PDA

View Full Version : FAA Certificate and Rating Question

TheNakedTrader
13th Jul 2015, 07:07
Hi all,

I currently hold the following FAA certificates/ratings:

PPL ASEL Instrument Airplane
PPL AMEL VFR ONLY

I intend to do the Commercial Multi Engine as my initial, and then followed by the Commercial Single Engine Add-On

Based on my understanding, during the commercial multi initial checkride, as I am instrument rated, I will be required to do an engine out approach and a normal two engine approach, after which, upon successful completion, I will have a Commercial Multi Engine Land Instrument Airplane.

But what happens to my PPL AMEL VFR? Do instrument privileges now get conferred onto it just because I hold a Commercial Multi Instrument?

I understand that in order to exercise my commercial qualifications, I need to have a 2nd class medical. What if I dont have a 2nd class at the time of flight? Can I use my commercial certificate to fly a private leisure flight on multi IFR? Or do I have to revert to my private certificate for that purpose, in which case,if the multi ifr doesnt automatically confer upon my PPL AMEL VFR, I effectively cannot fly private multi ifr.

I hope I am making sense here as this is a little confusing even for myself.

If need be, I might have to take a private multi ifr checkride prior to doing a commercial multi ifr initial checkride.

Please advise.

Regards
BRyan

Oceanic815Pilot
13th Jul 2015, 07:52
It's been a while since I instructed but let me take a stab at it...

You can take either a Commercial multi engine checkride VFR or do the Commercial multi engine with instrument. Have a look at the PTS to see what the additional test items are for that ride. I don't know how many approaches etc you would have to do.

Regardless, once you have a commercial multi engine with instrument airplane you won't have a private license any longer. (Assuming you do the commercial single engine as well at some point) The higher license prevails.

When you fly you can be exercising the privileges of either license but if you are exercising the commercial privileges you will need to abide by those applicable regulations and medical provisions.

Ask your CFII for further clarification.

MarkerInbound
13th Jul 2015, 15:50
When you pass the checkride for the commercial MEL the examiner will take your old certificate and give you a new one that says you are "properly qualified to exercise the privileges of commercial pilot." On the back under ratings it will say "instrument airplane" and "multiengine land." It will also say "private privileges single engine land." The instrument rating is not directly tied to a grade of certificate since you have shown instrument proficiency in both SEL and MEL aircraft.

I understand that in order to exercise my commercial qualifications, I need to have a 2nd class medical. What if I dont have a 2nd class at the time of flight? Can I use my commercial certificate to fly a private leisure flight on multi IFR?

Yes. The commercial certificate implies you have met the private standards at one time since you had to hold a private certificate to get the commercial unless you were a military pilot.

Transsonic2000
13th Jul 2015, 17:03
I intend to do the Commercial Multi Engine as my initial, and then followed by the Commercial Single Engine Add-OnHere's how I did it, but at that point I only had a PPL IR ASEL, I decided to get both the CPL ASEL & AMEL and on the same day. Meaning I first went out in the good old C152, did all of the VFR stuff (commercial maneuvers, like lazy eights, chandelles etc.). Then I went out with the multi and I did the instrument and the single-engine stuff. I basically did the "multi" as an add-on and so I complied with the "complex aircraft for CPL checkride" and I saved myself from the hassle of scheduling another check-ride, since it was all done on the same day, saves time and money. And in the end I got a certificate saying "commercial pilot ASEL & AMEL instrument rated.