PDA

View Full Version : What we were really scattering in those simulated chemical attacks

NutLoose
10th Jul 2015, 00:36
Blimey

How the British Government subjected thousands of people to chemical and biological warfare trials during Cold War (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/magazine/how-the-british-government-subjected-thousands-of-people-to-chemical-and-biological-warfare-trials-during-cold-war/ar-AAcJVyM?ocid=iehp)

Robert Cooper
10th Jul 2015, 02:11
They talking about the food in the cookhouse?

Bob C :E

Danny42C
10th Jul 2015, 02:23
We were doing it with mustard gas on Army volunteers in S. India '44/'45. AFAIK, didn't lose any.

But when Porton Down were doing Sarin experiments post-war, they lost one airman.

Danny42C.

rh200
10th Jul 2015, 04:40
They talking about the food in the cookhouse?

That would be the stuff lace with bromide:E.

Wander00
10th Jul 2015, 08:33
ISTR volunteers being invited to take part in trials at the "Common Cold Research Centre" at Porton Down, which later turned out to have been chemical agent trials.

Al R
10th Jul 2015, 09:06
Don't ask me who was on Question Time last night. However, I can quite happily discuss the use of Dipropylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether for use to aid chemical agent simulation all day long.

Not happily maybe.

teeteringhead
10th Jul 2015, 09:40
That would be the stuff lace with bromide ... which seems to be working 40 years later ..... :{

Ripline
10th Jul 2015, 12:17
Oh pleeeze don't tell me that the chemtrail conspiracists had it right all along......

Ripline

Martin the Martian
11th Jul 2015, 09:33
I dare say it won't be long before somebody tries to sue the government over it.

Wander00
11th Jul 2015, 10:05
ISTR a case or cases over the "Common Cold" trials

Haraka
11th Jul 2015, 10:50
ISTR a case or cases over the "Common Cold" trials

Oh Yes. Jokingly , at the Towers as a Cadet, I suggested that it seemed a good ploy for a couple of weeks away.
The immediate reaction of certain of our SNCO Rock Instructors rang loud alarm bells........

air pig
11th Jul 2015, 13:32
The New York subway and the London Tube were favourites for bacterial and virus propagation trials. By dropping a flask usually in the shape of a lightbulb at a station they could detect how far the subject pathogen travelled over a number of days.

Slow Biker
12th Jul 2015, 19:45
Wow, first post after lurking for so long. Back in the day at Gutersloh I had on top of my cabinet a piece if shattered Harrier canopy for training purpose. I had a visit from a Flt Lt who often acted as DS on exercise. He had been informed that nerve agent would craze an aircraft canopy; with that announcement he produced a bottle of Wintergreen oil. This is a similar colour and consistency as nerve agent he said, and continued to pour some onto the piece of canopy. I was left with instruction to monitor the effect of the agent on the canopy and report back. True, I promise. No amount of argument would convince him that Wintergreen is not Sarin, this an engineering officer too. Well it did have an effect, I got stick for making the office stink like a dodgy massage parlour.
In later years I was involved in clearing mustard gas storage sites which would throw up the occasional 10lb Ground Bomb which was indeed used for training, but that was before H&S spoiled the fun.