in Canada but jobs here are far few in between. I'm a mechanical engineer and it's been 6 months with no luck here. My chances for a career back in the Gulf are better which is why I was asking about the license conversion.

The 300$ price sounds about right. If all plans are good inshallah I should be able to afford that with whatever job I find in the Gulf; however I'll definitely have to scrutinize my budget more closely.

The microlights sounds like a good idea, yet I still prefer being in a C-172 going cross country with an E-6B in my hand trying to figure out my ETE lol. I seem to love the complexity.

jackx123
11th Aug 2015, 16:39
convert to EASA and fly in Europe. from FAA it's 5h flying and pass in air law and human performance I believe to get an EASA ticket.