PDA

View Full Version : Boy, they certainly spoil Officers today

NutLoose
8th Jul 2015, 02:12
Just look

Main Radio Article Player (http://bcove.me/o1mj2c3y)

Whenurhappy
8th Jul 2015, 04:03
Thats' s a rather cheap & nasty wine to include; how about something from South Australia or Marlborough?

Sun Who
8th Jul 2015, 05:24
Utter Genius.

uffington sb
8th Jul 2015, 05:38
But wouldn't his batman take it out of the box and prepare it for him?

Danny42C
8th Jul 2015, 05:46
Beats the old "K" Ration into a cocked hat ! (but where's the toilet paper ?)

crackling jet
8th Jul 2015, 08:15
That is the Marine Corporal !!

Wensleydale
8th Jul 2015, 08:29
Surely, the candelabra should be silver with at least two candles in case one of them blows out leaving the officer unable to light his cigar.

ORAC
8th Jul 2015, 08:45
Obvious spoof, cheap sausages for breakfast? Much too common and bland.

The proper pack contains devilled kidneys and kedgeree.

Old-Duffer
8th Jul 2015, 08:52
When the scales of field equipment for airborne forces were being considered - circa 1942 - one item was how many sheets of loo paper. This seemed to baffle the officers who formed the necessary (ney vital) sub committee, so history has it that they decided to ask the orderly who was looking after the staff.

He is reputed to have answered - quick as a flash - 'four, Sir'.

'On what do you base that' he was asked.

'One up, one down, one across and one for polish' was the response.

Old Duffer

PS The days when sheets of loo paper were over printed with Government property, loo paper was known as; the Army Blank Form.

Hydromet
8th Jul 2015, 09:03
RSM addresses parade, holding up roll of toilet paper. "You may use.." (tears off slowly & deliberately) "two sheets of paper. You will not do this!" (tears off about 2m of paper, places between legs and see-saws it back and forth.)

BEagle
8th Jul 2015, 12:19
After 48 hours on 'compo' rations, any actual opportunity to require the use of 'Paper, toilet, bum for the wiping with' would be pretty unlikely....:uhoh:

Madbob
8th Jul 2015, 13:23
Hydromet

I can remember being taught that it was, three sheets....."one polish and two shine" - that was in the days when the paper also had Government Property printed on every sheet.

Happy days.

MB

A2QFI
9th Jul 2015, 13:31
And was shiny and "medicated with Izal Germicide" ISTR

jindabyne
9th Jul 2015, 17:43
And a little stiff - the paper that is/was

Cornish Jack
9th Jul 2015, 17:57
that was in the days when the paper also had Government Property printed on every sheet ... and had a little blank square outline in the corner of each sheet. This was to allow officers to tick, to indicate that it had been used!:E

NutLoose
9th Jul 2015, 18:25
I was taught one folded it in four and tore off the corner, one then pushed owns finger through the hole in the centre when unfolded and used it to help scoop the poop, post poop scooping, one slid it up ones finger cleaning that, then taking the torn of corner used that to clean ones nail...

It was and still remains the only Government white paper ever worth a sh*te.

Rosevidney1
9th Jul 2015, 20:30
Luxury! At my school we had toilet paper called Bronco which was as kind to young rear ends as greaseproof paper! The headmaster used to boast about it at every opportunity. I think the old misanthrope probably had shares in the company.

smujsmith
9th Jul 2015, 20:35
Beagle has it absolutely correct. I well remember as a Halton apprentice doing the "week in Wales" on compo and only managing two visits to the ablutions. The Babies heads from the compo packs were gratefully consumed, I ended up with a surfeit of "bog paper". Would that make toilet paper in the compo pack a "contradiction of terms" ?

Smudge :ok:

barnstormer1968
9th Jul 2015, 21:27
Knowing that the 'officers ration pack' lecture has been doing the rounds for at least 30 years I do wonder just how old the routine is.

Robert Cooper
10th Jul 2015, 02:08
Should always carry a small jar of curry powder. Only way to make that stuff palatable! :)

Bob C

FantomZorbin
10th Jul 2015, 08:36
'Government Property' bog paper was fantastic for moulding filler on car renovations! When applied shiny side to the filler it left a superb flat and shiny surface on removal! :ok:

Union Jack
10th Jul 2015, 10:24
Does one therefore assume that you were working on crappy cars?:D

Jack

Alan Mills
13th Jul 2015, 08:01
Why was Government Property Toilet paper used on the Star Trek USS Enterprise?

FantomZorbin
13th Jul 2015, 08:38
Union Jack

How could you possibly know that!? :ok::D

Pontius Navigator
13th Jul 2015, 08:46
That paper was waterproof too. Like magazine paper reusable.

Danny42C
13th Jul 2015, 09:26
Alan Mills,

To encourage voluntary constipation ! (first man who uses the Elsan has to empty it).

Also known as Army Blank Form, which was the original "Bumff" (Bum Fodder): this later was extended to cover all official paper work.

Tended to fold into sharp creases, could inflict painful scrapes on Piles.

Widely also used was the old (2d) Radio Times, which was slightly more flexible than newspaper.

In the Raj, a plantain leaf made an acceptable substitute. The locals often carried round a little brass pot of water to help matters. They performed al fresco, usually beside railway lines. :*

The Roman legionary had a small sponge on the end of a stick, which he dunked in water. Suppose the Centurions had a better class of sponge (and olive oil to finish off ?).

A fascinating subject.

Anything else you'd like to know ?

Danny42C.

EDIT: Just remembered, the trade name of the stuff was IZAL

Flight_Idle
13th Jul 2015, 16:28
I'm getting slow in my old age & only realised the video was a spoof, halfway through.

I joined up in early 1970 & was terrified of having the training staff find soft bog roll in my locker (I imagined it to be a chargeable offence) assuming the 'Government property' paper being there to toughen us up & make men of us.

It didn't work very well with me, the rebound being that I often like to go out & strut my stuff in my favourite Cheongsam. Horses for courses & all that.

BEagle
13th Jul 2015, 17:46
Alan Mills asked: Why was Government Property Toilet paper used on the Star Trek USS Enterprise?

The answer to this well-known schoolboy query is simple - to defeat Klingons!

MPN11
13th Jul 2015, 18:46
My boarding school in Jamaica did not provide bog-roll ... it was part of your tuck-box kit each term. Referred to as "toosh-pops', it was either "Sandrex" or "Softrex", and it was always a joy to see a Prefect rushing around trying to beg a sheet or three from the junior boys after his supply had expired. *

* memories of an episode of "Porridge" there.

NutLoose
13th Jul 2015, 19:55
You should have sold it to him, you could have cleaned up :O

Tom Joad
13th Jul 2015, 22:26
I trust that was wild salmon and not farmed:p

Tom

smujsmith
14th Jul 2015, 21:47
Beagle, #28

Thanks for that, you just put the question to something I've known the answer to for years , if you see what I mean!!

Smudge:ok: