PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines B737-800 ETOPS?

cargonut
12th Jul 2015, 10:35
Hello All,

I was wondering I don't know if this is the right place to ask be going to give it go.

Are some of the AAL B737-800 ETOPS equipped? they use them from MIA to TXKF and JFK to TKPK and TAPA which sometimes routes them over BDA and L461 any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bdubb

mustangsally
12th Jul 2015, 14:23
Yes, Way back in September of 99 Boeings were certified from 120 to 180. Just google 737-800 ETOP, it is all there.

B-HKD
12th Jul 2015, 16:20
Hello All,

I was wondering I don't know if this is the right place to ask be going to give it go.

Are some of the AAL B737-800 ETOPS equipped? they use them from MIA to TXKF and JFK to TKPK and TAPA which sometimes routes them over BDA and L461 any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bdubb

AA never opted to ETOPS certify their 738s. If they ever did decide to do so, there would be some modifications required, such as HF radios, additional fire bottle in the hold, and dual battery. Equipment which was not purchased as they had no plan on using ETOPS on the B738 and they continue to receive new frames without said equipment.

Any FAR121 operator will have to carry rafts, etc. when operating flights more than 50nm horizontal distance from shore. I believe all AA B738s are equipped with rafts etc. and thus can operated up to 60 minutes from the nearest adequate airport.

The 60 minute maximum distance depends on which OEI (one engine inoperative) speed they dispatch with, Typically 737NG operators will use anywhere from 380-399nm/60minutes. Depending how conservative they want to be.

Here you can see that at 390nm/60minutes there are no issues to Bermuda. (Really no issues above 350nm/60minutes to Bermuda).

http://i59.tinypic.com/23qyr6u.png

Yes, Way back in September of 99 Boeings were certified from 120 to 180. Just google 737-800 ETOP, it is all there.

He was asking if American Airlines B737-828s are ETOPS certified, not if the 737NG is ETOPS 180 capable.

None
12th Jul 2015, 18:45
B-HKD has provided a well written and accurate response.

Also noteworthy is that just because an aircraft is manufactured to ETOPS standards does not mean it is approved by the regulator to do so. That is a different process for the Ops Specs folks. However, for the USA, once ETOPS certification for an airframe (and pilot authorization) is attained, each individual flight must be specifically dispatched within an approved ETOPS parameter (120 minutes, 180 minutes, etc.). As a consequence, that flight must then also have an ETOPS Pre Departure Check accomplished be ETOPS certified mechanics/engineers. And there are additional procedures pilots must accomplish prior to entering ETOPS airspace.

ETOPS flights (beyond 60 minutes from nearest adequate airport) are being flown by 737-700s, 800s, and 900ERs today. And I suspect there will be more routes flown by these types in the near future.