16th Jul 2015, 18:49
Today is the 50th of the passing out wings parade at Acklington
Well done to any left alive
I had a drive round the area today, nothing left
PC

pr00ne
16th Jul 2015, 19:06
Nothing left?

Then you missed the J type hanger, the mess buildings and sundry other domestic buildings that survive, albeit within the confines of the prison grounds?
The airfield has returned to agriculture after being extensively surface mined for years.

Rosevidney1
16th Jul 2015, 19:28
Is the hangar still sombre black?

pr00ne
16th Jul 2015, 19:51
Sort of a dark bluey green...

Herod
16th Jul 2015, 20:11
Time marches on. The Officer's Mess at Syerston, scene of many a fun event, is no more. Tinribs, have a go at tracing the other members. A member of my Syerston course traced all those that are still alive, and a number are meeting this weekend. We have a 50th reunion booked for next year.

Not a Crew Chief
17th Jul 2015, 08:33
Acklington is not a name that pops up in everyday conversation.
It's where my dad, Ground Radio Operator, met my mum, NAAFI, 1947ish. As I'm about to attend a school 50th reunion it must be close on 50 years since we held our Northumberland Wing ATC Annual parades there and the NCO Leadership courses.

teeteringhead
17th Jul 2015, 09:18
Time marches on. The Officer's Mess at Syerston, scene of many a fun event, is no more. After having spent some time IIRC as an "Islamic University" or similar.:eek::eek:

Teeters - a (slightly) later Syerston Alumnus

Haraka
17th Jul 2015, 10:13
The old man had worked at the place many times as a company rep. on the JP in the late 50's and early 60's, usually associated with accident investigations.
So, out of idle interest, I visited Syerston with a mate in 1972 when it was on care and maintenance,although the OMQ's were still in use .
We drove in under the barrier ( one of the few incidental advantages of a small sports car).
It was a very singular experience. Immaculately cut grass, buildings all in good order with no broken glass, paint on the asphalt fresh and from somewhere a faint humming sound. Not a soul or vehicle in sight.
Oddly disturbing.

Shackman
17th Jul 2015, 10:33
Obviously not this one then:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/545/19769838605_908b7ed303_c.jpg

Acklington Graduation

Herod
17th Jul 2015, 13:24
Yes, Teeters, it was an Islamic College. I passed by when it was such, and stopped for a look around. Quite an unpleasant feeling about the place, I have to say.