PDA

View Full Version : Dual qualified aviation medical examiners/airline pilots

bosbok
6th Jul 2015, 20:44
Greetings all!

I know it is probably a fairly small niche, but I'm trying to get an idea of how many dual qualified and active AME/airline pilots are out there. Any leads to or names of individuals that are simultaneously practicing aviation medicine and flying commercially would be much appreciated. There are a few military pilot physicians around, but I'm specifically trying to reach out to other civilians in this position, irrespective of country or carrier.

Many thanks,
Bjorn
South Africa

Rwy in Sight
6th Jul 2015, 21:09
Few or several years ago, definitely more than 10 I read here about the case of a Virgin Airlines pilot who was exactly what you are looking for. He /she was a physician doing medicals and flying out of Gatwick. Sorry I couldn't be more of assistance.

Rwy in Sight

bosbok
7th Jul 2015, 07:00
Thanks RiS! Any info is much appreciated, even if the exact details are not available.

I believe BMI had two at one stage. BA possibly also had one and there may have been another at Finnair. All of this is very much second hand information, hence the reason for starting this thread!

Ollie Onion
8th Jul 2015, 09:09
BA certainly had a couple of qualified Dr's who flew. I used to go and see a BMI pilot based at Belfast City airport who did medicals 3 days per month. I assume he would now be at BA after the merger.

bosbok
8th Jul 2015, 09:21
Indeed all of the above UK based pilots may be a single individual! Hard to say unless I get some names. Thanks for the responses so far!