PDA

View Full Version : Myopia

Sun Who
13th Jul 2015, 07:08
If this is true, it would appear the Govt is undertaking a myopic SDSR. IS are only one threat and we should not configure to deal with it at the expense of being able to deal with other contingencies.

I am neither anti-UAS nor anti-SAS by the way.

Defence review: 'Spend more' on SAS and drones - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33500006)

Sun.

Stuff
13th Jul 2015, 07:30
Perhaps the focus on "ooh, look how effective this drone is!" is just to distract the public from noticing that the Tornado GR Force may be up for an early chop.

If you can convince people that it's role on OP SHADER is being covered by drones and SF - which are brilliant because the public doesn't really have any idea how many we actually have - you can cut away another entire aircraft type which is about the only way to make an actual saving.

Myopic - yes, but it will enable Dave to spend billions more on the NHS.

Danny42C
13th Jul 2015, 07:31
Sun Who,

Politician's Reaction:

We must do Something !

This is Something !

Let's do it !

(it'll look nice in the news and show we're Doing Something (oh, by now they'll have forgotten all about the half-billion we were intending to lop off Defence [next SDSR] a few weeks ago).

It was ever thus. :ugh:

Danny42C

Lima Juliet
13th Jul 2015, 07:48
I would like to know where all these extra personnel will come from that are willing and able to pass SF selection - they are called 'special' for a reason or are we going to lower the bar?

As for the RPAS. I think this will be clever politicking. Project SCAVENGER has been on the cards for a while and is likely to be a non-UOR certified MQ-9 Reaper buy. What I suspect will happen is that we will announce the buy of SCAVENGER and run on the UOR for a while, thus increasing the numbers. I think Tornado will run on to planned OSD as the full procurement of SCAVENGER will overlap. I also think that the Taranis capability demonstrator will deliver GR4s long range strategic capability in the future (probably a slightly bigger version of the demonstrator).

There, that's my crystal ball view. Let's see how it shapes up.

LJ

Martin the Martian
13th Jul 2015, 09:28
I did notice on BBC Breakfast a mention of 'more surveillance aircraft'. MPAs?

Davef68
13th Jul 2015, 10:16
That was my thoughts too - he's quoted as saying:

"This could include more spy planes, drones and special forces. In the last five years, I have seen just how vital these assets are in keeping us safe."So we can justify a MPA purchase as a true MMA in the overland role as well.

More special forces doesn't mean neccessarily dilute the selection process, but perhaps spend more supporting equipment and infrastructure.

Wycombe
13th Jul 2015, 10:33
I did notice on BBC Breakfast a mention of 'more surveillance aircraft'. MPAs?

Of course, the Japanese are bringing 2 of their new 4-jet MPA (Kawasaki P-1) all the way to RIAT for this weekend....more than coincidence??

Lima Juliet
13th Jul 2015, 10:40
If we buy the P-1, can I suggest we call them ODDJOB MRA1? :E

http://www.007james.com/i/thumbs/actors/goldfinger/harold_sakata/oddjob-hat.jpg

Lonewolf_50
13th Jul 2015, 15:29
Oh dear, I had thought that Myopia was another of those small African countries that few people can find on a map. :} Well, for those who still look at maps, which I do.

Martin the Martian
13th Jul 2015, 15:39
Of course, the Japanese are bringing 2 of their new 4-jet MPA (Kawasaki P-1) all the way to RIAT for this weekend....more than coincidence??

The Japanese are pushing the P-1 to the MoD, and I have no doubt that bringing a couple over will allow them to show it off to the higher-ups. It is good timing, however.

Trim Stab
13th Jul 2015, 15:42
I would like to know where all these extra personnel will come from that are willing and able to pass SF selection - they are called 'special' for a reason or are we going to lower the bar?

SF selection was made more "relevant" during Telic when they could not get enough through the course. Selection now ends with the Fan Dance (three times up and down Pen y Fan) which used to only be about two-thirds of the way through the old course. This could be construed as "lowering the bar", but I suppose DSF decided that there was no point in making Long Drag the final test when the ability to walk a long way with your house on your back is no longer really relevant. Also, I suppose it was unfairly penalising blokes with a lot of operational experience, coming back from ops, but with no time to train for selection.

Hangarshuffle
13th Jul 2015, 19:15
Have we already simply lost the battle abroad anyway? We beat a retreat out of Iraq and Afghanistan recently after massive effort involving er, just about everything anyway. What's the point of beefing up the Special Forces, there's hardly likely to ever be enough of them now to cover whole huge regions the size of Asia minor.
And what's their tasking anyway? Assassinations and the like? Commando raids, grow up - who are they kidding?
Don't get it.
I'm a contrarian anyway by nature and I hardly ever now believe anything our leaders, (politically or militarily) tell me anyway.
I actually believe my own eyes a little better.
Real world - When I walk around most of the UK these days I sometimes think it would be more handy to have a motivated small army battalions stationed around or within some of our major cities for when the recently arrived nasty half breeds kick off with the more established British old school locals.
Its going to happen one day mark my words. Our lovely isle is now splitting like my old wooden table and widening every day.
I don't think our leaders ever get out much in the real worlds. All this talk of SF and drones is utter poppycock. Get a grip.
Just saying.

MPN11
13th Jul 2015, 19:31
Whilst the P-1 has more than a whiff of credibility, and may indeed be better than the P-8, I have little doubt that MoD will demand numerous changes which will delay IOS and increase costs by a factor of 10.

But then I admit I know nothing about MarOps ... just a detailed insight into how MoD can screw up.

polecat2
13th Jul 2015, 19:52
"I would like to know where all these extra personnel will come from that are willing and able to pass SF selection - they are called 'special' for a reason or are we going to lower the bar?"

I can just see the recruiting adverts.

"The MOD is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are welcome irrespective of sexual orientation, disability, etc....etc."

Polecat

Lonewolf_50
14th Jul 2015, 14:24
Have we already simply lost the battle abroad anyway? We beat a retreat out of Iraq and Afghanistan recently after massive effort involving er, just about everything anyway.
Here's a thought: the point of diminishing returns had been reached before the decision to leave was arrived at. The military force, as a tool, can do a great deal but is still limited in what effect it can cause.

glad rag
14th Jul 2015, 14:30
I'm a contrarian anyway by nature and I hardly ever now believe anything our leaders, (politically or militarily) tell me anyway.
I actually believe my own eyes a little better.

:D I quite agree.

Bigbux
14th Jul 2015, 20:30
Trim Stab

shome mishtake shurely.

Bigbux
14th Jul 2015, 20:38
There is a clear and powerful logic in identifying Daesh as a primary threat to the UK. We won't have to regenerate MPA capability for another 10 years or so:rolleyes: