PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter pilot in jail in 2000?

Ascend Charlie
12th Jul 2015, 08:55
On the TV tonight, there was a comment from John Killick, who was broken out of jail in Sydney in 2000 (or was it 1999?) by Lucy Dudko, who hijacked a B47 (flown by old mate T.J.).

Killick said that he had been in a cell with a helicopter pilot, who had given him lots of ideas of how to use a chopper to break out.

I can only recall one pilot who had gone to jail - he had a private licence from 1993, bought an H300 to transport marijuana from his brother's farm near Port Macquarie. He went to jail in the later 90s for smuggling cigarettes across the border without paying the duty on them. Some years later he went down again for defrauding the Commonwealth superannuation found out of millions of bucks.

Maybe it was him?

airpolice
12th Jul 2015, 09:26
Perhaps he shared a cell with a pilot who was in jail for matters unconnected with aviation.

John Eacott
12th Jul 2015, 13:48
Wasn't one of the Mickelberg brothers a helicopter pilot?

meloz
12th Jul 2015, 17:33
Brian Mickelberg was a fixed wing pilot.

RVDT
12th Jul 2015, 20:11
Was it Parramatta Correctional Centre?

Dave S. - recreational substances?

Nigel Osborn
12th Jul 2015, 21:35
If I remember rightly Brian was killed in a fixed wing crash but flew helicopters for Bristow out of Karratha.

I think he was jailed in Perth.

Heliringer
12th Jul 2015, 22:17
There was a pilot who used to work in PNG that got jailed in NSW around that time. He could have shared with him. I last heard of him when he was finishing his sentence in Long Bay around 2003. So it's feasible.

John Eacott
13th Jul 2015, 13:26
Brian was a helicopter and fixed wing pilot, who died in a helicopter crash in 1986. He was chummy with the Perth 7 News pilot, which gave them (7 News) a few headsup in the case. He was cleared on appeal before he died.

meloz
13th Jul 2015, 18:51
Brian was killed in a light twin fixed wing due to fuel exhaustion. From memory it had a dodgy seal on the filler cap and venturi effect robbed him of his fuel.