PDA

View Full Version : ex- RAF Church Fenton Airshow - 26th Sep 2015

EESDL
23rd Jul 2015, 01:29
MOD - plug for new Airshow at Ex RAF Church Fenton.

New owner is staging an Air Display on 26th Sep. he realises it is at the end of the season but he has only recently secured ownership of the site.
From what I have seen so far - it has every chance of becoming a successful and credible annual event. Encouraging news for a change.

Having been involved with the 'glory days' of the Leuchars BofB displays - I have been asked to assist. Am involved in the production and development and various charities have been chosen to benefit; Help for Heroes etc
Please feel free to PM me for further details - especially if you're still serving and will be flying about that weekend ;-)
Mustang, Spitfire, RV8, Meteor T7, Venom, Vampire, Anson, Rapide, Huey, Loach, The Fighter Collection, JP4 - not the fuel ;-) - Harvard, 3-ship Gnats are on the card so far.
Please let me know of other's you think might be available.
Rotary or fixed wing, all welcome.

Audax
24th Jul 2015, 06:09
EESDL. nothing on the Leeds East web site, any further details?

As a kid, I used to attend the CF air shows, then spent some time flying Chipmunks there during the infamous Valley to Chivenor hold in the late 60s. Subsequently did many ccts there in JPs and finally spent untold hours around there in the Tucano. Still live locally so will be very interested if this air show comes off.

BobGrim
25th Jul 2015, 12:18
I could fly for you if you wish. RedHawk Fournier RF4D, four minutes of balletic aerobatics with twin golden smoke trails plus a waving run, all set to music. No charge this year, just overnight accommodation before & after, return fuel and some free tickets/passes.

See my facebook page RedHawk photos for details.

Yours, Bob Grimstead

skua
25th Jul 2015, 13:40
Aaah, well remember the days of the SSAFA CF airshow when I was a nipper. Best of luck.

1.3VStall
25th Jul 2015, 17:34
skua and audax - me too!

Attended many shows at CF in the 60s when I was an ATC cadet.

We had a proper air force in those days!

EESDL
25th Jul 2015, 19:26
Website will go live this week once owner is happy we can cope with late start.
The Great Yorkshire Airshow.
Any willing participants please contact Mark in the office on [email protected]
Accommodation could be in one of the blocks ;-)
Joke

sp221156
26th Jul 2015, 09:54
Would be great to have a show at CF again. First went in 1970 and most years through to the mid 80's. Some great displays and the odd incident. Anyone recall Northair's Beagle 206 doing a wheels up landing...?

Exnomad
26th Jul 2015, 20:05
When at No 2BFTS at Derby in 1951, Church Fenton was one of our alternates, empotythen, but often flew over it.

sp221156
26th Jul 2015, 22:56
Be nice if Spitfire BM597 came to fly in the display as prior to restoration to flying status it was gate guard at Church Fenton for many years.

EESDL
27th Jul 2015, 19:54
not sure about BM597 but MH434 is on the program - as well as a rather large Delta aircraft ;-)
Possibly its last flying display ever.......and certainly last one North of Watford Gap ;-)

sp221156
28th Jul 2015, 07:53
MH434 will be fine....... I can handle any amount of Spitfires you would care to throw at me. It would be nice if there were photo opportunities whilst aircraft are parked up on the flightline (a la Duxford).

It will be nice to see the Delta Lady one last time. I am in Dorset on the Friday before the show but I will be back that evening ready for the event.

More power to the elbow of the organisers and I am sure you will keep us up to date with news of the show as things progress.

thelad
31st Jul 2015, 17:16
Emailed the address you gave me EESDL but have had no reply so not sure if they got it? seems to be a lack of info at the moment or are they not sure on details yet as the facebook page and website are up and running.

7of9
31st Jul 2015, 21:28
Tickets can be purchased here.

The Great Yorkshire Air Show | Attractions (http://www.yorkshireairshow.co.uk/attractions.html)

Trev:ok:

EESDL
2nd Aug 2015, 16:10
Ironing out the typos in webpage - media guy got a fastball to produce some flyers for the Gamefair!
TheLad
Next week should see some relative clarity as we discover what is what.
All hands have been on getting the premises licence application and local safety plan in order - inc making a start on the Ops Manual
Etc

CaptainChairborne
2nd Aug 2015, 16:39
Any chance visitors can fly in on the day?

EESDL
2nd Aug 2015, 17:52
Captain Chairbourne
There is every chance - indeed the owner is encouraging it - details should have been posted online by now but CLA Rush job etc etc
Provisional limiting flying visitors to 150 aircraft - there will be a slot booking system online and ticket prices etc etc
Give me this week to sort it out

airspace alpha
6th Aug 2015, 04:32
I bet they won't beat May 1970. Mil involvement then was: 4 x USAF RF4c from 10TRW, 4 x F100D of 48TFW and an HH3e. The Belgians had 2 x F104s and a Pembroke and the dutch lobbed in an F104 as well. RAF had a full range from Gnats to a Vulcan. There were no less than 28 Chipmunks and three Spitfires: BN597 on gate, K9942 on static and PM631 flying. Quite a few civvies around and the highlight of the morning was Northair Beagle B206, at that time almost new, having a whoopsy on landing in front of the entire crowd. Ah the memories.

sp221156
6th Aug 2015, 11:56
Yes, I recall the Northair Beagle 206 and it's 'mishap'. I may be wrong (it was some years ago) but I think another Northair B206 did something similar at Leeds/Bradford a bit later. Would be nice if Spitfire BM597 came back and did a display now its flying again as a tribute to its gate days at CF.

Top West 50
6th Aug 2015, 19:31
About the 1970 show, I think the Belgian 104s were called the "Slivers" and who put on quite the most aerodynamicly defying display of brute force I have ever seen!

thelad
8th Aug 2015, 11:52
Still no reply from them, has anybody had any contact from them?:ugh:

rickastley
11th Aug 2015, 19:31
XH558 Vulcan confirmed on Twitter.

thing
12th Aug 2015, 01:24
7 of 9:

Hi mate are you flying in? Will get a plane load up there I think, should be a laugh.

7of9
12th Aug 2015, 11:36
Thing,

Pm sent.

falcon12
12th Aug 2015, 12:29
Not confirmed on the VTTS web site yet but if it's to happen, it will probably be its final display flight. Fore sure, a massive cowed can be expected and lots of traffic jams if the public response around the rest of the UK is anything to go by.. Eye watering time - again!

countertorque
12th Aug 2015, 12:37
Not confirmed on the VTTS web site yet but if it's to happen, it will probably be its final display flight. Fore sure, a massive cowed can be expected and lots of traffic jams if the public response around the rest of the UK is anything to go by.. Eye watering time - again!

Time to invest in a couple of boxes of tissues 'cos it's happening!

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

Hueymeister
12th Aug 2015, 16:49
Now there's a show I'd would love to come and see....shame I live in Canada now!:sad:

Good luck EESDL, I'm sure it'll be a raving success.

Num vi insanus in Salopia!

thelad
12th Aug 2015, 20:19
XH558 is booked and was showing on VTTS website list and will most likely be her last outing in the sky's.

The show site has been updated and now has a download PDF (which has some rather strange comments on about Waddo) for anyone wishing to come for Trade/Exhibitor.

OC UGSAS
12th Aug 2015, 22:37
Good luck!

The RAF CF SSAFA Air Days were magic!

Roxy

EESDL
13th Aug 2015, 09:03
Hueymeister - you get around ;-)
Huge smile as soon as I read the 'motto'

anybody wishing to fly-in - it is now £15/seat, book online, that includes entry etc etc
Still looking for static displays as 450-acres to fill ;-)

Web site is pretty much sorted now

The GNAT team hope to be back in the air in time - cracking way to honour their colleague

any other questions best contact me direct: [email protected]

Fluffy Bunny
13th Aug 2015, 09:10
EESDL, are you looking for any re-enactment/living history displays? I know a group of lads who do 1980's BAOR and are always looking for new events to attend.

EESDL
13th Aug 2015, 10:33
will pm you specific contact

Simplythebeast
25th Aug 2015, 19:35
The Vulcan will save the day! The fact that CF will probably be its last ever display is going to bring many people out regardless.

markstott
2nd Sep 2015, 17:29
Does anyone know if this display is still on. I offered them a Hunter T7 (XL573, now grounded) but hopefully not for long, but I have not heard from the organisers and clearly Hunter T7 Fox1 will not be going.
I also offered a Pembroke C1 for the static but again heard nothing.

EESDL
2nd Sep 2015, 20:03
pm sent
blah blah using up letters

EESDL
2nd Sep 2015, 20:08
approaching 3500 tickets sold so far and yet to start advertising.
tickets available online until midday on the day ;-)

JulieAndrews
2nd Sep 2015, 20:20
As no waddo next year it is a note to traders explaining why there is no fee applied for a stall at Fenton - numbers are unknown but 2-day show in-lieu of Waddo will have different T&Cs - or atleast that is how I read it!
Makes no difference - for a trader to attend for nowt at an airshow where there is traditionally a strong following - and with the Vulcan's last display.........
almost worth taking my gazebo along and getting in for free.............

XH558 is booked and was showing on VTTS website list and will most likely be her last outing in the sky's.

The show site has been updated and now has a download PDF (which has some rather strange comments on about Waddo) for anyone wishing to come for Trade/Exhibitor.

thelad
2nd Sep 2015, 20:31
Mark Stott have you had any time scale on the grounding by the CAA yet ? does the ban apply to the HAA at Scampton?

EESDL, i have sent you a email, they are doing well on the tickets! any idea what a cut off in numbers will be at and do you know how many attended the very last airshow at Fenton ?

also the Vulcan has plans to display in October now so wont be her final display of the year at Fenton.

1.3VStall
2nd Sep 2015, 20:38
thelad - where in October? Please share!

jonw66
2nd Sep 2015, 21:52
The lad
HHA were never grounded apparently according to the Key Historic forum they come under MAA not CAA .
1.3VStall
The Vulcan is planning a 2 day last couple of flights around the country one weekend in October similar to the one they did earlier this year as a farewell its on there website.
Best
Jon

jonw66
2nd Sep 2015, 21:57
1.3V apologies I can't see it on their website I read it on there newsletter email earlier.
Cheers

thelad
3rd Sep 2015, 17:38
Thanks to EESDL i am now booked in for the show, thank you.

Not sure on the locations for the Vulcan but i was told around the 18th of October and they may be some private shows around then also.

jonw66 - I thought so but was not sure with them working with the MOD if they would come under the CAA, thanks for clearing that up as i had seen one flying into base this week, hope they are sorted soon so we can see them flying again at airshows and the press will stop hounding them :bored:

markstott
13th Sep 2015, 12:59
Civilian Hunters are still grounded so though we think they will be released soon but thats not official. However if no news soon and the season coming to an end I think mine will probably be soon tucked up for the winter.

EESDL
17th Sep 2015, 22:13
in the past - public were kept on the South side - quite dustant from statics. Due to the smaller numbers upon ressurrection, we are planning everything Northside - including parking and ground attractions. However, plans for the weekend 2/3 July 2016 are well underway and we expect to fill tarmac with aircraft :-)

leedseagle
25th Sep 2015, 10:38
Hi there
I was wondering if anyone knows to the Church Fenton Frequencies and if they are on airband or military band as am popping down today as they all come in for tomorrows airshow
Cheers
Leedseagle

Army Mover
25th Sep 2015, 10:48
Anybody coming through South Milford > Sherburn, the road is up with long traffic queues; best stick to the ring-road.

thing
25th Sep 2015, 13:48
I was wondering if anyone knows to the Church Fenton Frequencies

126.500 call sign 'Fenton.' Air to ground.

Simplythebeast
25th Sep 2015, 17:00
2/3 July next year, those dates are very close to what would have been the Waddington Airshow. I can see Church Fenton becoming a suitable replacement that will allow the RAF to get on with their busy commmitments and also get rid of any percieved threat to security at Waddington.
Hope all goes well tomorrow, unfortunately though I only live ten minutes away I will be en route to Spain in the afternoon so wont get to see the show.

sir
26th Sep 2015, 15:37
I live just south of Elvington - we just got the Vulcan treatment right over the garden - wonderful! Hope it was good at Fenton, great childhood memories...

Exnomad
26th Sep 2015, 15:48
Remember Church Fenton as one of our alternates when flying from No 2 BFTS at Derby, a very long time ago, used to use it as a turning point to find my way home.

Army Mover
26th Sep 2015, 16:14
Just watched the Vulcan display from our garden; amazing. Thanks for going over our house on the way home. :ok: